• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WTF?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Gamel currently in Tacoma and now Jeff Pazos is down there too? What the fuck?

I know we needed a fresh arm in the bullpen (to save Romine from future TJ surgery) and someone had to go down, but, Pazos? Seriously? He had thrown a grand total of 22 pitches over the previous five days. Not exactly a taxing workload, and he is the number one lefty reliever on our team. The only other lefty reliever is Zack Duke who so far has a 12.0+ ERA to show for his Mariner career.

And now that Cameron Maybin is here, why is Gamel still in Tacoma and Gil Heredia still in Seattle? Is Heredia out of options? Is Heredia that so much better defensively that they can sacrifice Gamel's offense when this team desperately needs offense wherever they can find it?

Management is overthinking things. They need to simply and face reality as well. Heredia may be an exuberant rah-rah Munenori Kawasaki clone, but, also like Kawasaki, he is not MLB-level talent. And he's never going to be, either. After slumping badly in the second half last year, Gamel has been a solid hitter this entire season. Unlike Heredia, he has shown growth which means he could continue to improve for a couple more years vefore he levels off.

Look at this list of run scoring frequency by mariner players:
Segura: 6.46 (1 run per 6.46 plate appearances)
Maybin 7.25
Cano 7.48
Haniger 8.32
Gamel 8.54
Cruz 8.58
Gordon 8.91
Romine 9.15
Span 9.21
Healy 9.58
Seager 9.78
Zunino 10.34
Freitas 11.25
Hermann 12.80
Heredia 13.55

Kernz

Sativa
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Gamel currently in Tacoma and now Jeff Pazos is down there too? What the fuck?

I know we needed a fresh arm in the bullpen (to save Romine from future TJ surgery) and someone had to go down, but, Pazos? Seriously? He had thrown a grand total of 22 pitches over the previous five days. Not exactly a taxing workload, and he is the number one lefty reliever on our team. The only other lefty reliever is Zack Duke who so far has a 12.0+ ERA to show for his Mariner career.

And now that Cameron Maybin is here, why is Gamel still in Tacoma and Gil Heredia still in Seattle? Is Heredia out of options? Is Heredia that so much better defensively that they can sacrifice Gamel's offense when this team desperately needs offense wherever they can find it?

Management is overthinking things. They need to simply and face reality as well. Heredia may be an exuberant rah-rah Munenori Kawasaki clone, but, also like Kawasaki, he is not MLB-level talent. And he's never going to be, either. After slumping badly in the second half last year, Gamel has been a solid hitter this entire season. Unlike Heredia, he has shown growth which means he could continue to improve for a couple more years vefore he levels off.

Maybin 7.25
Cano 7.48
Haniger 8.32
Gamel 8.54
Cruz 8.58
Gordon 8.91
Romine 9.15
Span 9.21
Healy 9.58
Seager 9.78
Zunino 10.34
Freitas 11.25
Hermann 12.80
Heredia 13.55

The Powers the Be are Stupid.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great example... Just mind boggling to me the reason they gave for choosing Heredia over Gamel... Mind you that this was in the midst of a scoring drought as well for the team... 5 run difference.... Unreal... Heredia definitely did not/does not make up the 5 run gap w/ his glove...

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lmfao..

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just about had it with this organization from the top all the way down to the bat boy. :L

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just about had it with this organization from the top all the way down to the bat boy. :L

Even the bat boy was caught tripping-falling on his way back to the dugout the other day

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Management is overthinking things. They need to simply and face reality as well.

Nice post PV.

Ill just focus on that small part you posted because it seems to be a theme.

The fact that Gamel/Heredia swap was finally made today is irrevelant because you can just add it to list the of moves that were made three weeks too late.

Just off the top of my head here's a list of moves that were made way too late.
-Having someone other then Dee Gordon lead off
-Sending down or DLing Pazos
-Getting rid of Mark Rzecpskinsi (Scrabble)
-Stop pitching Nicasio in key situations
-Removing Felix from the rotation
-The Ichiro debacle

There's also the glaring issues that are obvious that still haven't been addressed
-Seagar still batting 5th
-Zunino still looking lost as ever and just completely flailing
-Romine (LOL IS HE SERIOUSLY STILL HERE)
-Rotation Depth (rolling out guys like Elias and Erasamo and having to go back to Felix because you refuse to address rotation depth)

Those are all moves that anyone that was paying a little bit of attention could see needed to happen but this Dipoto/Servais combo just refused for the longest time to acknowledge. Its one thing if you are a dipshit like Jack Z and its clear you don't know what you are doing. However I know Jerry and Servais are smart guys, but the sheer arrogance of either trying to prove themselves right or refusing to admit mistakes is just flat out asinine.
I wont clog up this thread anymore but my god.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice post PV.

