• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you make a trade?

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was chatting with a friend about all the dmen Philly has right now and when Coburn and A MAC come back it's going to be crowded. You also have some nice forward talent in the minors like Laughton who could step up if a forward is added to a trade.

Would you keep the depth intact or try to parlay a few of them into a stud dman? If so realistically who would be available that's better than we have now and at what cost?

Tyler Myers is intriguing but wouldn't they want our young talent when Philly most likely would rather move players on the roster? :noidea:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't make a trade. I like the young group the Flyers have, I'd like to see them be patient.

At the trade deadline, the Flyers will have Schultz and Alphabet to move as rentals, and MDZ but the way he's playing I'd extend him. Pick up a couple mid-round picks for those guys if you're out of contention and then just move in to the offseason.

If they put together consistent outings like last night though, I'd just ride this crew in to the playoffs. Even when Coburn and Mac come back, injuries will still strike.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't make a trade. I like the young group the Flyers have, I'd like to see them be patient.

At the trade deadline, the Flyers will have Schultz and Alphabet to move as rentals, and MDZ but the way he's playing I'd extend him. Pick up a couple mid-round picks for those guys if you're out of contention and then just move in to the offseason.

If they put together consistent outings like last night though, I'd just ride this crew in to the playoffs. Even when Coburn and Mac come back, injuries will still strike.

I agree that nothing should or probably wont happen until the trade deadline. By that time we should have a few spare parts on defense. Trading Schultz or Alphabet would get some type of pick but not open any cap space. I have been on the record that Schenn and Grossmann fit the trade deadline mold. Grossmann has been playing like a legitimate 2nd pairing guy while Schenn is playing like a legitimate 3rd pairing guy. Schenn makes too much to be 3rd pair. While I think he is useful, for the cap hit, he would be my choice to move. A lot will depend on health and player progress. I think Schenn is what he is, a solid 3rd pairing guy. I would not, however, make a trade just to make a trade.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that nothing should or probably wont happen until the trade deadline. By that time we should have a few spare parts on defense. Trading Schultz or Alphabet would get some type of pick but not open any cap space. I have been on the record that Schenn and Grossmann fit the trade deadline mold. Grossmann has been playing like a legitimate 2nd pairing guy while Schenn is playing like a legitimate 3rd pairing guy. Schenn makes too much to be 3rd pair. While I think he is useful, for the cap hit, he would be my choice to move. A lot will depend on health and player progress. I think Schenn is what he is, a solid 3rd pairing guy. I would not, however, make a trade just to make a trade.

the problem with moving Schenn or Grossmann is they don't exactly fit what other teams look for at the deadline. they're both signed through next year at 3.5 as well. typically teams are looking for rentals at the deadline, they don't want that extra year. so where you could get a 2nd or 3rd for them if they were on the last year of the deal, you're getting 4th or 5ths for them. and I think they're more valuable to the flyers, than the 4th or 5th round draft pick would be.

keep them this season and then at next year's deadline, if you're still not looking like a contender, then you can move them for picks. get that 2nd or 3rd. and call up Ghost/Hagg/Morin to finish out the season and gain some experience. At that point they'd all have a good amount of AHL seasoning completed and they can transition in to a lower pressure environment. then your settled going in to the offseason on defense and you have that cap space to work with going in to 2016-17 to re-up Voracek/BSchenn/Couturier

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we trade AMac for a dozen pucks. Id be fine with that otherwise id leave the team in tact.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we trade AMac for a dozen pucks. Id be fine with that otherwise id leave the team in tact.

I'm usually a defender of AMac, but I haven't missed him one bit. I like the way the current group is playing. Although, it's good to keep in mind the strength of the opponents over the past week or so.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm usually a defender of AMac, but I haven't missed him one bit. I like the way the current group is playing. Although, it's good to keep in mind the strength of the opponents over the past week or so.

Lets just say I don't miss the constant turnovers in our own end by him which leads to more time in our end which is never a good thing.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets just say I don't miss the constant turnovers in our own end by him which leads to more time in our end which is never a good thing.

as people have projected, and advanced stats junkies have said.. the more puck movers the better on defense. right now that is seeming to be the case with Streit and MDZ pulling down most of the minutes.

I'm very curious to see what Berube does when Coburn and AMac come back though. IMO Schultz deserves to stay in the lineup. And we're only through 1 game, and it was the Oilers, but if CC plays like he did last night consistently he deserves to stay in the lineup as well.

