• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why is Boggs playing

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
unless he is wade's identical son, where did he come from and why is he getting any atbats over marte, gorkys, and grossman.

sometimes i really dont understand what happens in the spring, but when players are babied too much, we wonder why they are off to slow starts.

please give me some really good reasons why we aren't giving our top 7 reps and showing them off for a midseason blockbuster because that is our area of strength if we are going to pull off a corner IF stud.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunno, why not?

Marte played in the b-game today, so it isn't like he wasn't doing anything. Also, it isn't the NFL combine, it is Spring Training, everyone needs work, no matter where they fit in the organization in the long run.

Why so worried about their trade value? Do you really think a few more ab's in the Spring will mean anything in the long run as far as trade value?

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
then bring up all the A and rookie league guys and let them hack away.
what did tabata do today.
wasted AB's are wasted AB's.
let boggs play the b-league.
we have at least 6 guys who should be playing A games before him.
we need to get out of the blocks asap.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They are already going to be playing 162 games this year, no need to overwork them in spring training.

Bogged is playing because the management group wants to see what he is capable of when someone gets hurt later in the year.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
4 innings and 2AB better not be considered being overworked. it is a fragile generation, but that is taking it bit too far.
what do we need to see from boggs, ever when we need to see if ppresley is really better than mclouth and if marte could really be a june call up if necessary or do we need other options.
why not give reps to mccutch, tabata, presley, jones, mcclouth, marte, grossman, gorkys. that is 8 people to share 12 AB a game and sometimes 24 a day.
i would even rather see navarro get a chance to be an all purpose option if necessary if he continues to handle the bat adequately.
other than a whimsical position, please state a strong position wh boggs should get reps.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reply to sychmd

I have no specific info on Brandon Boggs. But as a general practice, major league teams frequently give guys "on the bubble" some early playing time in Spring Training in order to facilitate quick decisions.

Apparently, Pirate scouts see some potential in Boggs which is not so obvious to us fans. He's a switch-hitting outfielder with a little pop, who has drawn enough walks to OPS .821 at AAA over the past 4 seasons. My guess is that they're trying to determine whether Bogg is worth keeping as depth at AAA. I suspect that he'll be assigned to AAA or released well before the end of ST.

They already know that McCutchen, Tabata, Presley, and McLouth will come north with the team. Those guys will have plenty of time to get ready after the team thins out by shipping some guys to minor league camp and releasing others. Also, they've already stated that Marte and Hernandez will start the season at Indianapolis..... and it's likely that Grossman will start at Altoona.

But they need to make decisions on guys like Boggs, Evans, and Fox..... so those guys are getting some early playing time to help management make those decisions.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early Spring Training ab's thats it. He will be reassigned sooner or later. His 0-11 doesn't help the cause to justify anything though...