Ill just focus on that small part you posted because it seems to be a theme.

The fact that Gamel/Heredia swap was finally made today is irrevelant because you can just add it to list the of moves that were made three weeks too late.

Just off the top of my head here's a list of moves that were made way too late.
-Having someone other then Dee Gordon lead off
-Sending down or DLing Pazos
-Getting rid of Mark Rzecpskinsi (Scrabble)
-Stop pitching Nicasio in key situations
-Removing Felix from the rotation
-The Ichiro debacle

There's also the glaring issues that are obvious that still haven't been addressed
-Seagar still batting 5th
-Zunino still looking lost as ever and just completely flailing
-Romine (LOL IS HE SERIOUSLY STILL HERE)
-Rotation Depth (rolling out guys like Elias and Erasamo and having to go back to Felix because you refuse to address rotation depth)

Those are all moves that anyone that was paying a little bit of attention could see needed to happen but this Dipoto/Servais combo just refused for the longest time to acknowledge. Its one thing if you are a dipshit like Jack Z and its clear you don't know what you are doing. However I know Jerry and Servais are smart guys, but the sheer arrogance of either trying to prove themselves right or refusing to admit mistakes is just flat out asinine.
I wont clog up this thread anymore but my god.

Good job listing "a day late and a dollar short" decision fiascos management makes/doesn't make. There are more for the list no doubt, but what I don't get is how/why the hell ownership sits back and lets this kind of piss poor management happen? Some of the items you mention are pretty damn clear to anyone who knows anything about baseball. You just might be giving too much credit to the Dipoto/Servais regime though. I think Jerry comes across as somewhat savvy baseball-wise but I'm not so sure about Scott though. I'm guessing the hard core veteran players see issues but keep their mouth shut, collect their fat paychecks and enjoy the ride without rocking the boat. Cano, in particular, worked under a "real" manager and probably enjoys working with a wishy-washy, easily manipulated manager who has shown difficulty making timely decisions and who never busts anybody's ass when it is so clearly needed. Hey Scott- they say nice guys finish last so keep being Mr. Nice Guy and see where it gets you and the team.- good luck :tsk:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what a great franchise does...

5 moves that built the Athletics into a contender

1. 3B, Matt Chapman: Selected in 1st round (25th overall) of 2014 MLB Draft
  2. P, Sean Manaea: Acquired along with P Aaron Brooks from the Royals in 2015 for IF Ben Zobrist and cash
  3. 2B, Jed Lowrie: Acquired from the Astros in 2015 for RP Brendan McCurry
  4. OF, Khris Davis: Acquired from the Brewers in 2016 for SP Bubba Derby, C Jacob Nottingham
  5. P, Blake Treinen: Acquired with SP Jesus Luzardo, and IF Sheldon Neuse from the Nationals in 2017 for RP Sean Doolittle, and RP Ryan Madson

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what a great franchise does...

5 moves that built the Athletics into a contender

1. 3B, Matt Chapman: Selected in 1st round (25th overall) of 2014 MLB Draft
  2. P, Sean Manaea: Acquired along with P Aaron Brooks from the Royals in 2015 for IF Ben Zobrist and cash
  3. 2B, Jed Lowrie: Acquired from the Astros in 2015 for RP Brendan McCurry
  4. OF, Khris Davis: Acquired from the Brewers in 2016 for SP Bubba Derby, C Jacob Nottingham
  5. P, Blake Treinen: Acquired with SP Jesus Luzardo, and IF Sheldon Neuse from the Nationals in 2017 for RP Sean Doolittle, and RP Ryan Madson
And Oakland getting Fiers from Detriot after the trade line. How could the Mariners let that happen? The guy is 11th in the league in ERA. That is the equivalent of a #2 starter. And the acquisition of Fiers may very well have been the final nail in the coffin for the Mariners playoff hopes. Did Dipoto even make an offer to Detriot for Fiers?

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
R E B U I L D I N G

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybin 7.25
Cano 7.48
Haniger 8.32
Gamel 8.54
Cruz 8.58
Gordon 8.91
Romine 9.15
Span 9.21
Healy 9.58
Seager 9.78
Zunino 10.34
Freitas 11.25
Hermann 12.80
Heredia 13.55

I agree. Not because I have faith in Gamel, but because I'd rather see Heredia get regular reps down in AAA. Gamel - whatever you think of him - is what he is, he doesn't have much room to improve developmentally. Heredia on the other hand has a weird approach at the plate and frequently takes the wrong route on fly balls. He has the ability to be better, and I don't think that's going to happen if he's not getting routine reps in game situations.

But what do I know?