• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

100 DAYS

bonham

We are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Til Penn State football

Do you Billieve?

:D :D

bonham

We are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly seems like it!

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm excited

Mainly because I have no idea what to expect

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AS much as I was down on the hire when it happened, I don't think they could've gotten a better guy for the job. This staff is tireless in their recruiting, a lot of energy, kids seem to really like them. Fixing a bunch of burned bridges from the last staff, expanding into the south, pushing strong back into Ohio.

Will be nice to see us step on people's throats instead of playing not to lose. I Billieve the sleeping giant has been awakened and has a big chip on his shoulder. This program will be back where it belongs in 3 years.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AS much as I was down on the hire when it happened, I don't think they could've gotten a better guy for the job. This staff is tireless in their recruiting, a lot of energy, kids seem to really like them. Fixing a bunch of burned bridges from the last staff, expanding into the south, pushing strong back into Ohio.

Will be nice to see us step on people's throats instead of playing not to lose. I Billieve the sleeping giant has been awakened and has a big chip on his shoulder. This program will be back where it belongs in 3 years.

Welcome in, fellow lion. We had a bunch of early signings, and it has been, frankly, a while. But with camp coming up, and the 'leans' we have, I think this class is going to end up being a good one. My concerns are the young OL, and the thin corps in the defensive backfield. I think our rotation at LB and DL is going to be adequate to good.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome in, fellow lion. We had a bunch of early signings, and it has been, frankly, a while. But with camp coming up, and the 'leans' we have, I think this class is going to end up being a good one. My concerns are the young OL, and the thin corps in the defensive backfield. I think our rotation at LB and DL is going to be adequate to good.

They may be young, but they are getting better coaching and much better conditioning this offseason. I think Donovan Smith will be a monster at one of the tackle spots, Farrell/Gress battle out ofr the other. Both have really imporoved on their strength and conditioning. Stank is a Remington nominee at center and guys like Urschel, Mangiro, Diffenbach, etc can fill out the guard position nicely. I actually like our OL prospects. We've always had talented kids that didn't develop because of poor OL coaching (Mac is a huge step up from Anderson/Kenney) and poor conditioning.

I think thsi staff will play to our strengths instead of continually trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. These guys know they need to win fast.

Recruiting, the pledges are great and all great recruiters. Hack and Breneman are working everyone as is Douglass. Dorian Johnson wants PSU, but has several outside factors pulling him to Pitt. He's coming back for another visit, hopefully the family comes and are convinced. He'd be a huge pickup.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may be young, but they are getting better coaching and much better conditioning this offseason. I think Donovan Smith will be a monster at one of the tackle spots, Farrell/Gress battle out ofr the other. Both have really imporoved on their strength and conditioning. Stank is a Remington nominee at center and guys like Urschel, Mangiro, Diffenbach, etc can fill out the guard position nicely. I actually like our OL prospects. We've always had talented kids that didn't develop because of poor OL coaching (Mac is a huge step up from Anderson/Kenney) and poor conditioning.

I think thsi staff will play to our strengths instead of continually trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. These guys know they need to win fast.

Recruiting, the pledges are great and all great recruiters. Hack and Breneman are working everyone as is Douglass. Dorian Johnson wants PSU, but has several outside factors pulling him to Pitt. He's coming back for another visit, hopefully the family comes and are convinced. He'd be a huge pickup.

Bold is huge. Great interview with Fitz here - he's the de facto head coach during the summer. He sets goals, he's intense, and hands-on. Fuck Pitt. I liked the ball-hawking by our DBs in the Spring Game. I was hoping Drake would work out there, for depth. Still haven't heard anything definitive there, but I think he's done.

We are kind of bucking the trend a bit by going with a more pro-set (vs. spread), but I think BOB is creative in it - if our TE's can mix blocking schemes with peel-offs to get open, and keep the D honest, it will have a nice effect - witness the Patriots. PJones - I liked his feet, and at 245 can deliver a load when running. Has to improve his accuracy, though.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bold is huge. Great interview with Fitz here - he's the de facto head coach during the summer. He sets goals, he's intense, and hands-on. Fuck Pitt. I liked the ball-hawking by our DBs in the Spring Game. I was hoping Drake would work out there, for depth. Still haven't heard anything definitive there, but I think he's done.

We are kind of bucking the trend a bit by going with a more pro-set (vs. spread), but I think BOB is creative in it - if our TE's can mix blocking schemes with peel-offs to get open, and keep the D honest, it will have a nice effect - witness the Patriots. PJones - I liked his feet, and at 245 can deliver a load when running. Has to improve his accuracy, though.

PJ will improve accuracy with more reps. I'd take my chances with him over McPicksix any day. McPick really limits what you can do with his poor arm strength, but thinking he can throw as hard as brett favre.

Drake is done. I'll be surprised if he's ever back. He was given a second chance and his grades were bad, he's toast. One of the freshman DB's will get some playing time. Hopefully Derrick Thomas can keep his head on straigh. I'd be fione with him and Morris at CB, Amos and whoever at safety.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm excited too, but more for Ohio State Football.

We'll see, suckeye. Going to be interesting to see what Meyer brings to the table - he ran a wild mixture of spread, triple option, and power-I at UF, creating mismatches wherever he could. Miller is the right kind of QB for his 'system'.

PJ will improve accuracy with more reps. I'd take my chances with him over McPicksix any day. McPick really limits what you can do with his poor arm strength, but thinking he can throw as hard as brett favre.

Drake is done. I'll be surprised if he's ever back. He was given a second chance and his grades were bad, he's toast. One of the freshman DB's will get some playing time. Hopefully Derrick Thomas can keep his head on straigh. I'd be fione with him and Morris at CB, Amos and whoever at safety.

