• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would the Rams Consider the Franchise Tag on Saffold?

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roughly 10m guaranteed for 2014 to use the franchise tag on a Tackle. They Probably wouldn't consider it with his injury history and thats a lot of money. I looked up Luke Joeckel's contract he went #2 last year so its a good comparison of what Matthews would be making if we picked him #2. it basically avgs 5.3m a year for 4 years. 21m guaranteed. its much cheaper to draft a player now. drafting a guy in the second rd is really cheap.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not worth top 5 money, especially considering the Rams cap situation.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree the cap would have to be worked out. I believe Finnigan, Dahl and Wells will be cut which should free up some room but your right you still need money to sign FA and your draft pics. If you could guarrentee me Saffold could stay healthy for the season I might consider it though. Able to play LF, RT tackle and Guard at a high level is pretty nice.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its much cheaper to draft a player now. drafting a guy in the second rd is really cheap.

Yeah... but would you get a guy of Saffold's caliber with a draft pick, is the question. He's been nothing short of phenomenal at guard. It'd be a shame to lose such a building block on the line.

I agree with you and mutigers, though. A franchise tag is likely not the way the front office will go. Hopefully Saffold sees the potential in this team and decides to play ball instead.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... but would you get a guy of Saffold's caliber with a draft pick, is the question. He's been nothing short of phenomenal at guard. It'd be a shame to lose such a building block on the line.

I agree with you and mutigers, though. A franchise tag is likely not the way the front office will go. Hopefully Saffold sees the potential in this team and decides to play ball instead.

I think I heard if we restructure wells, cut Dahl and Finnegan we should be around 17mil under the cap and thats not including the rookie cap. So I would consider it if they thought he was going to walk. He's been such a versatile good player and those don't come around very often. Plus if Jake Long comes around sooner than expected our FO will look smart for once.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he makes the pro bowl - yes.

If not, maybe?

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely not! He has proven nothing, other than he has had a couple of "nice" games against some questionable defensive teams.

Our Oline has played better, but I'm still not happy with them! Alot of people made a big deal about us being the first team this year to have a 100 yard rusher against Tampa Bay, I'm sorry, but we had 39 carries and averaged less than 3 yards a carry!

We ran all over the two "worst" run defenses in the NFL, EVERYBODIES oline looked good against those teams. We are proving it in this game against Seattle that we still don't have a good Oline, and we have still looked bad against some other teams. Are we better than we were, yes, but we still have a long way to go and I think we re still ore than 1 oline away from having a good line?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then Smed, as I have stated all along, take Matthews and a guard in this draft and get rid of Dahl, Wells and let Saffold walk.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the corollary. We need one yard and Shottenheimer throws deep. Completely stupid!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodged a bullet on the drop.

Last edited by a moderator:

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely not! He has proven nothing, other than he has had a couple of "nice" games against some questionable defensive teams.

Our Oline has played better, but I'm still not happy with them! Alot of people made a big deal about us being the first team this year to have a 100 yard rusher against Tampa Bay, I'm sorry, but we had 39 carries and averaged less than 3 yards a carry!

We ran all over the two "worst" run defenses in the NFL, EVERYBODIES oline looked good against those teams. We are proving it in this game against Seattle that we still don't have a good Oline, and we have still looked bad against some other teams. Are we better than we were, yes, but we still have a long way to go and I think we re still ore than 1 oline away from having a good line?

I agree Barnes is getting destroyed today. hopefully we can trade down and get extra picks and really beef up the OLINE. Oline in the second rd for sure. Gabe Jackson please!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YEa, if our O-line really sucks, there are a number of O-lineman in this draft that are available to us when we pick that would take it to the next level. We just have to not eff up the draft Cougar.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then Smed, as I have stated all along, take Matthews and a guard in this draft and get rid of Dahl, Wells and let Saffold walk.

Easier said than done, I don't care if we take an Olineman with every picking this draft, you would think one or two of them would pan out!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to start somewhere and that usually means selecting a higher level of talent and then developing them. If Saffold is not in that mold, go after guys who are like Matthews and plug the guy in because Boudreau can definitely accelerate the progress of player talented or not.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think your right. Dahl & Wells will probably be gone. not sold on Matthews at #2 though would rather Lewan at 13 if they go tackle in the first.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rate Lewan third behind Matthews and Kouandijo.

scouting report says Matthew's is the better pass blocker and Lewan is a better run blocker. Kouandijo probably has the most upside. I just think there are to many impact players in the top 6 Clowney, Barr, Mack, Watkins, Jernigan, Dennard. where the difference in tackles isn't that much to get one later.(deep draft for tackles)