• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wisniewski to the Habs

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
TSN Article

TSN said:
The Montreal Canadiens announced Wednesday that the team has acquired defenceman James Wisniewski from the New York Islanders for a compensatory second round pick in 2011, and a conditional fifth round pick in 2012.

Are you fricken kidding me? This is exactly the type of dman this teams needs and he goes to a conference rival for a conditional 2nd and a 2012 5th. Unbelievable!

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure in Wilson's mind Wisniewski is not an upgrade over Huskins or Wallin. :L

I really did believe that at the beginning of the year Wilson knew Wallin and Huskins were gonna be glaring weaknesses in this Sharks team, now I'm honestly beginning to think he doesn't have a clue.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe the islanders didnt want to take salary back, so they wouldve wanted a first rounder maybe if they took huskins in return i dunno lol

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fail GM is fail.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TSN Article

Are you fricken kidding me? This is exactly the type of dman this teams needs and he goes to a conference rival for a conditional 2nd and a 2012 5th. Unbelievable!

While I 100% agree Cmon, do you really think the Sharks are 1 player (that being Wiz) away from winning the Cup? I sure don't even though I like how Wiz plays. Keep in mind he'll be a FA after this season. A 2nd rounder + is a steep price to pay for a rental who won't be the deciding factor (in my honest opinion) as a cup contender. I'd rather the Sharks stand pat this year unless it helps them now and in the future.

Fail GM is fail.

Great analysis as usual.

Last edited by a moderator:

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 2nd rounder is a steep price to pay for a rental who won't be the deciding factor as a cup contender.

Great analysis as usual.

Rhetorical question time: Would you like me to list all the picks that Dougie gave away for worthless rental players that played like shit down the stretch?

What's another one when you've fucked up so many times before?

Aside from me being unhappy with Dougie sitting on his thumbs and doing jack shit to improve his mediocre team, I'm not sure what analysis you were expecting, but whatever.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
While I 100% agree Cmon, do you really think the Sharks are 1 player (that being Wiz) away from winning the Cup? I sure don't even though I like how Wiz plays. Keep in mind he'll be a FA after this season. A 2nd rounder + is a steep price to pay for a rental who won't be the deciding factor (in my honest opinion) as a cup contender. I'd rather the Sharks stand pat this year unless it helps them now and in the future.

No, Wis wouldn't turn the Sharks into instant contenders, but he would be part to the solution in getting there. The Sharks can afford to give up a 2nd rounder as they will get a compensentory 2nd rounder for not signing Patrick White. Yes, he's scheduled to be UFA after this season, but there is a greater chance of re-signing a player if he is aquired now rather than at the deadline.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rhetorical question time: Would you like me to list all the picks that Dougie gave away for worthless rental players that played like shit down the stretch?

What's another one when you've fucked up so many times before?

Aside from me being unhappy with Dougie sitting on his thumbs and doing jack shit to improve his mediocre team, I'm not sure what analysis you were expecting, but whatever.

So if DWil has fucked up in the past making these same moves, he might as well keep on fucking up??? Those that don't remember history are doomed to repeat it.....fair enough.

Why don't you mention the aforementioned moves that DWil made that made you unhappy and tell us why you are GLAD he didn't make the same mistake again? Guys like you would rather just complain just to complain than have any actual personal analysis that they could be right or wrong with.....just criticize because it's easy to do. If you always criticize, you are happy when you are wrong, but if you're right, you "knew" it.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow a 2nd round pick for Wiz. Ohwell Doug missed out again. Not to burst anybodies bubble but I don't see doug able to make any kind of deal. I say this roster will stay the same. Too bad, but I just don't see what the sharks have that other teams want.

Just sign Owen Nolan to help the third/forth lines, and sign Cheech, and what the hell sign Friesen too. The chances Doug signing one of them is a lot higher than Doug getting a top Dman.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Wis wouldn't turn the Sharks into instant contenders, but he would be part to the solution in getting there. The Sharks can afford to give up a 2nd rounder as they will get a compensentory 2nd rounder for not signing Patrick White. Yes, he's scheduled to be UFA after this season, but there is a greater chance of re-signing a player if he is aquired now rather than at the deadline.

Fair enough, but that's the double edged sword (that I know you know way more about than I do) that GM's play with. If Wiz commands $4mil plus next year (which is entirely possible), the Sharks may be in the same quandary next season that they currently are in this season. I REALLY like Wiz, but if I were him, I'd be a merc next year and go to the highest bidder.....and I wouldn't blame him one bit. Why not? The Sharks can't afford to overpay above average players with their current salary structure in my humble opinion (unless they give away one of Patty, Joe or Heater).....Wiz falls in this category.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fair enough, but that's the double edged sword (that I know you know way more about than I do) that GM's play with. If Wiz commands $4mil plus next year (which is entirely possible), the Sharks may be in the same quandary next season that they currently are in this season. I REALLY like Wiz, but if I were him, I'd be a merc next year and go to the highest bidder.....and I wouldn't blame him one bit. Why not? The Sharks can't afford to overpay above average players with their current salary structure in my humble opinion (unless they give away one of Patty, Joe or Heater).....Wiz falls in this category.

His affordability to the Sharks is dependent on just how high the cap goes (Estimated to go to $62.0m) and DWil's ability to avoid panic signings like Wallin and Huskins. On the open market he will probably command somewhere between $4.0-$4.5m annually which, IMO, is reasonable and affordable for the Sharks. I don't know the dynamics of what Wis is looking for, i.e. a payday or a shot at the cup, so the chances of him re-signing is anyones guess but the more time he has with the team and the more success he has with them the greater the likelyhood he would re-sign.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His affordability to the Sharks is dependent on just how high the cap goes (Estimated to go to $62.0m) and DWil's ability to avoid panic signings like Wallin and Huskins. On the open market he will probably command somewhere between $4.0-$4.5m annually which, IMO, is reasonable and affordable for the Sharks. I don't know the dynamics of what Wis is looking for, i.e. a payday or a shot at the cup, so the chances of him re-signing is anyones guess but the more time he has with the team and the more success he has with them the greater the likelyhood he would re-sign.

I agree 100% with the above. Unfortunately, there's just no way of seeing the future. Honestly, I haven't been a big fan of DWil ever since ownership decided to open up its pockets 3+ seasons ago. The only reason why I get on rares about DWil is because it would be nice to see a concerted effort on his part to show objectivity every once in awhile.....or if that is unattainable, at least show us some analysis rather than making hasty blanket statements. When guys like you and Korky (or anybody else for that matter) show dissatisfaction with DWil, you both usually provide some sort of insight as to why you are frustrated. I'm no kool-aide drinker.....but I'm also not a jaded fan looking for any reason possible to bitch.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't hide my hatred for Dougie, sorry. For the many reasons mentioned many times before. I'm not going to list the reasons why I think he's a shitty GM... all over again. Please allow me to continue to believe he's clueless and jump for joy when he's finally shown the door one of these years.

I do however understand that it's a PITA to put up with my smart ass jabs at him over and over whenever he does or doesn't do something and I try to just STFU and not post much since it's so repetitive anyway and it's adding nothing that people here don't already know.

I guess I'll try harder (to abstain from Dougie bashing every chance there is).

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree 100% with the above. Unfortunately, there's just no way of seeing the future. Honestly, I haven't been a big fan of DWil ever since ownership decided to open up its pockets 3+ seasons ago. The only reason why I get on rares about DWil is because it would be nice to see a concerted effort on his part to show objectivity every once in awhile.....or if that is unattainable, at least show us some analysis rather than making hasty blanket statements. When guys like you and Korky (or anybody else for that matter) show dissatisfaction with DWil, you both usually provide some sort of insight as to why you are frustrated. I'm no kool-aide drinker.....but I'm also not a jaded fan looking for any reason possible to bitch.

To be honest I hesitate on throwing too much criticizm DWil's way for a deal he didn't make. There are just too many factors that could be going on behind the scenes that we have know way of knowing about. It's possible that the Islanders went to Wisneiwski and told him who had acceptable offers on the table and let him choose his destination. It's also possible that Wilson is working on something else he considers a better option than Wis.

My biggest issue with this trade and Wilson's non-envolvement is that it's a testimate to how his poor handling of the cap in the offseason has effected his ability to truely improve the team during the course of the season.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I didnt even read all the posts, but like I said in my other post, Dougie has smoked outa the same crack pipe Talon did in chicago before being fired... Chi got smart and canned the bastard before he made even more dumbfuck moves, and low & below they won the cup around the team he built... DWil needs so fucking go, and go fast... I dont know what is going thru the guys head this past offseason and current season, but whatever it is, the brain is scrambled... And whoever asked is Wis the answer? Fuck no he isnt, but he sure as hell is an improvment, and for that price? Are you kidding me? Get him and throw husky or wallin in the minors, eat the contract, they did before with mcLaren and his shit was worth more... Chi was ready to put Huets $5 mil the minors, it is possible if you want to win, but this year SJ doesnt want to win as I keep pinting out with the 50/50 starts or Garbage, I mean Niemi...

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 2nd rounder for a young rental that can be re-signed and used as one of the building blocks for the future is a great deal considering Doug has traded a first for guys like Rivet and Guerin in the past. And with all the trouble the Sharks have singing UFAs, it would help for the courting process to start now (acquiring him mid season).

There had to be a reason why Doug didn't do the deal. Any GM shopping a young Dman like Wiz has got to call the Sharks to see what Doug is willing to offer. It just makes sense to call up one of the most desperate teams for D help to see what you can get. Here's to hoping Doug has something up his sleeves.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 2nd rounder for a young rental that can be re-signed and used as one of the building blocks for the future is a great deal considering Doug has traded a first for guys like Rivet and Guerin in the past. And with all the trouble the Sharks have singing UFAs, it would help for the courting process to start now (acquiring him mid season).

There had to be a reason why Doug didn't do the deal. Any GM shopping a young Dman like Wiz has got to call the Sharks to see what Doug is willing to offer. It just makes sense to call up one of the most desperate teams for D help to see what you can get. Here's to hoping Doug has something up his sleeves.

Maybe, maybe not. I may be 100% wrong on this particular instance, but a lot of times GM's ask to speak to the player and the players agent before acquiring said player. If DWil talked to Wiz and his agent and got an idea of his salary demands, maybe that's why DWil didn't bite. I have a really hard time believing that DWil didn't inquire about acquiring Wiz.....especially with so many rumor sites saying that the Sharks did in fact have Wiz on their radar. Also, the Ducks traded Wiz after he had a strong season for them last year because they couldn't get him signed long term. Keep that in mind. Think about it, when a player of Wiz's skill set goes for THAT cheap (to a Conference rival no less), there must be something more there than meets the eye.

I agree, and I think it may have had to do with the above although I'm not sure. I hope DWil has something else up his sleeve ONLY if it helps the Sharks this year AND in the future. If it only helps for this season, honestly, I'd rather have DWil sit on his hands until he can rid himself of some horrid contracts. DWil has made a lot of bad decisions the last 3 seasons.....no sense in compounding the problem with other bandaid type situations. In this particular instance, I think it would be better to lose the battle (this season) and try to win the war (the Stanley Cup) in one of the next 3 seasons. Just my humble opinion.