• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will McClay signs an extension

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand, but if he does like Cousins did he will ask for 2019 FT as his average salary and 2019 and 2012 FT money as guaranteed.
Then we wave good bye and use the money elsewhere.:wave:
IMO he is actually a little underrated because of how well he plays the run, but he is not irreplaceable

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt. If we had another $10-$20M hanging around a few of those years we wouldn't be watching other teams bring in big FAs while we sit back and sign Nolan Carroll.
Bravo!!!

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
instead of the franchise tag I would have put a 1st round tag that way we let other teams do the negotiating and then we can match or pass. if we pass then we get that team's next 2 1st round picks
what's up Scotsman....while I kinda agree, two things
whole bunch of teams have HUGE money under the cap they gotta spend
Lawrence played very well last year, about as good against the run as he was getting upfield, nothing wrong with a one year deal if he's an ass wanting the big long term deal on basically one season of major production

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then we wave good bye and use the money elsewhere.:wave:
IMO he is actually a little underrated because of how well he plays the run, but he is not irreplaceable
Agree, and if that's how its gotta be, so be it.

I'm hoping they come to an agreement prior to the deadline, because I can see this being the same issue if he performs the same as he did this season. Plus if he come to an agreement it would most likely give cap relief right now.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lawrence played very well last year, about as good against the run as he was getting upfield, nothing wrong with a one year deal if he's an ass wanting the big long term deal on basically one season of major production
Good point about some teams with a lot of cap room. The Jets could give him a 3 year $55M deal and pay him a $30M salary year one and barely feel the hit on their cap and have a bargain for the next two years. My opinion was always if you are willing to let a guy hit FA, you better be willing to lose him. Now to be honest I've always felt you don't over pay guys because everyone has a value that you don't go over and if a guy like Lawrence wants to leave you just use the money on someone else even if at a different position and you won't lose much. Also agree with Lawrence as being a well rounded player and that is why I am fine paying him like he has had 4 great years even though he really hasn't. Being a 3 down stud nowadays seems the exception. I love the future of Lawrence, Irving and Collins (plus all the other guys) on this DL. It's one of the reasons I hope for a guy like Vea and how dominant on every down it could potentially make this DL. Guys who can get after the QB and also stop the run are special

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys who can get after the QB and also stop the run are special
I couldn't agree more.
I think we're close to fielding an above average D if the young DB's continue to get better. We need another strong draft with two or three additions to that side of the ball

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't agree more.
I think we're close to fielding an above average D if the young DB's continue to get better. We need another strong draft with two or three additions to that side of the ball
Seems so long ago since we fielded an above average defenense. We absolutely need a good offseason. Fletcher Cox type DT is my #1 priority on defense. A beast clogging the middle.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have they gotten rid of the poison pill in contracts? If not. We wouldnt be able to match a contract.
if they haven't then let him walk. another 2018 1st round pick and someone like Okafor would have eased the pain

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
except that it hamstrings the team in filling needs this offseason and forces the team to play the restructuring game which limits the team over the next 3 to 5 years. this is a no-win scenario which complicates any long-term planning. it is time the Cowboys moved away from this thinking

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
except that it hamstrings the team in filling needs this offseason and forces the team to play the restructuring game which limits the team over the next 3 to 5 years. this is a no-win scenario which complicates any long-term planning. it is time the Cowboys moved away from this thinking
I agree.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't agree more.
I think if Lee is healthy and we resign Hitchens we will be better this year on that side of the ball already. I think we have enough talent now in the defensive backfield that it will just come down to who plays when and where. I put Lewis and Awuzie out there on the corners and let everyone else fight for what's left. I still think White will contribute a little at the back end of the roster so with him that gives us enough bodies to go around back there. Scandrick may be a cap casualty if Lawrence doesn't sign long term and Crawford could be a post 6/1 if DLaw plays under the tag AND we go there at #19. I would love to add one LB or two if Hitchens isn't resigned and a 1 tech that can also push the pocket. I think we have enough DL to go around and would like to add one more talented guy to be in the top 4-6 rotation.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can't keep um all.
The restructuring game and releasing some is a fact of business in todays NFL. Dallas didn't have enough money to get Martin in fold and keep Lawrence and Hitchins. They most likely won't be able to keep Hitchins anyways.
It's a cap shoot and a shell game and will always be up to second guessing by fans. In the end, it remains about nothing but winning a championship.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitchens is all but gone IMHO
Lawrence tag was the only move based on injury and " suspensions" and not agreeing on long term value and production maybe they get a long term deal done maybe not

I prefer to build through the draft which we are finally starting to do without over paying
Are we close I am not really sure lots of questions and no consistent real success from my point of view
Success = more than 1 and done in Playoff wins and that has not been happening for a good while 1995 since the Cowboys played in a championship game :gaah:

Thank God we are not the Browns but I feel their fans frustration just the same

Enough doom and gloom its spring and right now hope springs eternal
:suds:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitchens is all but gone IMHO
Lawrence tag was the only move based on injury and " suspensions" and not agreeing on long term value and production maybe they get a long term deal done maybe not

I prefer to build through the draft which we are finally starting to do without over paying
Are we close I am not really sure lots of questions and no consistent real success from my point of view
Success = more than 1 and done in Playoff wins and that has not been happening for a good while 1995 since the Cowboys played in a championship game :gaah:

Thank God we are not the Browns but I feel their fans frustration just the same

Enough doom and gloom its spring and right now hope springs eternal
:suds:
Once McClay signed the extension, staying the course picked up a lot of steam. With all the picks they have this year, I feel really confident that they can fill several holes at LB, DT, WR, S and OG. The great thing for Dallas is those are all role positions, they are good at QB, DE, LT, etc

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why I didn’t even raise an eyebrow at the “fill in team name asked to speak with Will McClay” stuff…

Cowboys vice president of personnel Will McClay has told team officials he’s not planning on interviewing for any potential front office openings. The Los Angeles Chargers and Washington Commanders made requests to speak with McClay for their general manager openings. The Carolina Panthers also expressed interest.

“He’s very important to our operation, without a doubt,” McCarthy said. “I think the most important thing you want as an organization, when you get things, when you know they’re right, is to build off the consistency. Very happy for Will personally because I know the amount of work that he puts into this.”