• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #1 - Vancouver at San Jose - 7:00PM

koblix

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damm....Sharks play PO PP

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm liking the speed and skill the new guys bring. The old forwards are the smartest ones so that evens out.

Woah 4-1!!

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice to see Wingels get rewarded. He's been good tonight.

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must be missing something. Are you saying Braun looks like Andy Sandberg?

Cmon, that's exactly what I'm sayin brother. I think he totally looks like Andy Sandberg. hahaha

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice to see Hertl get his first point in his first game, nice to see Wingels and Patty get off on the right foot as well

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:clap: Burns a.k.a Beast
:clap: Braun a.k.a Andy Sandberg
:clap: Marleau a.k.a Mr. Awkward
:clap: Wingles a.k.a ?????? Any suggestions? ???

Sharks Win!!!!

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tommy Wingels aka Freddy (the drummer kid) from the movie School of Rock

Tyler Kennedy aka ManBearPig

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tommy Wingels aka Freddy (the drummer kid) from the movie School of Rock

Tyler Kennedy aka ManBearPig

I've seen that one for Kennedy on a couple other forums. I don't know why but when Wingels has his hair a bit longer he always reminds me of Pigpen from the "Penuts" cartoon.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Couture plays the rest of the season like he did tonight he's going to have a monster year.

The rookies looked really good as well. I still think Nieto needs another season with Worcester but you can see the skills are there to be a top 6 or 9 forward. Stalock showed off some MVP caliber door opening skills.

Hannan and Demers were both +3 on the night. WTF? How did that happen?

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Couture plays the rest of the season like he did tonight he's going to have a monster year.

The rookies looked really good as well. I still think Nieto needs another season with Worcester but you can see the skills are there to be a top 6 or 9 forward. Stalock showed off some MVP caliber door opening skills.

Hannan and Demers were both +3 on the night. WTF? How did that happen?

Was surprised when I saw that number in the boxscore, I thought Demers had a few Demers like plays tonight. I've seen a lot of Hannan hate on a few sharks forums after he was brought back this year. I was pretty indifferent to the trade last year, but I thought he was solid in the playoffs and he looks like he is continuing from where he left off last year. Coming back home seems to have rejuvenated him. What happens when Stuart is ready? Demers sits? Irwin sits? I know Stuart/Hannan pairing leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to starting the offensive transition and breaking out of the zone, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is what we see. I just have a feeling they won't sit Irwin.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see the PP in midseason craptacular form already!

Also, I thought Nieto was pretty bad and nowhere near NHL ready but too soon to tell.

Demers was pretty bad in his own end, right? Some pretty poor coverage/awareness, which is the norm for him these days, I guess... could even hear coaches(?) yell at him in the 3rd during a play down low... "JD! Behind you! JD! To the side! JD! Now!" or something like that (must have been picked up by the Hedican mic)

But anyway... a win is a win.

PS. And yes, Kesler is still a piece of shit. Bieksa too, to a lesser extent.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good to see the PP in midseason craptacular form already!

Also, I thought Nieto was pretty bad and nowhere near NHL ready but too soon to tell.

Demers was pretty bad in his own end, right? Some pretty poor coverage/awareness, which is the norm for him these days, I guess... could even hear coaches(?) yell at him in the 3rd during a play down low... "JD! Behind you! JD! To the side! JD! Now!" or something like that (must have been picked up by the Hedican mic)

But anyway... a win is a win.

PS. And yes, Kesler is still a piece of shit. Bieksa too, to a lesser extent.

Even though it didn't convert I thought the PP looked pretty good. They were efficient on their zone entries and maintained control in the zone for extended time. It wasn't the one shot and out of the zone like we see when they are struggling.

I thought Nieto was behind the play for most of the night. Pretty much until the 3rd period. Like I've said before I think he needs another year in the AHL before he's ready for the NHL full time but you can see the skills are there. I assume he's be sent back to Worcester when Havlat is healthy. If any forwards get injured after that we'll probably see a Worcester Shuttle of Kearns, Pelech, Nieto, Tarasov, Schwartz, Hamilton, and maybe Hayes.

After about the first 10 minutes of the first period Demers played pretty well in his own end. He also moved the puck really well so I don't have any complaints about his game last night.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every players was f*cking awesome lastnight. :laugh3:

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Even though it didn't convert I thought the PP looked pretty good. They were efficient on their zone entries and maintained control in the zone for extended time. It wasn't the one shot and out of the zone like we see when they are struggling.

I thought Nieto was behind the play for most of the night. Pretty much until the 3rd period. Like I've said before I think he needs another year in the AHL before he's ready for the NHL full time but you can see the skills are there. I assume he's be sent back to Worcester when Havlat is healthy. If any forwards get injured after that we'll probably see a Worcester Shuttle of Kearns, Pelech, Nieto, Tarasov, Schwartz, Hamilton, and maybe Hayes.

After about the first 10 minutes of the first period Demers played pretty well in his own end. He also moved the puck really well so I don't have any complaints about his game last night.

I agree about the PP. It's the least of my concern about this team. The scoring depth, 5 on 5 offense, and PK are the areas I am watching. While I missed the 1st 10 minutes (can't believe I thought the game started at 7:30... d'oh!) what I saw was pretty awesome on all fronts. The 5 on 5 plays was clearly tilted (and they scored 4 goals), and depth wasnt spectacular, but with havlat and torres out, it was nice to see wingels score. And, the D did an excellent job offensively, I though not just for the braun goal, but getting pucks through, keeping them in, and just generally helping offensively. Hell even Hannan was in the O'zone corner digging in!

Obviously, they gave up one PK goal, but the PK work I saw was quite solid. I have little doubt about the sharks ability to score on the PP. Yes, they were tentative especially on the 5 on 3, but they have been a top PP team perenially, so it should be just fine there. Right now, they need their depth forwards to step up and win games with two of the top 9 out. They did in game one, so hopefully it continues...

In other news, VERY impressed by Hertl. He made a nice play on the goal, laid out a few guys and look solid. Yeah, he fumbled a few pucks and made a couple littler errors, but he has the skills to be a top 9 or even top 6 forward. The speed is nice, the physicality, the hands... it looks legit and at 19, it's just starting. At this moment, I'm forgetting about dougie passing on teravainen.