• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your thoughts on yesterdays trades

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In one trade we traded Sammy Watkins to the Rams for E.J Gaines, a 2nd round pick and a 6th round pick

Then in another we traded Ronald Darby to the Eagles for Jordan Matthews and a 3rd round pick

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's some things I like about this deal, it's tough that we gave up our most talented player and only got a mediocre at best corner and a 2nd round pick in return but Watkins has been injury prone like he gets hurt every single year and his contract was up after this year, our cap space isn't the best and he has made it no secret he wants a big contract would we have been able to keep him? Probably not so at least we got a nice pick in return

Not having Watkins for this season hurts in that we will never find out what Tyrod can do, I can assume at this point that we're drafting a QB next year. That's the only reason though, we were never going to make the playoffs so why have Watkins here when we can get something back?

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm less of a fan of the other trade, Darby seemed very much salvageable after the bad year last year under Rob Ryan. I honestly don't think we should have traded him we had a good strong corner duo and Darby's contract wasn't up until 2019.

Matthews is very good in the slot but he's not a number 1 receiver by any means, maybe this means that we like how Zay Jones is progressing and we only got a 3rd round pick this time

The good thing is we enter what is projected to be a strong 2018 draft with 2 first, second and third round picks, that is quite the haul. I do like that our front office has a clear plan, we're going to build through the draft

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've covered it all.

On the face, I don't like it. But it probably makes sense as we weren't bringing Sammy back anyway. Better to get something than nothing. IF he were to play 16, it probably would make a big difference, but would he have? Already limping in practice? Matthews, Boldin, Jones, Streater and Holmes is a good enough group for a run first team, imo.

I actually like the Darby deal. He was good (more up and down than consistent), but getting an established WR and a 3rd is a pretty good get. I mean, how much better is Darby than Gaines? I don't think it's something we'll notice on the field.

6 picks in the first three rounds next year should help.

As for THIS season and Taylor. I'm not hiding my love on him. He is a very good QB, and if we move on from him for some damn rookie POS, I won't be able to overcome that very quickly and will likely not watch for a year.

Taylor had the worst RT in the league, and his top four WR hurt for much of last season (and two of those four aren't even starters on other teams)... Brandon Tate, a journeyman KR was our WR1 for a few games..... still managed a top 12 offense.

I will flip my lid if we move on from Taylor. I really liked Sammy, but most of that was hope and flashes. I love Taylor. His strong arm, his great deep ball, his fearless legs, and his leadership. The ONLY thing he needs to get better at, is his intermediate anticipation throws, which I'm sure is tough when your targets are Walt Powell and Brandon Tate.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mentioning that Cordy Glenn is definitely the most valuable player on this team

Henderson is perhaps the worst backup tackle in the NFL, our offense is screwed if we are forced to start him at any point

Tyrod might have enough to succeed, I also think he's the best QB we've had since Jim Kelly (though there's not much competition) I hope he shows that he can be the franchise QB. If he is just imagine what we can do with these 6 picks in the first 3 rounds?

We could grab a #1 receiver, get a young defensive tackle because Kyle Williams is getting up there in age, a corner because I don't think Gaines is the answer, and fill one of the safety slots

outside linebacker is another need since we are focused on keeping Ragland inside.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trades are acceptable IMO. Watkins and Darby are better than Gaines and Matthews in a vaccuum, but when you figure in that Matthews has actually outproduced Watkins to date and both are going to be free agents, it's good to get the picks and Matthews to fill in for at least the season, even if he doesn't re-sign.

Darby is a much better press corner, but that isn't really required in the new Bills defense, where the emphasis is more on pressure with zone behind, requiring DBs that are good in space. Gaines was a starter when healthy in a few different roles at CB under Gregg Williams, which had his CBs line up 5 yards plus off the line.

Rams really added to the stockpile for next year's draft, with 2 picks in each of the first 3 rounds. Unfortunately for Tyrod, the pressure is REALLY on him now. Those extra picks will give the Bills ammo to move up and get their QB if they feel the need in next year's draft. I think Peterman is worth development, but I doubt he keeps the team from going to get their QB if Tyrod disappoints this year.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trades are acceptable IMO. Watkins and Darby are better than Gaines and Matthews in a vaccuum, but when you figure in that Matthews has actually outproduced Watkins to date and both are going to be free agents, it's good to get the picks and Matthews to fill in for at least the season, even if he doesn't re-sign.

