• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Spring Training

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Villar has the most at-bats (11) on the Giants without a hit. Does that matter? Probably not. If he goes like 2-30 in spring training and begins the year in a slump, then that might be the time to pay attention.
It isn’t earth-shattering, but it also isn’t good.

As I have said many times before, I don’t sweat bad spring numbers, but I PREFER good numbers. All things being equal, I would prefer our hitter gets a HR rather than a K (and vice versa for our pitchers). But maybe the hitter is playing with a new swing style, or only looking for outside pitches. Or maybe the pitcher is working on a new pitch, so is ONLY throwing that pitch.

These games are practice. Not a game. Not a game. Not a game. We are talking about practice.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn’t earth-shattering, but it also isn’t good.

As I have said many times before, I don’t sweat bad spring numbers, but I PREFER good numbers. All things being equal, I would prefer our hitter gets a HR rather than a K (and vice versa for our pitchers). But maybe the hitter is playing with a new swing style, or only looking for outside pitches. Or maybe the pitcher is working on a new pitch, so is ONLY throwing that pitch.

These games are practice. Not a game. Not a game. Not a game. We are talking about practice.
It is and it isn't. For guys like Logan Webb and Wilmer Flores, it is merely practice and the chance to make any tweaks that they and/or the coaching staff want them to make. For guys like Mitch Haniger and Ross Stripling, its about getting to know the new team. For guys like Michael Conforto and Anthony DeSclafani, its about showing that they are 100% healthy and getting back into a routine. For the youngsters and NRI guys from the farm, who never had a chance anyway, its about showing something for the future. However, there are the borderline guys who need to show their best in camp to get a roster spot. For them, these are almost as important as playoff games. They need to show that they can hit, or pitch, in the big leagues, and their numbers mean a lot. I think Villar is somewhere between that and Flores-level. He's more secure than the borderline guys (thanks a good showing last year) but he has to show something if he wants confidence from the brass that he belongs on this team. Unfortunately, his poor start may get into his head and cause him to press harder than he needs to in games. We will see.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is and it isn't. For guys like Logan Webb and Wilmer Flores, it is merely practice and the chance to make any tweaks that they and/or the coaching staff want them to make. For guys like Mitch Haniger and Ross Stripling, its about getting to know the new team. For guys like Michael Conforto and Anthony DeSclafani, its about showing that they are 100% healthy and getting back into a routine. For the youngsters and NRI guys from the farm, who never had a chance anyway, its about showing something for the future. However, there are the borderline guys who need to show their best in camp to get a roster spot. For them, these are almost as important as playoff games. They need to show that they can hit, or pitch, in the big leagues, and their numbers mean a lot. I think Villar is somewhere between that and Flores-level. He's more secure than the borderline guys (thanks a good showing last year) but he has to show something if he wants confidence from the brass that he belongs on this team. Unfortunately, his poor start may get into his head and cause him to press harder than he needs to in games. We will see.
Sure. Everyone is in their own zone. The catchers this year are an example of that. Both the top 2 spots are almost entirely open. The FAVORITES are Bart/Perez/Sabol. But Wynns has an outside chance to break into that. And Sabol has other variables factoring in (lack of roster flexibility as well as his ability to play other positions). And Villar is good enough to deserve a locked spot, but his options and other player’s circumstances may squeeze him off the opening day roster.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. Everyone is in their own zone. The catchers this year are an example of that. Both the top 2 spots are almost entirely open. The FAVORITES are Bart/Perez/Sabol. But Wynns has an outside chance to break into that. And Sabol has other variables factoring in (lack of roster flexibility as well as his ability to play other positions). And Villar is good enough to deserve a locked spot, but his options and other player’s circumstances may squeeze him off the opening day roster.
Speaking of catchers, Baseball Savant came out with a new metric to evaluate a catcher's blocking ability called Blocks Above Average. Below are how the Giants primary catchers rated in 2022:

Joey Bart: -9 BAA
Austin Wynns: 0 BAA
Curt Casali: +3 BAA

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of catchers, Baseball Savant came out with a new metric to evaluate a catcher's blocking ability called Blocks Above Average. Below are how the Giants primary catchers rated in 2022:

Joey Bart: -9 BAA
Austin Wynns: 0 BAA
Curt Casali: +3 BAA
Once again, Wynns is about average. I do wonder if he got too harsh a review, from fans and the FO, for 2022.
Bart really is going to have to hit to stay on this team.

I wonder if, during or after this season, teams will be looking more at catcher's release speed and accuracy on stolen base attempts.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, Wynns is about average. I do wonder if he got too harsh a review, from fans and the FO, for 2022.
Bart really is going to have to hit to stay on this team.

I wonder if, during or after this season, teams will be looking more at catcher's release speed and accuracy on stolen base attempts.
Bart needs to concentrate on his defense. His offense is not near enough to carry him through his career. If he doesn’t become at least a slightly above average defensive catcher, his bat is not good enough to move to DH or First.

At least Bailey (supposedly) already has superior defense in his back pocket. If that is all he develops, he is already almost guaranteed a journeyman’s career.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harry got slapped around today

11 batters faced, 5H, BB, 2K, HR.
Spring ERA now at a cool 23.63

Forto hit his second bomb.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bart needs to concentrate on his defense. His offense is not near enough to carry him through his career.
I don't know how you can say that from one season in the Bigs after being rushed through the minors.

A lotta big conclusions coming from SSSs here lately.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carlos Rodon has a left forearm strain, no throw for 7-10 days. Will start the season on the IL. #yankees Per Brian Cashman.

Just sayin....

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants have signed P Logan Shore to a minor league contract. Presumably, this does not include a camp invite.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants have signed P Logan Shore to a minor league contract. Presumably, this does not include a camp invite.
Wonder what they see in him? His numbers aren't impressive and he is not young (for a guy who has yet to make the big leagues).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meh

Just org depth to eat innings.
Except they've got plenty of org depth already. I understand depth when it is needed. Sometimes it just seems excessive. How about give the guy who is already trying to get to AAA the spot instead of signing a mediocre guy from another org? As I mentioned elsewhere, there are over 30 pitchers competing for probably 18 spots in Sacramento's pitching staff.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except they've got plenty of org depth already. I understand depth when it is needed. Sometimes it just seems excessive. How about give the guy who is already trying to get to AAA the spot instead of signing a mediocre guy from another org? As I mentioned elsewhere, there are over 30 pitchers competing for probably 18 spots in Sacramento's pitching staff.
No disagreements from me.

Minor league churn at its finest.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No disagreements from me.

Minor league churn at its finest.
At least the 40 man roster seems more stable (thus far) than last year.
With Shore, is this a case of someone else's trinket looks shinier than your own so you must get it?