• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Lions prospects

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting take from TDN as we could use a swing Tackle in the making should Nelson or Skipper not pan out in 2022. It's always good to draft an OT every 2-3 years. Waletzko will need 1-2 years and that would be fine if he were a late day 3 pick. He definitely has the athletic profile. He might be available in that late 5th round to top of early 6th round pick. @Old Lion will hate my use of RAS, unless it's about Travon Walker, but Waletzko was the No. 1 rated OT at RAS. Just sayin' @Old Lion

MATT WALETZKO, UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA​

Matt Waletzko may be my preferred small school offensive tackle prospect in the 2022 NFL Draft. Few players made evaluators do a double take at the combine like Waletzko did. The University of North Dakota representative measured in at 6-foot-8 and 312 pounds with arms longer than 36 inches. Waletzko then displayed rare athletic ability considering his size and position, running the 40-yard dash in 5.03 seconds.

Waletzko's length and powerful lower body make him a highly intriguing Day 3 developmental prospect. Waletzko will face a big transition to the NFL coming from such a small FCS program, but an appropriate and qualified offensive line coach should enjoy the process of attempting to mold his rare tools and unique measurements. Adding core strength and playing with greater consistency on a snap-by-snap basis are areas of focus for Waletzko going forward.

View attachment 294619
Actually I really like this kid. Definitely worth a stab later in the draft. He would be a luxury though.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I really like this kid. Definitely worth a stab later in the draft. He would be a luxury though.

Luxury, how and why do you see it that way?

Nelson sucked last year unless he was the sixth O-Lineman in 12 personnel.

There's Nelson and Skipper so far as backup or swing tackles. I do not see that as being a luxury when 5th round and beyond are mostly players for development.

I don't care what player is chosen, but an OT needs to be drafted. We have enough players for Center and OG development: Brown, McCollum, Stenberg and Kraemer.

Boo on you :scratch::dhd:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of late talk about McDuffie

I'd take Kyler Gordon before McDuffie. The latter is probably better suited for nickel/slot, but he can play outside.

Gordon can do both also, but I see him being better suited for outside.

Jimmy Lake has had some players develop pretty well and play good to very good minus Sidney Jones.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disappears late in games though. I would rather have Hutch.

In 55+ years of watching CFB, I've yet to see any CFB or Pro Edge Rusher with that explosive of a first step.

I simply hope all of these rumors are just that, rumors, and the kid balls out wherever he ends up playing.

If Holmes doesn't draft Thibodeaux and Hutch is gone at No. 1 then we'll have the answer to any questions about where his head is at.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disappears late in games though. I would rather have Hutch.

Hutchinson won't be available for us.
But if you are talking about overall in the draft. He still reminds me more of a Ryan Kerrigan than a JJ Watt upside guy.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we really trading for Deebo? Because that would be fantastic.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully the Lions can use him as bait to get a team to trade up.

Or just take him for ourselves and stop letting other teams draft all the good QBs (Herbert).

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure as hell wasn't referring to Alex Smith. He wasn't drafted by Baalke.
Did you notice that those first four names were all defensive players?

ALDON Smith.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can add this to the new banner after next week:

3EC5E225-F3AC-4B19-BC2B-F64137EDD6A3.jpeg

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 55+ years of watching CFB, I've yet to see any CFB or Pro Edge Rusher with that explosive of a first step.

I simply hope all of these rumors are just that, rumors, and the kid balls out wherever he ends up playing.

If Holmes doesn't draft Thibodeaux and Hutch is gone at No. 1 then we'll have the answer to any questions about where his head is at.
As long as it is not a QB I would be OK with any of the edge guys or even London.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hutchinson won't be available for us.
But if you are talking about overall in the draft. He still reminds me more of a Ryan Kerrigan than a JJ Watt upside guy.
Kerrigan is better than anyone in this draft IMO. I think most of these guys are overhyped or have some big unknowns.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting take from ESPN Jeff Legwold on his 2022 draft TOP 100
Longtime draft guru Jeff Legwold picks this year's top prospects. Eighty-three of his picks went in the top 100 in 2021.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Legwold has Thibodeaux as No. 11 overall

The following from Legwold

27. Quay Walker, ILB, Georgia, 6-3 ¾, 241 (4.52)

Some say this is too high for Walker, and he won't consistently make the splash plays. Trust your eyes, he understands what offenses are trying to do, plays with recognition and is disciplined in his assignments. Walker waited his turn to play in a star-studded defense, with 15 of his 17 career starts coming in 2021.

34. Jalen Pitre, S, Baylor, 5-11, 198 (4.44)

Defensive backs coaches say they want to coach Pitre. He understands what offenses want to do and routinely is around the ball, with 19 tackles for loss last season and 36 in his career. The team that looks past his limitations in coverage situations and asks him to do what he does best will get a gem.

BB_7: This is a great take on Pitre, imo

50. Christian Watson, WR, North Dakota State, 6-4 1/8, 208 (4.36)

Watson is one of the prospects who benefitted the most from a week at the Senior Bowl, as evaluators saw him match up with some of the draft's best defensive backs. Watson offers more than he was asked to do as largely a down-the-field threat in North Dakota State's offense. Watson is a long strider with elite top speed. He has return skills to go with 57 plays in his college career of at least 20 yards.

57. Bryan Cook, S, Cincinnati, 6-0 ¾, 206 (DNR)

Cook, who suffered a left shoulder injury in November and had surgery after the season, did not work out at the combine or at his pro day. He is a former cornerback whose physicality along the line of scrimmage and ability in coverage -- he played as a slot defender among his many duties -- will make him a popular prospect.

BB_72: Damn, I like Cook, but I'm sure about TOP 60. At No.97 I could possibly see.

63. George Pickens, WR, Georgia, 6-3 ¼, 195 (4.47)

He tore the ACL in his right knee in spring drills last year and played four games this past season. The scouts who like Pickens really like him, and those who quibble a bit wonder if he's physical enough to consistently win the ball in contested situations. He averaged 15 yards per catch during his Georgia career, 21.4 per catch in limited duty last season (four games, five receptions).

65. Brian Asamoah, ILB, Oklahoma, 6-0 1/4, 226 (4.56)

He's 4 inches shorter but six pounds heavier than Hamilton, who is the top safety on the board, so some evaluators see a tweener linebacker/safety. He is explosive in his pursuit of the ball, and 56% of his tackles were solo efforts. Special teams' coaches will take note.

81. Leo Chenal, ILB, Wisconsin, 6-2 5/8, 250 (4.53)

Chenal has a tough, physical presence and is one of the best run-defenders on the board. He will need the right scheme fit given he's not nearly as proficient in coverage as some others, but defensive coordinators who keep him busy with what he does best will be rewarded. Chenal had 115 tackles, 18.5 tackles for loss and eight sacks last season and 42 tackles for loss over the past two seasons.

BB_72: The biggest reason why I'm not on-board with Chenal. He doesn't have the instincts in coverage and is mostly late recognizing. He's superb at blitzing though and even off the edge too. He fits Hoodie's scheme though.

82. Cole Strange, G, Tennessee-Chattanooga, 6-4 7/8, 307 (5.03)

Strange started two games at left tackle last season, and a game at center in 2019, but he spent the majority of his time at left guard. He should fit nicely in a scheme that puts him on the move. He needs some additional play strength as he grows into the NFL but could play quickly in a zone scheme.

BB_72: Right in line with @Mebert.
I think Jonah Jackson actually played better at RG last year in the very limited snaps he had there.

87. Kerby Joseph, S, Illinois, 6-1, 203 (DNR)

Joseph was the first Illini safety since 1989 to earn first-team All-Big Ten honors, and he did it in his one full season as a starter. A late bloomer, he elected to not run a 40 at the combine or his pro day. He has top-level ball skills, is smooth in coverage and has the length (a 79½-inch arm span) of a lineman.

BB_72: @Old Lion boy, right here. I think he's better suited for the FS role. I wouldn't be upset if Holmes went this route, at No. 97, as he was at Joseph's pro day.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
88. Wan'Dale Robinson, WR, Kentucky, 5-8, 178 (4.44)

With the right coaching, Robinson should quickly produce big plays. He runs with vision and works his way through crowds of defenders with elusiveness. He played one season at Kentucky (after two years at Nebraska) and was second in the SEC in receiving yards in 2021 with 1,334.

BB_72: I could live with the selection of Robinson, but only if it were at No. 97.

94. Damone Clark, ILB, LSU, 6-2 ½, 239 (4.57)

Another productive player with a medical concern. Clark had a herniated disc in his back flagged at the combine and has since had surgery that puts his rookie season in question. Others have played after similar procedures, so his draft status will depend on the medical grade each team gives him. Clark's 135 tackles -- 15.5 for loss -- in 2021 make a powerful argument in his favor.

BB_72: I could see Holmes drafting this guy as Lions LB coach, Kelvin Sheppard, has spoken highly of Clark.

95. Calvin Austin III, WR, Memphis, 5-7 ¾, 170 (4.32)

The tape measure says he's undersized, but his on-field courage and production say otherwise. Austin had back-to-back 1,000-yard receiving seasons, averaged 21.1 yards per carry on eight rushing attempts during his career and offers some of the best punt return skills on this draft board.

BB_72: Randle-El raved about this kid's high football IQ, route running ability, competitiveness and toughness at the Senior Bowl.

100. Isaiah Weston, WR, Northern Iowa, 6-3 ½, 214 (4.42)

Through the years, No. 100 isn't always the 100th-best player, but someone who deserves a little more attention. Past No. 100s have included wide receiver Brandon Marshall, linebacker Shaquem Griffin, linebacker Davion Taylor (selected at No. 103 by Philadelphia in 2020) and last year, Malcolm Koonce, who was swept up by the Raiders at No. 79. Weston didn't just turn heads with his combine workout, he spun them around as evaluators were forced to go back and look why he had six games this past season with two or fewer receptions. He missed the 2018 season with a knee injury and had two seasons -- no games in 2020 and three games played in the spring of 2021 -- disrupted by COVID-19.