• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With the 78th pick in the 2014 NFL draft...

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Washington Redskins select Spencer Long.
This is their 3rd pick this year.

The 77th pick in the draft went to the 49ers where they drafted ILB Chris Borland.

Here are my questions to you my fellow Skins Fans.

1: If Borland was not picked by the 49ers do you think we would have drafted him?
2: Is anyone here regretting the Long pick, or do we simply wait this one out?

Borland had a massive game last week with 17 tackles and the big fumble recovery in OT. Bill Polian thought Borland will be a huge disappointment. He said, "He's lacking a little bit on the athletic side," Polian said. "In a 3-4 where he can just plug and play, that's kind of OK. [In a 4-3], [he's] not a fit at all because the speed and the lateral movement isn't what you want." Most analysts were pretty high on Borland including Kiper.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add to my question number 2. Should we have traded up to secure Borland, especially after Fletcher retired and Keenan's injury history?

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not have liked to trade additional picks to move 1 fucking spot to land him...thats for damn sure.......

Look at his stats...Guy has 1 big game and you are already sucking him off???? for the year he has

38 tackles 4 solo a game!!! Monster numbers NOT!!
12 assists 1.3 assists a game... Monster numbers NOT!!!
1 sack and
1 fumble recovery

in 9 games played......Doesnt look to me like he has been a monster..looks to me, that he had a great game against the saints.......

Good game last week?? No doubt..but his body of work thus far leaves alot to be desired in my opinion

I realize we all want Long and Mosses to be playing.....but I refuse to give up on either becasue they havent cracked the starting line up in there rookie year..Alot of 3rd round picks on the Oline dont start their rookie year, or 2nd year even,.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its too early to write off Long

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
America's safest and most boring city: Irvine, CA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its too early to write off Long

It is too early to write off Long or Moses, but it is also disappointing that both are at the bottom of the depth chart and can't beat out either Chester, Lavau, Polumbus or Compton. That doesn't bode well that neither have stepped in quickly, but give them another year to see if they are ready to contribute.

3rd round picks can take a year or two to develop, but they could also both be busts in waiting. Wish we knew more for sure.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think if borland dropped to us we would have drafted him but i like both robinson and riley (he isnt perfect but if we use him right he helps us )

as for long and morgan , no need to be "disappointed " in them yet . i think finding out what compton and ribeye are , has something to do with it as well

trading up to get borland could have cost us breeland or grant so i think we did ok :suds:

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not have liked to trade additional picks to move 1 fucking spot to land him...thats for damn sure.......

Look at his stats...Guy has 1 big game and you are already sucking him off???? for the year he has

38 tackles 4 solo a game!!! Monster numbers NOT!!
12 assists 1.3 assists a game... Monster numbers NOT!!!
1 sack and
1 fumble recovery

in 9 games played......Doesnt look to me like he has been a monster..looks to me, that he had a great game against the saints.......

Good game last week?? No doubt..but his body of work thus far leaves alot to be desired in my opinion

I realize we all want Long and Mosses to be playing.....but I refuse to give up on either becasue they havent cracked the starting line up in there rookie year..Alot of 3rd round picks on the Oline dont start their rookie year, or 2nd year even,.

You do realize he was put into the starting lineup because of Patrick Willis injury?
Sucking him off? lol.

And did you think I wanted to give up 3 first round picks to move up a few spots to get him?
Obviously the 9ers would not trade with us if they wanted him. so moving up one spot was not in play.

Understand my point any more?

Last edited by a moderator:

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Lonewate44. Read this before making any more comments on the subject.

Play of rookie Chris Borland alleviates blow of losing Patrick Willis - ESPN

Just as the San Francisco 49ers start to get reinforcements on the defensive side of the ball -- outside linebacker Aldon Smith’s nine-game suspension is over -- their defense took another hit with All-Pro inside linebacker Patrick Willis being placed on season-ending injured reserve with a toe injury on Tuesday.

Still, the roster hit might not be as severe a Super Bowl-crippling blow as imagined. Not with the recent play of Willis’ replacement.

i

Borland
Rookie Chris Borland has started in place of Willis the past three games, and two weeks ago, in a loss to the St. Louis Rams, Borland had 18 tackles. He followed that up with 17 tackles in Sunday’s overtime victory at the New Orleans Saints.

Granted, there are few linebackers in the league with Willis’ pedigree -- seven Pro Bowls, five first-team All-Pro selections -- but Borland has proved a steady replacement, at least with a small sample size.

“Fun to watch,” Niners coach Jim Harbaugh said of Borland. “He’s doing a great job. He does have a ... he’s got a sense for the ball. I've been watching it in practice and you watch it in the games. He’s like a thief in the night. He’s going to get under somebody, get around somebody.”

