• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 1st Round: 2) Nuggets vs 7) Lakers

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My apologies for interrupting the Lakers forum, ;) , but this seems to me to be right on. On the Nuggets board I frequent, I can’t describe the loathing of Malone and desire by a lot of Nuggets fans to can him over the years. The #1 issue was his in game decisions. But the one thing I always believed in was his ability to set a culture.

Now the Lakers with LBJ and AD are a different animal than the Nuggets had 5-6 years ago when they were a developing team, but, changing coaches like your underwear isn’t going to be THE answer - at least IMO.

Which is my point. Part of establishing a culture is having the same coach for more than 2 years.

People say Lebron doesn't respect Ham...if memory serves, when he was in Miami, there was a period of time when he wanted Spo gone. The Heat told him Spo was the coach...period, Lebron fell in line and Spo is now considered a HoF level coach..

Not saying Ham would develop into that or even that he shouldn't be fired. But at some point, this changing the coach every time the fans or players get upset with him needs to stop.

When the Ham complaints started, Pelinka should have made a strong statement to shut it all down like the Heat did.

He didn't and it's probably too late for that now.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is retired, has a much younger wife and a subscription to Hims.

Had those Cantina Tacos.

Tacos were solid...that avocado sauce brought them up a level to pretty darn good.

• Bullseye
Reactions: DJ

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,331.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at Magic.

Love the player but his takes aren't that great. Imagine if they didn't load manage James and AD and one of them suffered a serious injury?

Would have finished outside the play-in..

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at Magic.

Love the player but his takes aren't that great. Imagine if they didn't load manage James and AD and one of them suffered a serious injury?

Would have finished outside the play-in..

they didn't load manage either. That's why he had to walk it back.

Magic Johnson Apologizes to Fans for Wrongly Placing Blame on Lakers' Struggles​

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember right....there were some games that were questionable on AD and James sitting out.

Not sure when...AD played 76 games and Lebron played 71.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,331.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure when...AD played 76 games and Lebron played 71.
A few of those 11 games James missed and same for AD.

I don't remember specifically which games. My memory sucks.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then, you want Ham fired but have no suggestions as to whom it should be that is likely to be available.

Handy would be an option from within the staff. I mentioned Redick and Rondo, but ideally they would be assistants first (although it seems JJ is likely to skip that step). I also liked Cassell when they decided on Ham. If Lue is available? Sure. I doubt they revisit Vogel even if he's let go.

Several of the assistants have ties to Ham, so they might decline if offered (and many of them are very green as well). Jent, Ott, Dubois, etc.

Stotts and Bud will get mentioned. Stotts seems like he's over the coaching thing, and Bud was criticized for a lack of in game adjustments (sound familiar?). Lakers may want to stay away from the whole Bucks coaching tree to start fresh anyway. Atkinson might be mentioned too, but he was already forced out by his star players once before. Becky Hammon could be interesting? Dantoni/Borego/Joerger are pretty uninspiring.

There's likely a bunch of assistants around the league to consider as well, like Chris Quinn.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My apologies for interrupting the Lakers forum, ;) , but this seems to me to be right on. On the Nuggets board I frequent, I can’t describe the loathing of Malone and desire by a lot of Nuggets fans to can him over the years. The #1 issue was his in game decisions. But the one thing I always believed in was his ability to set a culture.

Now the Lakers with LBJ and AD are a different animal than the Nuggets had 5-6 years ago when they were a developing team, but, changing coaches like your underwear isn’t going to be THE answer - at least IMO.

They also can't afford to waste Lebron's waning years with a failing choice. Cut bait and move on, do better this time.

Reactions: DJ

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is my point. Part of establishing a culture is having the same coach for more than 2 years.

People say Lebron doesn't respect Ham...if memory serves, when he was in Miami, there was a period of time when he wanted Spo gone. The Heat told him Spo was the coach...period, Lebron fell in line and Spo is now considered a HoF level coach..

Not saying Ham would develop into that or even that he shouldn't be fired. But at some point, this changing the coach every time the fans or players get upset with him needs to stop.

When the Ham complaints started, Pelinka should have made a strong statement to shut it all down like the Heat did.

He didn't and it's probably too late for that now.

