• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worried About The Yorks

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's about right but I have to admit you seem more on top of the player situation than me. I don't even know who Cooper and Gilliam are.

Cooper was the Guard Arizona took in the top ten a four or five years ago he played for the cowboys last year , he may even have started some. He has bounced around a bit and hasn't been the player they thought he would be when he was drafted but he is athletic and should provide some depth. Gilliam we signed from Seattle last year I think he started some for them as well but he's basically the backup for both Staley and Brown I believe he got injured last year and didn't see the field much if at all.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly the only thing they didn't get that I hoped they would or could is a Leo that could give them double digit sacks. However none were available in free agency so maybe the draft but none are worth the ninth pick. I imagine they will draft a guy for that spot some where in the first three to four picks I think the Niners have two third rounders.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooper was the Guard Arizona took in the top ten a four or five years ago he played for the cowboys last year , he may even have started some. He has bounced around a bit and hasn't been the player they thought he would be when he was drafted but he is athletic and should provide some depth. Gilliam we signed from Seattle last year I think he started some for them as well but he's basically the backup for both Staley and Brown I believe he got injured last year and didn't see the field much if at all.
No wonder I haven't heard of them. The 49ers roster has been full of guys who are mediocre to poor like those guys. Your description of those guys does not inspire a lot of confidence.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. They need to use a certain minimum for their salaries but once they hit that number there is nothing that says they have to spend any more. Am I wrong?
You are probably right though; there is probably a plan in place that I am not seeing and they don't want to deviate from it before giving it a couple of years to pan out.

I think this is how it works.

You start with $10. You have to spend at least 7, but no more than 10. Maybe you make 25, but you can only deal with 10.

If you spend 7, you have 3 added to next year's $10.

Now, you have 13. You have to spend 9.1 or more, but no more than 13.

Or you could spend the $10 and have 10 next year.

Will spending 7 get you more money outside that 10? Or do you have to spend 10 to get there. Are you better off spending (7 and 9.1) or (7 and 13) or (10 and 10)?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No wonder I haven't heard of them. The 49ers roster has been full of guys who are mediocre to poor like those guys. Your description of those guys does not inspire a lot of confidence.

They aren't the starters more the back up rolls playing only if one of the starters get hurt which they can do. I still see them adding two O-Linemen in this draft one interior and one tackle. I mean you are basically complaining that they had over a hundred million dollars in salary cap and only spend 60-70 million of it without there really being anyone worth spending the remaining money on with the exception of one of the WR but I thought they got paid way more than they should have for how little or injured they've been in their careers. It was a weak free agent class this year no sense in blowing all your cap on more mediocre to average players.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't the starters more the back up rolls playing only if one of the starters get hurt which they can do. I still see them adding two O-Linemen in this draft one interior and one tackle. I mean you are basically complaining that they had over a hundred million dollars in salary cap and only spend 60-70 million of it without there really being anyone worth spending the remaining money on with the exception of one of the WR but I thought they got paid way more than they should have for how little or injured they've been in their careers. It was a weak free agent class this year no sense in blowing all your cap on more mediocre to average players.
Just our luck when we have all this money to spend.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes so not much point in blowing all the cap space. They probably signed the best guys they could to actually help the team.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember the Yorks made players pay for their own stamps to answer fan mail? rememeber they nixed mariucci's plan to buy championship belt buckles for winning the western division? Then hiring the tools that they did as head coaches because they came cheap. Those are just three of the things I remember. It goes on and on.

Yes, there were things that happened when the Yorks turned over. I am not sure of all these coaches are that were hired because they were cheap. Tomsula was cheap but I don't think the reason he was hired was about the money. They always liked Tomsula and they thought he would be a good coach. Huge mistake. And if money was such an issue they would not have eaten all of those contracts.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's about right but I have to admit you seem more on top of the player situation than me. I don't even know who Cooper and Gilliam are.

They are backups. There is a shortage of quality olineman in the NFL and getting a good one in FA is not easy. The list of quality lineman hitting fee agency is very short. Norwell was the top guard and he went for big bucks. The 49ers signed Richburg who was the top center in free agency. There was no way they were going to try and sign both Richburg and Norwell.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

There in lies the problem, you only know Tom Brady, Antonio Brown, and Aaron Rodgers. If we don't sign an All-Pro, it appears to you we didn't sign anyone.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

You don't spend cap space just to spend anyway, because you over pay for Free Agents.

You have to sign guys who fit, not just any "Name" player.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, there were things that happened when the Yorks turned over. I am not sure of all these coaches are that were hired because they were cheap. Tomsula was cheap but I don't think the reason he was hired was about the money. They always liked Tomsula and they thought he would be a good coach. Huge mistake. And if money was such an issue they would not have eaten all of those contracts.
And no coaches worth a damn would take positions under Tomsula either. That's how they ended up with the shitheads they had as OC and DC.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That made Tomsula's job harder. The Niners failed miserably on that pick.

Yes, they could have had a Gase/Fangio combo. I would have felt much better about that. Gase talked about it in an interview last year. He wanted the job and thought he had it and then the 49ers called and said they gave the job to Tomsula,

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, they could have had a Gase/Fangio combo. I would have felt much better about that. Gase talked about it in an interview last year. He wanted the job and thought he had it and then the 49ers called and said they gave the job to Tomsula,
Probably saved the Yorks a couple of bucks.