• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1987 Replacement Player Games

IronJaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking about the 1987 replacement games. The Broncos had a decent roster for the games, winning 2 and losing 1. They didn't seem to be ready for the first game against Houston and lost 40-10. A week later, Joe Dudek ran all over the Raiders during a 30-14 win. They won the final replacement game against Kansas City, 26-17. Ken Karcher was the starting QB during the three games and did a decent job. I remember Steve Watson crossing the picket line for game 2, but he injured his ribs during the game against the Raiders. Actually, I enjoyed the games.

These are some of the players from those three games:

QBs – Ken Karcher, Dean May, Monte McGuire

RBs – Scott Caldwell, Joe Dudek, Laron Brown, Nathan Poole (quit during pre-season, came back for replacement games)

WRs – Sam Graddy, Shane Swanson, Bob Thompson, Bobby Micho, Rick Masse – Steve Watson crossed the picket line by game 2

TEs – Mitch Andrews, Russell Payne

OL – Kevin Belcher, Jack Peavey

DL – Bill Lobenstein, Jeff Tupper

LBs- Bryant Winn

DBs- Steve Fitzhugh

K- Mike Clendenen

P – Ralph Giacomarro

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting days - Thanks Jaws

IronJaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting days - Thanks Jaws

I still remember what a disaster it was when the NFL went on strike in 1982. Craig Morton was 40, beginning his last season, and he got banged up early. DeBerg was an excellent replacement, but he got hurt during one of the 9 games that were actually played, and Marc Hermann took over. THe Broncos went 2-7 after a promising finish the previous season. The post season was whacky as they are in any sport where a strike or lockdown takes place. Baseball went through one the year before (1981) where 53-56 games were lost. They did the split-season theme like some lower minor leagues do. One of the playoff teams had a sub-.500 record and was in the playoffs because the team (Royals) had a good second half. The team with the best overall record, the Reds, finished second both times, and didn't make the playoffs.
It will be interesting to see how MLB does it this season with the 60 game schedule.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still remember what a disaster it was when the NFL went on strike in 1982. Craig Morton was 40, beginning his last season, and he got banged up early. DeBerg was an excellent replacement, but he got hurt during one of the 9 games that were actually played, and Marc Hermann took over. THe Broncos went 2-7 after a promising finish the previous season. The post season was whacky as they are in any sport where a strike or lockdown takes place. Baseball went through one the year before (1981) where 53-56 games were lost. They did the split-season theme like some lower minor leagues do. One of the playoff teams had a sub-.500 record and was in the playoffs because the team (Royals) had a good second half. The team with the best overall record, the Reds, finished second both times, and didn't make the playoffs.
It will be interesting to see how MLB does it this season with the 60 game schedule.

I'm eager for Covid baseball - for the sensational oddity of it all - over decades of being a baseball fan.

IronJaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm eager for Covid baseball - for the sensational oddity of it all - over decades of being a baseball fan.

We date back to the days of the old class AAA Denver Bears!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We date back to the days of the old class AAA Denver Bears!

Indeed we do. I saw George Alusik hit a homer over the scoreboard - and I couldn't have been more impressed. It was hard not be a Tiger's fan. I got to Bear's stadium a little after the Yankees were the parent team.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed we do. I saw George Alusik hit a homer over the scoreboard - and I couldn't have been more impressed. It was hard not be a Tiger's fan. I got to Bear's stadium a little after the Yankees were the parent team.
Alusik. Sounds as familiar as Mingo...

IronJaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
George Alusik was on the Bears team that BoBo Osborne and Steve Boros all hammering home runs at a regular pace. Jake Wood was their speedster.