Your stumping for Ham is really odd. His players wanted him gone earlier this year and things haven't gotten better. He just threw one of his players under the bus after the game 5 loss. His usage of and relationship with Schroeder the year prior likely cost the Lakers the ability to retain him instead of pivoting to Vincent. The guy by all accounts has been death by many cuts.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your stumping for Ham is really odd. His players wanted him gone earlier this year and things haven't gotten better. He just threw one of his players under the bus after the game 5 loss. His usage of and relationship with Schroeder the year prior likely cost the Lakers the ability to retain him instead of pivoting to Vincent. The guy by all accounts has been death by many cuts.

I'm not stumping for anyone. Bitching and crying to fire the coach like a lot of Lakers fans do any time they struggle is lazy and stupid. And lol @him throwing a player under the bus by telling the truth. The fact is, D-Lo and Reaves were benched because they were playing like shit. A lot of Lakers fans bitched about his "rotations". Then, when both played much better after he reinserted them, proving he was right...no one wanted to give him credit.

Not sure why you want to continue with replacing the coach every 2 years. That list of retreads and people with no HC experience (or no coaching experience at all) that you posted is just a continuation of what they've done the last 6 times.

Same pattern has happened with every hire since Phils last season...they struggle, Lakers fans start crying to fire the coach, I say, if they're going to fire him they need to hire someone better and stick with. Instead, they bow to fan pressure instead of backing the guy they hired, which makes him a lame duck in the eyes of the players, they stop listening and the coach gets fired a short time later.

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not stumping for anyone. Bitching and crying to fire the coach like a lot of Lakers fans do any time they struggle is lazy and stupid. And lol @him throwing a player under the bus by telling the truth. The fact is, D-Lo and Reaves were benched because they were playing like shit. A lot of Lakers fans bitched about his "rotations". Then, when both played much better after he reinserted them, proving he was right...no one wanted to give him credit.

You're lashing out at "lazy fans" (a bit of a humble brag, insinuating you know better) when the vast majority of the NBA knows this is needed and coming. It's quite possible that only the playoff run last year saved his job at that point, let alone this year's disappointments.

Shooters don't get better on the bench. Reaves started slow due to a full offseason and a new level of pressure with his new contract. Benching them did not fix things. Coaches trying to keep their jobs don't call out players in what was essentially a public exit interview.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember right....there were some games that were questionable on AD and James sitting out.
I thought they were both questionable over half the season. They played though, I think that was to make sure they didn’t get fined like the Sixers.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they were both questionable over half the season. They played though, I think that was to make sure they didn’t get fined like the Sixers.

Pretty much every night. Need to do that to evade the league's penalties.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're lashing out at "lazy fans" (a bit of a humble brag, insinuating you know better) when the vast majority of the NBA knows this is needed and coming. It's quite possible that only the playoff run last year saved his job at that point, let alone this year's disappointments.

Shooters don't get better on the bench. Reaves started slow due to a full offseason and a new level of pressure with his new contract. Benching them did not fix things. Coaches trying to keep their jobs don't call out players in what was essentially a public exit interview.

Lazy fans are a big part of the problem. If they're too lazy or not smart enough to look at what may be the real cause of the teams struggles and want to default to fire the coach, that's on them. The Lakers track record with the last 6 coaches kinda shows I've been right.

And shooters who are playing like ass, cost teams games. Sometimes, players need to be sat down for a while so there's less pressure and they can get on track. The fact that both Reaves and D-Lo played much better when he reinserted them shows that it worked.

As for "trying to keep his job", he was right in everything he said. So you want to spend all season calling for him to be fired, then bitch because he tells the truth on the way out the door. The Lakers are likely going to fire him, but hopefully they will listen to what he said on his way out because it's the truth.

Fans bitching and the organization not backing him is a big part of why he is likely to be fired, so why would he want to keep the job and why would anyone with choices want it?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’m not in the locker room, so I don’t know whether this is happening or not.

But…

Some coaches put extra pressure on shooters by pulling them when they aren’t hitting. It is 1 thing when it is a bench guy playing 10 minutes a night. But when it is a starter and you make it know he has a short leash when his first few shots don’t fall, it absolutely can have a negative affect on player confidence.

Bad coaches will flat out tell the guy, make your shot or you are sitting. You aren’t helping us when you are missing shots. I have watched good players turn into liabilities in those conditions.

And while we all know that is true, The best coaches I know tell their shooters to shoot with confidence. They understand that even the best go through slumps and that you have to ride the bad to get to the good. They use positive reinforcement and encourage which can actually help them get through to the other side.

As a shooter myself, you feel like garbage when you aren’t hitting. It is your 1 job. And nobody is more aware than the player himself. You don’t need an external voice basically telling you that suck. You need the positive reinforcement to get you through the slump and to the other side.