• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Philly trade Foles once Wentz returns?

Would Philly trade Foles in this situation?

• They would keep him as the backup

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • They would be willing to trade him for a fair deal

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • They would be willing to trade him, but only if another team overpays significantly

Votes: 16 55.2%

• Total voters

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be clear, Philly is set on Wentz as "the guy", and they are right to feel that way.

But let's say Foles plays well again for 2-4 games. Then Wentz returns before the trade deadline and appears to have returned to form. Does Philly entertain shipping Foles out to a QB desperate team that would likely way overpay for him in a trade, or would they hang onto him as the backup even though his contract is essentially over after the season?

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't black and white. What does somebody offer? If they didn't have him last season they don't win a playoff game.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't black and white. What does somebody offer? If they didn't have him last season they don't win a playoff game.

Hence why I highlighted the specific circumstances that would make trading him even somewhat of an option. I can't see them doing it unless Wentz is back and playing well, and then perhaps they'd consider it if they could take some other team to the cleaners for Foles in a trade.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz is a brittle bitch who will eventually give way to Foles. Therefore, he isn’t going anywhere.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any trade offer has to be over the top for the Eagles to let their Wentz insurance policy go.

And some of this may depend on how Sudfeld looks throughout the rest of the pre-season.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz is a brittle bitch who will eventually give way to Foles. Therefore, he isn’t going anywhere.

Unless they get incredibly lucky again, you'll be wishing the Pats had a QB anywhere near Wentz's league once Brady finally hangs 'em up.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless they get incredibly lucky again, you'll be wishing the Pats had a QB anywhere near Wentz's league once Brady finally hangs 'em up.
It shouldn't be hard replacing TB12. It's the system. Just ask half of Hoop nation.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any trade offer has to be over the top for the Eagles to let their Wentz insurance policy go.

And some of this may depend on how Sudfeld looks throughout the rest of the pre-season.
Or risk losing him for nothing at the end of the year? No way Philly retains him at $20M next year.
See NE 2017

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or risk losing him for nothing at the end of the year? No way Philly retains him at $20M next year.
See NE 2017

if they were going to accept less than a first, they would have during the draft

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they were going to accept less than a first, they would have during the draft
That's not true. They still don't know if/when Wentz will be ready. Not trading Foles pre-draft may have been one of the better decisions that dysfunctional FO has made in years.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It shouldn't be hard replacing TB12. It's the system. Just ask half of Hoop nation.
lol yeah man, I remember the "system QB" arguments about Brady going back to when I posted on the old ESPN boards. I will say that I do think that Belichick and Brady are almost perfect for each other as coach and QB, but Brady's status as a top legend can't be denied regardless. Whether or not he would have developed as well or even gotten a proper opportunity when he was new to the league in a different situation is up for debate, but had he gone elsewhere/Belichick left even a couple of years into Brady becoming an elite player, Brady would still have had a great career.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol yeah man, I remember the "system QB" arguments about Brady going back to when I posted on the old ESPN boards. I will say that I do think that Belichick and Brady are almost perfect for each other as coach and QB, but Brady's status as a top legend can't be denied regardless. Whether or not he would have developed as well or even gotten a proper opportunity when he was new to the league in a different situation is up for debate, but had he gone elsewhere/Belichick left even a couple of years into Brady becoming an elite player, Brady would still have had a great career.
You do realize you're in the minority?
Take cover.
:peep:

Then again it's starting to even out with the departure of guys/gals like Hammer, Tgann and MA...

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say that they should trade him for the best offer, they aren't getting anything except maybe a minor comp pick in 2020 if they keep him.

They got their ring and Foles very well could still be what he was before that 2 game run where he was literally the best I've ever seen a QB of his pedigree ever play.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize you're in the minority?
Take cover.
:peep:

Then again it's starting to even out with the departure of guys/gals like Hammer, Tgann and MA...

You're right, but I couldn't care less about people saying Brady is a "system QB". Anyone who says that is either trolling or simply doesn't understand football. I'm not too big on the championships argument, but you're not going to take a team to 8 title appearances with 5 wins while being perennial division/conference favorites for most of those years with a QB who is less than elite.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christian Hackenberg is probably going to be the starter at some point after Wentz's career ends this season.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ch-Ch-ristian H-H-Hackenberg i--i-is prob-probably going to b-b-be the st-st-starter at s-s-sss-some p-point after W-W-(wuh!)Wentz's career e-ends th-th-this s---s-season.

Don't worry buddy, you'll be Handi-capable like Jimmy someday!

giphy.gif

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be clear, Philly is set on Wentz as "the guy", and they are right to feel that way.

But let's say Foles plays well again for 2-4 games. Then Wentz returns before the trade deadline and appears to have returned to form. Does Philly entertain shipping Foles out to a QB desperate team that would likely way overpay for him in a trade, or would they hang onto him as the backup even though his contract is essentially over after the season?

I think they keep him this season...the market to trade him was peak back in the spring. No team wants a $13 mil cap hit as a backup QB, but they had to be conservative with Wentz. Now...an injury situation to a starter would make him attractive again, but aside from that, I don't see his value being higher or as high as it was around the draft.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are clearly grooming Nate Sudfeld to be the long-term backup to Wentz, and Foles is really only under contract through the current season. So a trade is certainly possible. But I think the most likely scenario at this point, barring a major injury this weekend that opens up a starting job somewhere, is for Foles to play out the string with Philly.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not true. They still don't know if/when Wentz will be ready. Not trading Foles pre-draft may have been one of the better decisions that dysfunctional FO has made in years.

super bowl champion FO...