• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1968 & 1983 Stealing MLB Draft : CHAT

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took off today and I get off Monday as a holiday :yes:

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I just told Milk and I don't care if i'm right or wrong but I would rather have a .300 hitter who carries a .340 OBP than have a .270 hitter who carries a .370 OBP.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took off today and I get off Monday as a holiday :yes:
I got a call last night at 11something(didn't answer, in a movie) from the SuperIntendant that nobody needed to work today.

Cool.

Except I already had paid for my hotel and had multiple deliveries coming this morning.

Not a chance in hell I'll be there Monday.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I just told Milk and I don't care if i'm right or wrong but I would rather have a .300 hitter who carries a .340 OBP than have a .270 hitter who carries a .370 OBP.
What kind of hits are you getting?

If it's singles, you're intentionally hurting your team by taking an inferior player.

There is no advantage to getting on first LESS often.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I told him to STFU, he didn't listen... what an over exaggerator...

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If it's singles, you're intentionally hurting your team by taking an inferior player.

5 run homers you sumbich!

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In all seriousness no you aren't. Man on first 1 out. do you want your batter to A. walk to put men on 1st and 2nd or B. have him line a single into right putting men on 1st and 3rd.

And of course not every hit is gonna be a single. There is no chance a run scores on a walk with a runner at 2nd, there is a pretty good chance that run scores on a hit.

A walk is never better than a hit.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness no you aren't. Man on first 1 out. do you want your batter to A. walk to put men on 1st and 2nd or B. have him line a single into right putting men on 1st and 3rd.

And of course not every hit is gonna be a single. There is no chance a run scores on a walk with a runner at 2nd, there is a pretty good chance that run scores on a hit.

A walk is often exactly the same as a single. More often than not.

Leadoff hitters are locked in to 20%(or so, 5 playe appreances would be a record of someone played every game. I'm just generalizing) of their plate appearances being without anyone on. It only goes up from 20.

If a guy has both a better OBP and a better SLG, odds are he's a superior player unless he's awful in the field.

I think we'd all prefer players who are great with men in scoring position or just with a guy on period. But a difference in OBP doesn't tell us any of that.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

no a walk is never better than a hit... nobody says it is... but assuming SLG%(we have to make this stipulation so we are not arguing HR vs walk) is similar or equal, I would always take the player with the higher OBP... Getting on base more just allows you to potentially score more often...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lead-off is only guaranteed to lead off once per game, but that's not all. He also gets more AB's than any player on the team, and he is always the one trying to set the table for the 3hole, which is the best hitter at the MLB level. Interestingly, at the HS level, most coaches have started hitting their best hitters lead off and their second best hitters two hole, under the theory that if your best hitters always get the most AB's, over the course of a season, you will end up with more runs scored

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no a walk is never better than a hit... nobody says it is... but assuming SLG%(we have to make this stipulation so we are not arguing HR vs walk) is similar or equal, I would always take the player with the higher OBP... Getting on base more just allows you to potentially score more often...

lolzzz now you bring up SLG%

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lolzzz now you bring up SLG%

Don't you have to?? I mean we all know that a 300 hitter is not necessarily better than a 270 if he 270 hits a higher percentage of Xbh. The point is to compare similar players not Barry bonds vs tony Gwynn.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you have to?? I mean we all know that a 300 hitter is not necessarily better than a 270 if he 270 hits a higher percentage of Xbh. The point is to compare similar players not Barry bonds vs tony Gwynn.

Yes you are absolutely right, I should not continue talking bullshit to you...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well according to Smitty all I do is talk shit so being that you are my friend and I care about everyone in our drafts I should stop doing that.

Who said we are friends??

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, the difficulty of using numbers in a vacuum is you can't take into account the concept of offense within a specific scheme. How was a hitter pitched to because of the protection he did or did not have in the batting order? Was he asked to do more than was called for because of a lack of talent around him? Was he asked to sacrifice numbers because of the team was built around playing for one run or three? To me, it's similar to looking back 30 years from now and commenting about how much better NFL QB's are today than 20-30 years ago because of the number of yards being thrown for. On paper, Matthew Stafford might appear to be a much better QB than Roger Staubach because his numbers blow Staubach's away, but the games they were playing were totally different, and Staubach was the far better player

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because we text each other
To me, the difficulty of using numbers in a vacuum is you can't take into account the concept of offense within a specific scheme. How was a hitter pitched to because of the protection he did or did not have in the batting order? Was he asked to do more than was called for because of a lack of talent around him? Was he asked to sacrifice numbers because of the team was built around playing for one run or three? To me, it's similar to looking back 30 years from now and commenting about how much better NFL QB's are today than 20-30 years ago because of the number of yards being thrown for. On paper, Matthew Stafford might appear to be a much better QB than Roger Staubach because his numbers blow Staubach's away, but the games they were playing were totally different, and Staubach was the far better player

This is my problem. I am a numbers guy. I will always be a numbers guy and I truly think with the right stats and with enough data you can accurately deduce ANYTHING. Sports related or not. The problem though is that when you debate with people who are not stats people they generally will bring one or 2 stats up to prove their point. And when i disagree the debate goes nowhere because all they want to do is bring up those stats.

So I agree that context is important. But I will use other stats to show the context.

I will admit though. Football is the most difficult for me and my numbers because the available numbers suck.