I'm in the same boat on the bold. Hopefully we can get a good rotation in the DBs. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have froshes back there if they can just focus for 15-20 snaps.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Yo, linebackeru, which OOC game worries you the most - Ohio, Navy, Temple or UVA?
I'm going with UVA. Though all of them are surprisingly tough. Navy runs triple option the whole game - you have to game-plan for them separately.

AlistairChiss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not linebackeru, but all of them scare me a bit this year. If I had to pick the one that scares me the most I would have to say Temple this year. They have nearly beaten us in each of the past few seasons and I fear that this could be the year that they snap our 30 win streak against them.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Yo, linebackeru, which OOC game worries you the most - Ohio, Navy, Temple or UVA?
I'm going with UVA. Though all of them are surprisingly tough. Navy runs triple option the whole game - you have to game-plan for them separately.

Uva only because it will be first road test. They should beat up the other teams based on talent alone, now you can add the fact we will actually play the best players we have and gameplan according to opponent instead of banging our head against the wall with no adjustments. I don't forsee any real problems. Redd will tear up Ohio, Navy and Temple, good games to ease whoever QB is into new system. Will be nice to see audibles, attacking the entire field, etc. 4-0 in OOC, anything else would be very surprising

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not linebackeru, but all of them scare me a bit this year. If I had to pick the one that scares me the most I would have to say Temple this year. They have nearly beaten us in each of the past few seasons and I fear that this could be the year that they snap our 30 win streak against them.

Temple has nearly beaten us because we had piss poor game planning and failed to adjust no matter how poorly it was going or how well they had diagnosed everything we did. Temple will get blown out this year, mark it down.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From an article on Stephon Morris:

But there will be a depth issue until some players emerge, perhaps some true freshmen who are eligible to practice in the fall. Three secondary names to remember are corners Jake Kiley and DaQuan Davis and safety Jordan Lucas. The players are part of the Lions' 2012 recruiting class.

Said Roof of his defensive backfield: "It's a situation where were going to have to have some freshmen come in and be in the depth. That's just the reality of the situation.''

It also says the scheme under Roof is less soft zone, and more press and man. Like I said earlier, the ball-hawking was evident in the spring game, though on the INTs, they were getting help from the usual suspects.

fonze232

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody know more about Kevin Newsome and Temple? I remember he transfered to play the QB position and he should be eligible this year?
I have to believe if he is the best option they have at QB, LBU will be able to eat up the running game. Running QBs have been an issue lately, but with the speed the PSU has at OLB, a solid gameplan should give the defense a lot of positive plays. Perfect time to find out if the new DBs can lower their head and bring someone down.

A triple option will always be an issue, especially if it isn't the 1st or last game of the season, or before a bye week. If you look at Navy and Ga Tech, they do MUCH better playing teams with only a week to prepare. The x3 option also really attacks the DEs and forces them to make smart plays and PSU lacks some experience there. I think this will be a good test of Roof's ability to implement a gameplan during a regular week.

The early barameter on VA is that they will be loaded with top end recruits for the 2014 class. That gives the UVA game some added importance. They are really building that program up nicely although I think PSU has more upperclassman talent by quite a bit. With the last couple classes, that might shift a bit in a couple years, so it would be nice if Penn State could hand them an ass whooping this year.

Ohio I don't know anything about except that if they aren't a layup, PSU is in trouble this year.

fonze232

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also says the scheme under Roof is less soft zone, and more press and man. Like I said earlier, the ball-hawking was evident in the spring game, though on the INTs, they were getting help from the usual suspects.[/QUOTE]

Playing man is great if you have a couple elite coverage guys and LBs that neutralize the RBs, slot, or TEs. But I wouldn't be suprised if that transition takes a couple years due to the talent in the secondary and the fact that all PSU's LBs have grown up playing zone. Putting PSU's back 7 in man coverage right now would be the definition of a square peg in a round hole. I hope it is an element of the defense, and there are pieces in place, but I hope Roof plays to his strengths.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody know more about Kevin Newsome and Temple? I remember he transfered to play the QB position and he should be eligible this year?
I have to believe if he is the best option they have at QB, LBU will be able to eat up the running game. Running QBs have been an issue lately, but with the speed the PSU has at OLB, a solid gameplan should give the defense a lot of positive plays. Perfect time to find out if the new DBs can lower their head and bring someone down.

A triple option will always be an issue, especially if it isn't the 1st or last game of the season, or before a bye week. If you look at Navy and Ga Tech, they do MUCH better playing teams with only a week to prepare. The x3 option also really attacks the DEs and forces them to make smart plays and PSU lacks some experience there. I think this will be a good test of Roof's ability to implement a gameplan during a regular week.

The early barameter on VA is that they will be loaded with top end recruits for the 2014 class. That gives the UVA game some added importance. They are really building that program up nicely although I think PSU has more upperclassman talent by quite a bit. With the last couple classes, that might shift a bit in a couple years, so it would be nice if Penn State could hand them an ass whooping this year.

Ohio I don't know anything about except that if they aren't a layup, PSU is in trouble this year.

Where to start, first off, I doubt Temple is going to make a sudden and successful switch from a wide open spread to a triple option just because they have a mobile QB on roster. They have recruited for a spread offense and their QB wasn't too bad last year.

As for being in trouble this year, PSU should be able to walk out and win at least 7 based on being a physically superior team alone. With some real coaching, this team should easily win 8-9 and be primed for a big 2013.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Drake is done. I'll be surprised if he's ever back. He was given a second chance and his grades were bad, he's toast. One of the freshman DB's will get some playing time. Hopefully Derrick Thomas can keep his head on straight. I'd be fione with him and Morris at CB, Amos and whoever at safety.

Apparently not.