• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Zherdev article

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers forward Nikolai Zherdev remains an enigma

New Flyers forward Nikolai Zherdev was an enigma during previous NHL stops with the Columbus Blue Jackets and New York Rangers.

Zherdev was drafted fourth overall by the Blue Jackets in 2003. Last season, he played in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League after the Rangers let him go following a $4 million salary award in arbitration.

Apparently, the native of Ukraine, who most recently played for the Atlant-Moscow Mystishchi, is still a mystery. At least, he was Thursday at Flyer Skate Zone, one day before the team officially opened training camp.

Even though Zherdev understands English, he insisted on using Slava Kouznetsov, the Adirondak Phantoms' skating coach, as a translator. And what the 6-foot-2, 203-pounder said, via translation, was less than enlightening.

Asked about his personal goals for the season, Zherdev responded: "How it's going to go, it's going to go."

Assuming the message was lost in translation, the question was asked again, but differently. The answer, though, was similar to the previous answer.

"I will work and do [what's required]," he said with a smile. "How it turns out, it turns out."

The Flyers hope things turn out with him fitting on a squad that hopes to reach a second consecutive Stanley Cup Finals. That's why, despite his inconsistency and perceived disdain for playing defense, they signed him to a one-year $2 million contract in July.

The short-term commitment does protect the team from risk, as general manager Paul Holmgren has shown a willingness to take chances on players with questionable reputations.

Zherdev's best campaign was in 2007-08 when he finished with 26 goals and 61 points for Columbus. Over parts of five NHL seasons with the Blue Jackets and Rangers, he compiled 239 career points (99 goals, 140 assists) in 365 regular-season games. He is scoreless in seven playoff games.

With Atlant-Moscow last season, he finished with 13 goals and 26 assists in 52 games.

"I always looked forward to playing in the NHL," Zherdev said. "But the last year [playing with the Rangers] didn't happen, so I played in the KHL. Now I'm back here and really want to play here."

[ source: Philly.com ]

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read another article that his wife has been a major positive influence on him.