• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Witten Officially retiring

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disappointed for the team and that I won't be able to watch him any more. But glad for him and glad he retired if he felt it was time. A true ambassador of the game and a role model who did things the right way. The ring of honor awaits and a gold jacket awaits. Good Luck and Thanks #82!!!:sad2:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read this.

Two years ago during the renaissance of youth for the Cowboys, Ezekiel Elliott affectionately nicknamed the franchise cornerstone “Gold Jacket Witt.” There aren’t many more perfect ways to describe Jason Witten in such few words.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've still yet to see a definitive answer on how this affects the cap this year. We don't know if the restructure ever officially went through. Even if it did was it a signing bonus payable immediately or was it going to be paid out weekly and include some language in case of retirement? Will the team try to get that back from him? Will Witten just offer it up because he kind of screwed them with how it went down after restructuring? It's not really an important discussion for today, but I would like to know and obviously we will hear at some point soon.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to note that he knew he was going to be released next offseason and there's uncertainty in the locker room so he decided to walk away now. Smart move on his part.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been around for some all time greats walking away from the game while playing for the Cowboys. He is right up there with every single one of them. Made you proud to be a fan of this football team. I don't have tears in my eyes like I did when Staubach retired but I'm old.

He will be a GREAT color analyst. Bank it.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been around for some all time greats walking away from the game while playing for the Cowboys. He is right up there with every single one of them. Made you proud to be a fan of this football team. I don't have tears in my eyes like I did when Staubach retired but I'm old.

But will Witten be as good as Tony Romo? He can't be worse than Aikman LOL

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've still yet to see a definitive answer on how this affects the cap this year. We don't know if the restructure ever officially went through. Even if it did was it a signing bonus payable immediately or was it going to be paid out weekly and include some language in case of retirement? Will the team try to get that back from him? Will Witten just offer it up because he kind of screwed them with how it went down after restructuring? It's not really an important discussion for today, but I would like to know and obviously we will hear at some point soon.

I had heard it will make zero impact. I don't even remember where, maybe DC.com :noidea:

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is one of the most productive players in the game for his entire career. He seemed to do it all.

This move will hit the team hard as his leadership will be missed.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was curious if this story was true in that the Cowboys screwed over Dez Bryant by releasing him after free agency started so that his prospects and ability to choose which team to sign with would be hard so to fire a shot back for his teammate Witten waited until draft day to announce his retirement which is obviously after free agency which hurt the Cowboys ability to really find a replacement? If this is true I think it was awesome what Witten did and way to stick up for your teammate.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is one of the most productive players in the game for his entire career. He seemed to do it all.

This move will hit the team hard as his leadership will be missed.

Yep. You don't just "replace" someone like him in the room. It'll be interesting to see who steps "up" to that role. Not "in" to that role.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looking at spotrac and others apparently it was worked out in such a way that the books are clear of his salary totally. nothing counts against our cap numbers. so apparently he went out as a Cowboy heart and soul

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looking at spotrac and others apparently it was worked out in such a way that the books are clear of his salary totally. nothing counts against our cap numbers. so apparently he went out as a Cowboy heart and soul
Spotrac doesn't know and isn't official. Their numbers aren't even right in some cases for this team. That being said until this morning they had Witten as a $4.7M hit this year. They changed it from what they had all along last week after his rumored retirement announcement and then changed it again today. It seems they are trying to find out what the true hit is also or have just today corrected their mistake from last week.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. You don't just "replace" someone like him in the room. It'll be interesting to see who steps "up" to that role. Not "in" to that role.

I think on the field it has to be by committee. Full back needs to step up as well as the #4 pick. Rico hopefully will take over the pass catching duties.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All time great Cowboy!!! Gonna miss him. Glade he is retiring healthy!!!

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spotrac doesn't know and isn't official. Their numbers aren't even right in some cases for this team. That being said until this morning they had Witten as a $4.7M hit this year. They changed it from what they had all along last week after his rumored retirement announcement and then changed it again today. It seems they are trying to find out what the true hit is also or have just today corrected their mistake from last week.
probably the last. overthecap has totally different numbers

Sir Robin Of Camelot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think on the field it has to be by committee. Full back needs to step up as well as the #4 pick. Rico hopefully will take over the pass catching duties.

I really hope he does... because right now I don't have a good feeling about him. I would love him to change my mind.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
probably the last. overthecap has totally different numbers
Yeah, I checked OTC the other day and they had us with like $9M in cap space whereas Spotrac had us in deficit. Both had Witten wrong, OTC had all the rookies wrong and spotrac had Hanna wrong, Gregory wrong and showed Scandrick as a full hit instead of the post 6/1 hit with an asterisk stating the savings isn't realized until post 6/1.