• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Top 10 Prospects

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 Noah Syndergaard | 65/AA (P)

#2 Travis d’Arnaud | 60/MLB (C)

#3 Dominic Smith | 60/R (1B)

#4 Amed Rosario | 60/R (SS)

#5 Rafael Montero | 55/AAA (P)

#6 Kevin Plawecki | 55/A+ (C)

#7 Jake DeGrom | 55/AAA (P)

#8 Steve Matz | 55/A- (P)

#9 Gavin Cecchini | 50/SS (SS)

#10 Wilmer Flores | 50/MLB (3B)

The Next Five:
11. Dilson Herrera: The Pirates have had a lot of success with scouting and signing international free agents in recent years and that could significantly benefit the Mets if Herrera reaches his ceiling. The teenaged second baseman came over to the organization last season (along with No. 15 ranked Vic Black) in the Marlon Byrd swap. Herrera has a chance to develop into an above-average hitting middle infielder with more pop than you’d expect from his modest frame. He’s still a long-term project, though, and is about three years away from reaching the Majors.
12. Michael Fulmer, RHP: Fulmer missed most of 2013 with knee problems but, when healthy, he’s one of the best arms in the system. The right-hander backs up his above-average heater with two other pitches that project to be average or better: a slider and a changeup. The 20-year-old prospect has a big, strong frame and could eventually develop into an innings-eating No. 3 starter if his knee rebounds.
13. Domingo Tapia, RHP: The right-hander can reach triple digits with his heater and backs it up with an average or better breaking ball. However, Tapia doesn’t repeat his delivery, which significantly hampered both his command and control in 2013. He utilizes his 6’4” height to create a downward plane on his heater, which induces a lot of ground-ball outs. Almost exclusively a starter in the minors, the 22-year-old’s big league role will likely be a high-leverage reliever.
14. Brandon Nimmo, OF: Raw even for high school standards when he was drafted, Nimmo continues to be a long-term project. He’s unusually patient for such an unfinished and inexperienced prospect but the 20-year-old showed his poor pitch recognition by striking out 131 times. At 6’3” 185 lbs, he has a lot of raw left-handed power to tap into but he went deep just twice (with a total of 24 extra base hits) in 395 at-bats in 2013 and is still learning to drive the ball with authority.
15. Vic Black, RHP: Acquired in the same deal that netted the organization Dilson Herrera, Black is an intriguing relief prospect because of his power fastball and ability to overpower hitters when everything is clicking. It remains to be seen, though, if he can command his fastball and throw enough strikes to left-handed hitters to be trusted with ninth-inning duties. He could earn a spot in the Mets’ opening day bullpen with a strong spring showing.

2014 Top 10 Prospects: New York Mets | FanGraphs Baseball

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor Wilmer, all the way down to #10. I've heard good things about this kid Montero.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montero could be a solid #3 starter, but most likely a #4 with Harvey, Wheeler, Noah as the top 3. Makes me think one of Niese/Gee/Montero may be moved in the future. Going to have a log-jam in the rotation, but that's never a bad thing.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I heard somewhere that Montero projects better as a guy out of the pen as opposed to a starter.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the fact that Dom Smith and Gavin Cecchini are both top 10....hopefully they grow with the org....and make their way up in a few years.
I like what I've read in various blogs on Smith particularly.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the fact that Dom Smith and Gavin Cecchini are both top 10....hopefully they grow with the org....and make their way up in a few years.
I like what I've read in various blogs on Smith particularly.

Really hope so, like both of them. Smith was a solid pick last year, scouts said he had the best power in the draft and it was a steal for us.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dominic Smith named No. 2 first base prospect

Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com has named Mets’ first base prospect Dominic Smith the second-best first baseman in the minor leagues.

Smith was the No. 11 overall pick in the 2013 draft, and has played just 51 pro games, but has hit .301 with a .398 OBP, with a .837 OPS so far.

“He looks like the total package at first base, combining solid athleticism and defense with a sweet left-handed swing,” Mayo said of the 18 year old.

Smith could skip Brooklyn and start his first, full season in Low-A Savannah, the team recently said in an online chat about the farm system.

http://metsblog.com/

Oh how I love hearing that!

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and this!

Travis d’Arnaud named MLB’s top C prospect, Plawecki not far behind

MLB.com has Mets C Travis d’Arnaud as the top catching prospect in baseball, saying:

“If it hadn’t been for injuries, d’Arnaud would be off this list. … He is ready for a full-time gig in the big leagues. The 24-year-old has the chance to be an outstanding offensive player with the ability to hit for average and power. He’s not a slouch behind the plate, either, with more than enough catch-and-throw skills to be an everyday player. All d’Arnaud needs is health, because he has the skill set to be one of the best all-around catchers in the National League.”
D’Arnaud played in 31 games for the Mets in 2013, after getting off to a late start with a broken bone in his foot. He hit .202 and struck out nearly 20 percent of his plate appearances.

Mets 22-year-old C Kevin Plawecki was also featured as one of two catchers on the verge of cracking the top 10.

According to the report, Plawecki has a knack for hitting for average and getting on base and, “If he displays a little more power and continues to prove to people that he can stay behind the plate despite his big frame, he could be a big league regular someday.”

In early November, it was reported that the Mets might consider trading d’Arnaud in an effort to acquire a big bat, since some in the organization are really high on Plawecki, team sources said (Martino, Nov. 7). Plawecki was named the organization’s minor-league player of the year, along with 1B Allan Dykstra.

He hit .305 with a .390 OBP, 38 doubles, 8 HR and 80 RBI in 125 games between Single-A Savannah and High-A St. Lucie.

Future is finally looking up for us!

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love it. And the fact that there are multiple top tier guys playing the same positions gives the Mets plenty of flexibilty in the trade department.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome.

Hey Hey Hey.....pitchers & catchers report in less than a month (Feb. 15)...w/ position players showing up a few days after that.

Can't Wait!!!

Lets-Go-Mets-300x196.jpg

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TDA and Plawecki will be the backstop of the future, can't wait!!