It was Borland who recovered Drew Brees’ fumble after Ahmad Brooks’ strip-sack, which enabled the Niners to kick the game-winning field goal Sunday.

“You look how far he went to get that fumble,” Harbaugh said of Borland. “He was the furthest guy away from that pile, that point where the ball was, and slashed in there and then secured it.”

Willis injured his left big toe at St. Louis on Oct. 13 and seemed to be on track to returning, practicing in a limited capacity two weeks ago before being shut down last week.

Willis had taken over play-calling duties from NaVorro Bowman, who is continuing his rehab from January’s devastating left knee injury. Now, Michael Wilhoite is calling the defensive plays, while Borland helps make up for Willis’ absence in other ways.

“[Borland is] in on a lot of tackles, covering a lot of ground,” Harbaugh said. “He plays the game. It means a lot to him. He cares. You can see that by the way he plays and is doing an outstanding job.”

Still, you have to wonder whether the loss of Willis accelerates Bowman’s return. Harbaugh did say there was a chance Bowman could begin practicing this week.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think if borland dropped to us we would have drafted him but i like both robinson and riley (he isnt perfect but if we use him right he helps us )

as for long and morgan , no need to be "disappointed " in them yet . i think finding out what compton and ribeye are , has something to do with it as well

trading up to get borland could have cost us breeland or grant so i think we did ok :suds:

You make a valid point here. Breeland pick becoming a risk would have been horrible for us.

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize he was put into the starting lineup because of Patrick Willis injury?
Sucking him off? lol.

And did you think I wanted to give up 3 first round picks to move up a few spots to get him?
Obviously the 9ers would not trade with us if they wanted him. so moving up one spot was not in play.

Understand my point any more?

I never thought it would be anything like that......even giving up a 7th to move up 1 or 2 spots is not acceptable...You never know....that 7th COULD have stuck....Hell we have a 6th ropund RB starting as a rookie 3 years ago......

I didnt realize he hadnt been a full time starter...He did have a couple good games.... Could he have been an upgrade over Riley? probably....Over Robinson....Dont know..he has played well.....

just becasue he has played good for the niners, doesnt mean he could do the same in DC

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never thought it would be anything like that......even giving up a 7th to move up 1 or 2 spots is not acceptable...You never know....that 7th COULD have stuck....Hell we have a 6th ropund RB starting as a rookie 3 years ago......

I didnt realize he hadnt been a full time starter...He did have a couple good games.... Could he have been an upgrade over Riley? probably....Over Robinson....Dont know..he has played well.....

just becasue he has played good for the niners, doesnt mean he could do the same in DC

I was counting down the picks with about 10 picks left and he was still there. With one pick left, I thought oh wow, the niners have Bowman and Willis! We got him! Then.. they take him.

If Moses or Long turn out to be anything good (just one of them!), then I won't be bothered by it, but if they turn out to be recycled league junk and out of the league in 3 years while Borland is killing it for a decade, this will be pitiful.
Especially when the permed prognosticator that is Mel Kiper had us taking him at pick number 47 two months before the draft.
What did Polian see that others like us probably agreed with? He is short? He is a little taller than Fletcher and has been an exceptional player for years. Time will tell.

I will add that my frustration level is high, because it is hard for me to believe that neither Moses or Long are good enough yet to beat out the current right side of our line. Is our scheme so complicated? Is Long still not 100 percent despite them saying he is? Hopefully we get a chance to see them both before the year is up.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was counting down the picks with about 10 picks left and he was still there. With one pick left, I thought oh wow, the niners have Bowman and Willis! We got him! Then.. they take him.

If Moses or Long turn out to be anything good (just one of them!), then I won't be bothered by it, but if they turn out to be recycled league junk and out of the league in 3 years while Borland is killing it for a decade, this will be pitiful.
Especially when the permed prognosticator that is Mel Kiper had us taking him at pick number 47 two months before the draft.
What did Polian see that others like us probably agreed with? He is short? He is a little taller than Fletcher and has been an exceptional player for years. Time will tell.

I will add that my frustration level is high, because it is hard for me to believe that neither Moses or Long are good enough yet to beat out the current right side of our line. Is our scheme so complicated? Is Long still not 100 percent despite them saying he is? Hopefully we get a chance to see them both before the year is up.

i dont expect year one starters to come from the 3rd round . let the guys get some seasoning before we get frustrated

sublime4eva

Westcoast Redskin fan....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look to see Long and Moses play pretty soon.
Especially when we're officially out of the playoffs.