• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With no NT on the team

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk about much ado about nothing. We play 43 and 34 already. A guy like Dorsey isn't going to change that. Our NT played 30% of the snap last season. Like I have been saying over and over. We play A LOT of downs with 4 dlinemen.

This.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Talk about much ado about nothing. We play 43 and 34 already. A guy like Dorsey isn't going to change that. Our NT played 30% of the snap last season. Like I have been saying over and over. We play A LOT of downs with 4 dlinemen.

agreed! the only difference that Dorsey might make is that he's a little bit more like RJF in that he can swing over and give Justin or Ray a breather at their spots. I think Dorsey is an upgrade over RJF in most aspects, and he's a lot more versatile that Sop. Good pickup - should provide our line a boost!

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

That's fair enough, the whole 4-3/3-4 categorization thing is pretty over-simplistic anyway......guys like Aldon and Brooks are hybrids, and both can have a variety of responsibilities on any given play.

But I think the point is that they don't really have a true NT on the roster right now, unless your speculation that Dorsey weighs a lot more than his listed weight is correct. This would take them away from playing many 3-man fronts at all.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd assume there's two types of players that can fill the NT vacancy that we'd be most interested in:

1) traditional NT type who can collapse the pocket. He'd stay on the field on third down w/ 4 down lineman by pocket collapsing pass rushing ability, or we'd see more 3 d-line third down sets based on him being able to wreck everything

2) versatile NT who can also play DE to confuse the offense, and can also be used in third down situations. He'd be more quick than strong and would survive at NT using great leverage.

Maybe Dorsey fills this latter role? Maybe he can create some power pass rush on third down, but it's basically him vs. McDonald for pass rush. I'd want to have McDonald in that role primarily.

I'm looking at this signing that he'll be a rotational guy who can play everywhere to give whoever needs rest some rest. Hopefully he surprises.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd assume there's two types of players that can fill the NT vacancy that we'd be most interested in:

1) traditional NT type who can collapse the pocket. He'd stay on the field on third down w/ 4 down lineman by pocket collapsing pass rushing ability, or we'd see more 3 d-line third down sets based on him being able to wreck everything

2) versatile NT who can also play DE to confuse the offense, and can also be used in third down situations. He'd be more quick than strong and would survive at NT using great leverage.

Maybe Dorsey fills this latter role? Maybe he can create some power pass

rush on third down, but it's basically him vs. McDonald for pass rush. I'd want to have McDonald in that role primarily.

I'm looking at this signing that he'll be a rotational guy who can play everywhere to give whoever needs rest some rest. Hopefully he surprises.

if we can luck out with 1), that would be HUGE, but few NT's fit this bill? yeah, can't help think Dorsey will fill 2)?

although Sop only played 31% of the snaps, it shows we still could use..... 3) a run stopping NT. opponents get into short yardage/goal line situations themselves. so it'll be ok drafting or otherwise obtaining one of these types at last resort, unless Ian is already this?

if via draft, we would spend the correct pick accordingly.