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We should settle for a Big Mac. He really isn't a bad player. He would be a solid 16 minute per night 3rd pairing guy. At $5 mill/year for 5 more years is a little too much for that. He gets too many minutes which really exposes his weaknesses. Maybe, the coaches will figure out that giving some of the other guys a few of A Mac's minutes will make the team better.

P.S. Manning has been sent down.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't trade defensive depth unless you're getting better d-men in return

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't trade defensive depth unless you're getting better d-men in return

Good points everyone and you hit the dilemma Cobie if the Flyers could trade 2 dmen and even a forward for a better overall dman should they? If they don't guys like Schultz and CC would most likely sit once the others come back and the roster could still use a 1st pairing guy.

Would it be bad to move say A MAC Schenn and a Fwd like Read for a better dman if you could? Tough with the cap and you'd probably have to deal with someone who needs defensive depth the Fwd may be the carrot to push it over the top. Maybe teams like Buf, Car, Phx, etc would be interested and have cap space...

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points everyone and you hit the dilemma Cobie if the Flyers could trade 2 dmen and even a forward for a better overall dman should they? If they don't guys like Schultz and CC would most likely sit once the others come back and the roster could still use a 1st pairing guy.

Would it be bad to move say A MAC Schenn and a Fwd like Read for a better dman if you could? Tough with the cap and you'd probably have to deal with someone who needs defensive depth the Fwd may be the carrot to push it over the top. Maybe teams like Buf, Car, Phx, etc would be interested and have cap space...

The only problem with that is you trade your forward depth in a deal like that - I think the Flyers have to keep their assets and not try to do 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 deals because they need everyone they can get

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only problem with that is you trade your forward depth in a deal like that - I think the Flyers have to keep their assets and not try to do 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 deals because they need everyone they can get

:agree:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I was another team I wouldn't trade a top defenseman for AMac Schenn and Read. Especially with the Amac contract involved.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget that before Raffl went down they still had Atkinson and their first overall pick Laughton in the minors...amongst others like Ghost who will be ready soon. They don’t have enough room especially after signing CC on D. Maybe A MAC isn't the guy could be Coburn? It just may be the year to consolidate and find a top tier dman or someone who is close to being one. Then you have more guys like Morin coming up next year. Anyway not saying they should as depth is nice but they may be close enough to make a move for their D to give them a good shot this year and even better next year if they could pull it off. Something to ponder....and only possible because guys like MDZ and Schultz have played fantastic even CC looks ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was another team I wouldn't trade a top defenseman for AMac Schenn and Read. Especially with the Amac contract involved.

The are only 2 ways that a team would trade for A Mac.

1. They are significantly under the cap floor and absolutely no one else is out there to sign. It looks like the Sens are currently the bottom of the barrel and are still 4+ million over. This will not happen.

2. Find a team that still has a buyout left. is to get over the cap floor. No one in there right mind will take and keep his contract. If you included G or Jake and took back a 4th round pick, someone would take A Mac.
Since I really don't want to get rid of one of our top players, we a stuck with A Mac until a buy out would not sting too much.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some great stuff...
I would not rush to make a trade. I really like what this group has shown. Del Zotto looks like he has refound his game. He looks calm and confident and enjoys playing with whoever he is on the ice with. Schultz has really been a nice calming influence as well. Schenn has looked better too. He has clearly gone to the Koolaid and downed the pitcher....or he is getting better support from whoever he is paired with?

I think it will be interesting to see what happens. Coburn is the player who can bring the most in return who actually could be expendable with the blue line jelling the way it has and with the young depth coming. Moving him, and his contract, could net the best return long term, but I realistically see Coburn going for a pick package.

IMHO.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a proponent awhile back of trading Grossmann but recently he has really played quite well and helped Mason solidify his confidence with some great defense. He has also had some goals here and there and really has become a pretty darn good d-man on both ends of the ice when he is in there.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't really have a universal rumor thread so I'll bump this. Dredger making it sound like the Oilers are really pushing for a center. Maybe they want Vinny. :D

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't really have a universal rumor thread so I'll bump this. Dredger making it sound like the Oilers are really pushing for a center. Maybe they want Vinny. :D

We don't want Vinny. Nobody wants Vinny!!!!!!!!!!!!