• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1st 7 picks

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should 49ers target K Hopkins?
February, 20, 2013 3:25PM ET
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN.com

While taking a look back at the best and worst picks by the San Francisco 49ers over the past five years, ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando pegged Colin Kaepernick as their best pick, while also tipping his cap to Aldon Smith and NaVorro Bowman. He then mentioned Chilo Rachal, Taylor Mays and Glen Coffee as poor picks by the Niners before settling on 2008 first-rounder Kentwan Balmer as their worst choice over the past five drafts. For Sando, the jury is still out on 2011 third-rounder Chris Culliver, though.

"Culliver was a success story until his anti-gay comments stirred controversy during Super Bowl week," wrote Sando. "Culliver had a rough Super Bowl. He's a young player with some growing up to do. How will he respond to the unexpected negative turn his career has taken over the past month? I left out 2012 draft choices from this part of the discussion. All verdicts are pending in those cases."

ESPN NFL Insider Bill Polian believes that kicker is the most pressing need for the Niners, who could address that position via the draft, where ESPN NFL Draft Insider Mel Kiper Jr. has Florida State's Dustin Hopkins as the top option:

Bill Polian
Top offseason needs for every team
"It may not be particularly flashy, but upgrading the kicker is probably a high priority for San Francisco."

Mel Kiper Jr.
Top NFL draft prospects by position
"Wire to wire for Hopkins at the top of these rankings. He's accurate and can be a weapon on kickoffs."

I think I like that site, they see it my way.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see more of Sydney Rice in Justin Hunter, except Hunter has a little more potential IMO. He's one of my favourite guys who's considered by most (so far) a high 2nd rounder. That may change after the combine though.

I still prefer Eifert to Ertz.

Ertz is a monster. He's one o those ex-basketball players that started playing te, you know the type.

I wouldn't be upset if we got him late in the 1st. To me it wouldn't be too different than drafting a big wr, only he'll be a much better blocker, plus his red zone capabilities would be better than anyone that we've had in a long time. As a matter of fact, I can't even remember our last legit red zone target (Brent Jones doesn't count).

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/delanie-walker-49ers-draft-stanford-tight-ends-ertz-toilolo/

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Ertz is a monster. He's one o those ex-basketball players that started playing te, you know the type.

I wouldn't be upset if we got him late in the 1st. To me it wouldn't be too different than drafting a big wr, only he'll be a much better blocker, plus his red zone capabilities would be better than anyone that we've had in a long time. As a matter of fact, I can't even remember our last legit red zone target (Brent Jones doesn't count).

Bay Area Sports Guy ? Should Walker leave, Stanford can offer the 49ers solutions at TE

TO was a red zone threat...

Ertz looks like a good TE too. I don't know that I'd call him a "monster" thoiugh. I like him more than I did Fleener last year, and I like him a little more than my favourite TE from last year Dwaaaaaaaaayne! Harris. The combine will be big for them; so far Eifert won round 1. He has longer arms by 1 & 3/8 inches. Although Etrz has slightly bigger hands by 5/8 of an inch. Let's see what they do for their verticals...

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TO was a red zone threat...

Ertz looks like a good TE too. I don't know that I'd call him a "monster" thoiugh. I like him more than I did Fleener last year, and I like him a little more than my favourite TE from last year Dwaaaaaaaaayne! Harris. The combine will be big for them; so far Eifert won round 1. He has longer arms by 1 & 3/8 inches. Although Etrz has slightly bigger hands by 5/8 of an inch. Let's see what they do for their verticals...

I forgot about TO.

The combine won't tell the difference between the two, they'll be close in everything.

The difference for me is how ferocious Ertz plays, whether blocking or going up to take a pass away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqJRd3mN01w

I just see Ertz as a better fit to what we do as a power running team, Eifert TO ME, looks more of a receiving te. He's just not nasty enough for me.

Last edited by a moderator: