• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wk 1 vs Bucs Recap

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 31-24 loss to the Bucs marks 3 straight losses to boys down in Tampa.

The good...the young DEF players, Campbell, Jones, got their feet wet with their 1st NFL action. Campbell clearly played the best of the 2...showed his speed all over the field in coverage, shot a gap for a TFL...Jones played okay, gave up a fairly easy TD on a missed coverage assignment, but aside from that, he played a decent game. I expect both to be the permanent starters. Poole is kind of a next man up type situation...didn't hear his number called much.

Tevin Coleman showed his explosiveness in the receiving game, but the Bucs more or less controlled the running game. Neither RB could do much on the ground. Sanu had a good 1st game...got nicked on the ankle, as did Julio so will be interesting to see if they both play in OAK.

Note to Shanahan...unless it's off some kind of misdirection, stop running the toss sweep vs the Bucs...they killed it every time.

The bad...The DEF gave Tampa 3 1st downs on penalties to keep drives alive on 3rd down...they got TDs on 2 of them that I remember. Matthews had a rough 1st half, with at least 2 penalties, a hold, and presnap motion, plus he was beat on a sack. The interior of the OL in general didn't play well, McCoy had a great day against them.

Ryan...he missed a few throws, but he also had a few drops. The final series, he was not sharp. Obviously in 4 down territory, but threw one behind Julio on 3rd down that was not even close to the 1st down makrer...That said, imo, Matt played well enough to win yesterday. The OFC run game got shut down. just didn't make enough plays to stay with Tampa.

DEF...they didn't get any sacks, but they got some pressure on Winston at times, several QB hits, and one caused a pick...but not consistent enough...at least twice he was able to come off his primary WR and burn the Falcons. Vic Beasley was non-existent.

Scheme wise...maybe this will change when they get Neal, and Collins back, but the Falcons are not good enough on the back end to rush just 4 like DQ seems to prefer. I would like to see them sending Jones or Campbell 3 to 5 times a game.