• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 News & Transactions

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had hoped the Giants would have protected him last offseason but there was a crunch in how many pitchers were worth protecting. This year, not so much.
Yeah. This year, we may actually enter ST with less than 40 on the roster.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few former Giants (and former farmhands) have been on the transaction wire lately:
Keury Mella, p - contract purchased by Cincinnati
Edwin Escobar, p - claimed off waivers by Cleveland
Luis Ysla, p - contract purchased by Boston
Kendry Flores, p - signed minor league deal with Saint Louis
Guillermo Quiroz, c - signed minor league deal with Cleveland

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far we have done jack

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I wasn't real excited when the Giants traded for him but I am glad to see Carlos Beltran sticking around baseball another year. I completely forgot that he and I are the same age (down to the day). He just signed a one year deal with the Astros.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil Bickford Receives 50-Game Suspension For Drug Of Abuse

Holy shit!

Now the trade makes a lot more sense. The Giants probably knew he was a pot-head and had concerns over his drive (completely my take).

Yeah, this is his 2nd or 3rd time busted.

I have no problem with the drug, unless it's going to effect his job performance, which it already has with this suspension.

His stock was probably at an all-time high at the deadline anyway, with most reports coming out saying he's going to be a reliever. I'm still a believer, but the chance to trade his was when the Giants did.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this is his 2nd or 3rd time busted.

I have no problem with the drug, unless it's going to effect his job performance, which it already has with this suspension.

His stock was probably at an all-time high at the deadline anyway, with most reports coming out saying he's going to be a reliever. I'm still a believer, but the chance to trade his was when the Giants did.
I am not certain that his value was at an all-time high. He had to be packaged with an MLB-ready starting catcher to get a 7th inning reliever having an off year.

Reactions: LHG

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Culberson DFA'd by the dogs. He is expected to accept the designation, though, as he recently signed a new contract with the dogs which he would forfeit if he elects free agency instead.

Likely means they are about to sign someone.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not certain that his value was at an all-time high. He had to be packaged with an MLB-ready starting catcher to get a 7th inning reliever having an off year.

Well he's not getting traded for anything better until next offseason at the earliest, and his value was already taking a hit because many believe he's not going to be a starter. Just saying from the Giants', he would have had zero value for this offseason and next trade deadline.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Reynolds is back in the fold. He signed a minor league deal and was invited to ST.

I thought he had a very nice season last year and was surprised to see him get DFA'd, and surprised again to see him not get a gig somewhere else this off season.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Culberson DFA'd by the dogs. He is expected to accept the designation, though, as he recently signed a new contract with the dogs which he would forfeit if he elects free agency instead.

Likely means they are about to sign someone.
Kenley?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rueben Tejada signed a minor league deal with the Spanks...

The exodus continues...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also looks like the dogs are on the verge of inking Turner to a 4/64...

So after most people saying the Dodgers aren't going to bring back all their free agents (if any), they basically bring back all the important ones. Guess they are also back-tracking on their payroll-shedding comments.

Also, am I the only one who thinks it's insane that Turner makes less than Jansen? For that matter, I would have rather spent $2M more to sign Turner (and yes, forgo the pick) then signed a couple of cheaper relievers instead of Melancon... but then again, Turner probably took a discount to stay home.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So after most people saying the Dodgers aren't going to bring back all their free agents (if any), they basically bring back all the important ones. Guess they are also back-tracking on their payroll-shedding comments.

Also, am I the only one who thinks it's insane that Turner makes less than Jansen? For that matter, I would have rather spent $2M more to sign Turner (and yes, forgo the pick) then signed a couple of cheaper relievers instead of Melancon... but then again, Turner probably took a discount to stay home.
Turner also has some pretty massive injury concerns and us coming off a career year. The chances he regresses and/or gets hurt is quite high.

Meanwhile, the Giants problem in '16 was the bully, not offense. Get the anchor in the pen and the rest falls into place.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But we have a stable full of those, cheaper and better than we'd find on the FA market.

I dunno, I'm pretty happy with Melancon.