• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wish I woulda' thought of that - Beer Forum edition

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This really appeals to me - especially as a fisherman, man. Nothing creates alcohol abuse more than setting it down.

51RMKbiOXrL._SS400_.jpg

beer-holster.jpg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They make dry erase tap handles.

I say I wish I would have thought of this because I did think of it, and then saw them in the Northern Brewer catalog.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
50455_hYeocKxCsWiATS1ID1AR0NrQJ.gif

did think of it. me and a friend anyways, we were doing this to our beers with a can opener years and years ago...even talked about trying to get it patented...but never did :pout:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
50455_hYeocKxCsWiATS1ID1AR0NrQJ.gif

did think of it. me and a friend anyways, we were doing this to our beers with a can opener years and years ago...even talked about trying to get it patented...but never did :pout:

Miller Lite had the Vortex bottle, and now the "easy shotgun tab." Why does Miller want us to drink their beer so fast?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Miller Lite had the Vortex bottle, and now the "easy shotgun tab." Why does Miller want us to drink their beer so fast?

Actually it is to reduce "glug" for a smoother easier poor, not so someone can shotgun a beer. I believe that that is the official stance. I mean really who still drinks beer straight from the can anyway?

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it is to reduce "glug" for a smoother easier poor, not so someone can shotgun a beer. I believe that that is the official stance. I mean really who still drinks beer straight from the can anyway?

I've never seen anybody pour a Miller Lite into a glass. Ever.

I'm not sure why a "smoother" pour would be beneficial. It's not like people pour a beer directly upside down. So you're going to get that effect by pouring a beer naturally.

Honestly, if somebody is going to the trouble to punch that tab, I can't imagine they're doing it because of improved pouring ability.

Which doesn't address the vortex bottle. That is CLEARLY designed for people to chug beer more efficiently.

Why does Miller want people to drink their beer faster?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've never seen anybody pour a Miller Lite into a glass. Ever.

I'm not sure why a "smoother" pour would be beneficial. It's not like people pour a beer directly upside down. So you're going to get that effect by pouring a beer naturally.

Honestly, if somebody is going to the trouble to punch that tab, I can't imagine they're doing it because of improved pouring ability.

Which doesn't address the vortex bottle. That is CLEARLY designed for people to chug beer more efficiently.

Why does Miller want people to drink their beer faster?

Apologies I keep forgetting that sarcasm does't work over the interweb. As one who does't consume Miller Lite, I honestly can't answer your questions. However that same could be said for beer poured fRom a bottle or out of a keg.

In all seriousness it doesn't matter if someone wants to shotgun a beer they can pretty muchsshotgun any beer.

But that brings up another question, why do homebrewers hate macro's so much?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:drink:

Macro/Maintenance beer is OK (depending on what it is). Every once in a while when I want to get completely hammered a 18 pack of something like this works as good as drinking a 12 pack of the good stuff (and not remembering, appreciating, or giving a damn what the last 7 delicious beers tasted like). Not to mention you usually spend more $$$.
It is very convenient having cans of maintenance beer when you are catfishing, camping, (and many other outdoors activities), or trying to smuggle beer in somewhere or something like that.
I was pretty wrecked a couple weeks ago and "keyed" a couple Miller Lites that a buddy brought over. That was kinda fun...

Last edited by a moderator:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah watery american light lagers are good in certain circumstances....college football saturdays being one of them. You can drink all damn day and still be under the legal limit! :D

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Isn't that obvious? No one drinks it for taste, so they want you to get through it faster so you can buy more.

Apologies I keep forgetting that sarcasm does't work over the interweb. As one who does't consume Miller Lite, I honestly can't answer your questions. However that same could be said for beer poured fRom a bottle or out of a keg.

In all seriousness it doesn't matter if someone wants to shotgun a beer they can pretty muchsshotgun any beer.

For me it's because they kind of insult the brewing process. There's no creativity, no risk, no thought. And then they shove this "brilliant invention" of theirs down our throats through rigorous advertisement, the funding money for which could have been used to actually develop a good beer.

Also, it doesn't taste good, but since it's the most-consumed beer, macroswill is what the general populous associates with what beer is supposed to be. The United States has one of the best craft brewing cultures in the entire world (and probably the single most diverse), but it all gets overshadowed by a few tasteless, cookie-cutter, no-variety macrobrew companies.

Beer is, and should be perceived as, a beverage as diverse, as nuanced, as complex, and as cultured as wine, at least in my opinion.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can answer this as a homebrewer and a professional brewer (including time spent judging both amateur and professional beer competitions). First, let me throw out that I'm currently drinking a Coors Light, and I do enjoy PBR.

Now, why do homebrewers hate macros? There can be a number of reasons. Traditionally, American Light and American Standard Lagers are viewed as inferior products because of the inclusion of cereal adjuncts (rice and corn, which provide no flavor, but boost alcohol content). The marketing campaigns are geared toward people with literally ZERO knowledge of anything beer (I'm still highly amused by Coors Light's "cold/super cold" campaign; the colder the beer, the less the flavor, and there's not much there to begin with).

Also, these beers are typically marred by compounds such as DMS (cooked corn/tomato juice flavor), Diacetyl (butterscotch, buttered popcorn; slick feeling on the roof of your mouth). Craft brewers don't have the luxury of screwing a beer up the way these guys do, because Bud Light is widely regarded as one of the worst 10 beers on the planet. However, it makes up about 20% of total beer sales world wide. That's not because it's good. That's because it is being consumed by people who largely don't care what they drink.

And I'm sure there's a fair amount of beer-snobbery that goes on. And to be honest, a fair amount of that is deserved. I drink cheap beer SPECIFICALLY because it is cheap. If I want to drink good beer, no macro makes that list.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that obvious? No one drinks it for taste, so they want you to get through it faster so you can buy more.

For me it's because they kind of insult the brewing process. There's no creativity, no risk, no thought. And then they shove this "brilliant invention" of theirs down our throats through rigorous advertisement, the funding money for which could have been used to actually develop a good beer.

Also, it doesn't taste good, but since it's the most-consumed beer, macroswill is what the general populous associates with what beer is supposed to be. The United States has one of the best craft brewing cultures in the entire world (and probably the single most diverse), but it all gets overshadowed by a few tasteless, cookie-cutter, no-variety macrobrew companies.

Beer is, and should be perceived as, a beverage as diverse, as nuanced, as complex, and as cultured as wine, at least in my opinion.

I was being rhetorical.

Nice rest of the post. There is a place for the big three, but that place comes with disdain from experienced beer drinkers (not all homebrewers fall into this category).