Darby is a much better press corner, but that isn't really required in the new Bills defense, where the emphasis is more on pressure with zone behind, requiring DBs that are good in space. Gaines was a starter when healthy in a few different roles at CB under Gregg Williams, which had his CBs line up 5 yards plus off the line.

Rams really added to the stockpile for next year's draft, with 2 picks in each of the first 3 rounds. Unfortunately for Tyrod, the pressure is REALLY on him now. Those extra picks will give the Bills ammo to move up and get their QB if they feel the need in next year's draft. I think Peterman is worth development, but I doubt he keeps the team from going to get their QB if Tyrod disappoints this year.

With which I strongly disagree... I mean, I believe you, and it is the truth, but it shouldn't be, imo.

Last two years... 95 QBR, 37 TD, 12 INT, 6000 yards. 1100 yards rushing, 10 TD. A top 10 offense. And we all saw how bad Jordan Mills is at RT, we all saw the set of receivers he had been dealt.

He has nothing to prove to me.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as opposed to drafting say... the next Winston, i.e.

Last two years... 85 QBR, 50 TD, 33 INT, 8000 yards. 350 yards rushing, 7 TD. Ranked 18 offense.

I don't want to trade 10 TD, for 21 INT... and a lesser QBR.

I want to keep my top 10 offensive QB.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been in Tyrod's corner, but unless the team wins with his style of play, he's on the hot seat. He has to win over the new staff.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt like the trades at all. I have always said that I like the talent on this team and its good enough for a playoff spot we just needed coaches that would bring it out and I thought McDermett was that coach. By trading Sammy you are essentially giving up on this season already. Gaines is not great and also injury prone so whos to say he will be avail. That leaves a massive hole in your secondary. Darby like you I thought was salvageable. You cant knock him for having a bad year because Rex ruined everyone on that defense. Darius Gilmore Darby Williams they all had good seasons and Rex got his mitts on them. The thing that makes me most angry is that then they expect us to believe they arent trying to tank, well if that was the case you wouldnt have traded your best WR and CB for a second and a third. Both Gaines are Matthews are FA at seasons end so you essentially made your contract situation worst with the trades. Now since we arent as bad as the Rams Jets Browns 49ers and a few others(who by the way might also be needed a QB) if none want to trade out we wont have the QB if we do end up trading up we wont have the picks for a top WR or a top CB. lets just hope someone falls or we get a diamond in the ruff with the later picks.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt like the trades at all. I have always said that I like the talent on this team and its good enough for a playoff spot we just needed coaches that would bring it out and I thought McDermett was that coach. By trading Sammy you are essentially giving up on this season already. Gaines is not great and also injury prone so whos to say he will be avail. That leaves a massive hole in your secondary. Darby like you I thought was salvageable. You cant knock him for having a bad year because Rex ruined everyone on that defense. Darius Gilmore Darby Williams they all had good seasons and Rex got his mitts on them. The thing that makes me most angry is that then they expect us to believe they arent trying to tank, well if that was the case you wouldnt have traded your best WR and CB for a second and a third. Both Gaines are Matthews are FA at seasons end so you essentially made your contract situation worst with the trades. Now since we arent as bad as the Rams Jets Browns 49ers and a few others(who by the way might also be needed a QB) if none want to trade out we wont have the QB if we do end up trading up we wont have the picks for a top WR or a top CB. lets just hope someone falls or we get a diamond in the ruff with the later picks.

Again with the QB talk.

Numbers don't lie. The best college QB cannot tie Tyrod's cleats.

A top 10 offense.

Darby was always under Rex. Rex drafted him and started him.

Losing Sammy hurts, but losing him next year for nothing would have hurt more.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again with the QB talk.

A top 10 offense.

Unless those stats result in wins, the reliance on the run game will cloud Tyrod's value. If the team struggles, there's going to be a lot of noise for the QBs that could be available. It's looking like a strong QB draft: Sam Darnold (USC), Mason Rudolph (OkSU), Josh Rosen (UCLA), Luke Falk (WSU), Lamar Jackson (Louisville), and Baker Mayfield (OKC) are all projected as potential 1st rounders, with Darnold and Rudolph currently 2 and 4 overall (CBS).

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless those stats result in wins, the reliance on the run game will cloud Tyrod's value. If the team struggles, there's going to be a lot of noise for the QBs that could be available. It's looking like a strong QB draft: Sam Darnold (USC), Mason Rudolph (OkSU), Josh Rosen (UCLA), Luke Falk (WSU), Lamar Jackson (Louisville), and Baker Mayfield (OKC) are all projected as potential 1st rounders, with Darnold and Rudolph currently 2 and 4 overall (CBS).

No top ten offense in 20 years. (maybe one? Orton?).... Tyrod is not the problem with wins and losses. And any of those college arms are not the answer.

Again, I'm not denying what you are saying. I just hate that that is the likely line of thought. It's exponentially incorrect.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again with the QB talk.

A top 10 offense.

I mention the QB talk because its whats going to happen the writing is on the wall, he was Whaleys signing and so far they are doing everything to show Whaleys picks the door. I like Taylor and I wish they would have kept weapons around him so he would have a chance. We are going to loss Matthews and Gaines for nothing, but the plan is probably let them walk and take the comp picks because we are now rebuilding. We will be starting over, in the offseason we will need a few WR hoping someone who can be a #1 a QB another CB along with the LB problems we have now. Yeah Darby had a good rookie year but probably saw how everyone acted because Rex was one of the guys and his play fell off. Its just stupid that the GM is apparently annoyed that people say we are trying to tank but whatelse can we as make of the moves made. They certainly werent made to make this team better.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mention the QB talk because its whats going to happen the writing is on the wall, he was Whaleys signing and so far they are doing everything to show Whaleys picks the door. I like Taylor and I wish they would have kept weapons around him so he would have a chance. We are going to loss Matthews and Gaines for nothing, but the plan is probably let them walk and take the comp picks because we are now rebuilding. We will be starting over, in the offseason we will need a few WR hoping someone who can be a #1 a QB another CB along with the LB problems we have now. Yeah Darby had a good rookie year but probably saw how everyone acted because Rex was one of the guys and his play fell off. Its just stupid that the GM is apparently annoyed that people say we are trying to tank but whatelse can we as make of the moves made. They certainly werent made to make this team better.

Yup. I hear ya. Can't deny the inevitable, but I can absolutely call it out as untrue.

Less than a handful of times this team has had a top 10 scoring offense since Jimbo. Taylor is one. And he did it with his WR1, 2, 3 and 4 hurt for much or most of the season. But people want to draft Losmans and Manuels. Only to have Holcombs and Ortons take over briefly. I just don't get it.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. I hear ya. Can't deny the inevitable, but I can absolutely call it out as untrue.

Less than a handful of times this team has had a top 10 scoring offense since Jimbo. Taylor is one. And he did it with his WR1, 2, 3 and 4 hurt for much or most of the season. But people want to draft Losmans and Manuels. Only to have Holcombs and Ortons take over briefly. I just don't get it.

I get it Taylor can be a real threat if given proper weapons, but the question that is still being asked is can he be a dominant QB I just dont think he can get to the Peyton or Rodgers kinda level and that is what people are looking for because if you have that guy you are always in the SB conversation no matter what else is going on with the rest of the team. So I can definitely see the other side of the argument. We didnt go to 4 straight SB because Kelly was a good QB we went there because he was one of the best to ever play.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's the heart of your problem; drafting Losmans and Manuels (and Edwards, trading for Rob Johnson, etc). The Bills haven't aimed high enough for a QB since Kelly (other than trading for Bledsoe, and that was on the downside of his career). They need to get a real franchise QB. I do like Peterman, but have the feeling he won't be enough to satiate if they do decide to move on from Tyrod unless the change happens midseason and Peterson takes the job and runs with it.

With respect for Joe Ferguson (who endured through many years of garbage after OJ), the Bills have one franchise QB in their NFL existence (Kelly), and he had to be convinced to come here. It took the dissolution of the USFL to get it done. Yes, I know Kemp and Lamonica, but they were AFL (and half a century ago).

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping and having are two different things. We can hope for Aaron Rodgers all day. Maybe if we didn't trade up for Losman the year prior, he could have fallen in our lap instead of GB.

Having a top ten offense with, puts us in the playoff conversation. Having a shiny, new toy might look good...but would you trade Taylor for Goff right now? I wouldn't even consider it.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Rodgers rode the pine under the starter. It's not like that if we cut Taylor loose.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So for this season we can focus on one important issue....we have absolutely zero depth on the offensive line

I know Glenn was out and I think another starter was out too

The offensive line was just horrendous last night, I called Henderson a human turnstile last week but that's too much of a compliment at least a turnstile will get in the way for a moment, Henderson might as well not even be there