• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Who would you rather have in your OF for the next 7 years? Mookie or Trout?

Who would you rather have in your OF for the next 7 years? Mookie or Trout?

• Mookie Betts

• Mike Trout

• Indecisive potato salad

Results are only viewable after voting.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMFAO. No. Not even. Highest single-season OPS is only good enough for 119th all time. How about adjusted OPS+? He's single-season high is good enough for 60th all time and it is his only season in the top 100. No, he is not an all-time top five player, unless you want to pretend like the first 115 years of MLB did not happen.

His career averages are up there... I do agree, he still needs that single GREAT season, to be top 5 ever or even top 10... But he is the closest thing we have... He is the best player of this generation and that is not even close, and he is still only 27...

OPS and OPS+ are not perfect stats... in fact they are very flawed, as they over value Walks and power...

ALL adjusted numbers are pretty bad comparing between eras, as it relies too much on the average player... so it is not about how good player A is it is about how good they are compared to the average player... and ballpark factor is a pretty inexact stat too...

but even if you want to bring up OPS+, you realize Trout led baseball 4 times in his career, and is also leading this season...

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMFAO. No. Not even. Highest single-season OPS is only good enough for 119th all time. How about adjusted OPS+? He's single-season high is good enough for 60th all time and it is his only season in the top 100. No, he is not an all-time top five player, unless you want to pretend like the first 115 years of MLB did not happen.

That's as many top 100 seasons as Hank Aaron and Willie Mays doesn't have any.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Age not as much a factor as games played. Trout has almost double the amount of games played. Betts 571 and Trout 1017. While Trout is also 55 + pounds heavier. The knees take a beating.

that is a good point... Do you think he will be like Andruw jones and just totally disappear?? thing is, his approach at the plate is so good, that he should be able to last... if anything he would have to run less...

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you're talking about a guy that's led his league in OPS+ four times (not counting this year and he's finished in the top 3 two other times) and is currently 6th all-time in OPS+.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is a good point... Do you think he will be like Andruw jones and just totally disappear?? thing is, his approach at the plate is so good, that he should be able to last... if anything he would have to run less...

he's a wayyyyyyyyy better hitter than Jones ever was though. Jones was a good hitter, but his best season (.263/.347/.575, 136 OPS+) would be considered a very disappointing year for Trout.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's a wayyyyyyyyy better hitter than Jones ever was though. Jones was a good hitter, but his best season (.263/.347/.575, 136 OPS+) would be considered a very disappointing year for Trout.

oh, I know... wasn't comparing the two players statistically... just the potential disappearage...2 CFs who came up at such an early age... had so much mileage...

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh, I know... wasn't comparing the two players statistically... just the potential disappearage...2 CFs who came up at such an early age... had so much mileage...

that's fair though I'd say a lot more of Andruw's value was tied to his defense, something that can fall off pretty quickly. And in Andruw's case, it did.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's fair though I'd say a lot more of Andruw's value was tied to his defense, something that can fall off pretty quickly. And in Andruw's case, it did.

Andruw might just be the best defensive CF of all time... which must have taken a toll to his legs... Just like Trout stealing so many bases...

But I do think that Trout is too important to any offense that if he does show decline, they will move him to Left Field...

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One never knows? I'm just throwing it out there. It's like heart attacks. The "healthiest" individuals sometimes have massive canaries that kill them. While other couch potato, drinking, smoking and fat food slobs live to 100. You just never know. But research is showing these larger, stronger athletes have more issues then previous smaller generations. On the flip side there is also better medical treatment today.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three of the seven top headlines on ESPNs web site;
Chapman out of ASG to rest knee.
Angels put Pujols on DL with inflamed knee.
Kluber (knee) to miss ASG, replaced by Snell

The knees take a beating

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three of the seven top headlines on ESPNs web site;
Chapman out of ASG to rest knee.
Angels put Pujols on DL with inflamed knee.
Kluber (knee) to miss ASG, replaced by Snell

The knees take a beating

Apparently saves aren't the only thing Chapman's blowing.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Psssh Ill take Dustin Ackley over these two losers any day of the week

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One never knows? I'm just throwing it out there. It's like heart attacks. The "healthiest" individuals sometimes have massive canaries that kill them. While other couch potato, drinking, smoking and fat food slobs live to 100. You just never know. But research is showing these larger, stronger athletes have more issues then previous smaller generations. On the flip side there is also better medical treatment today.

I know that I never drop my guard around this fucker, even though he always seems happy :wink:

bigbird.jpg

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andruw might just be the best defensive CF of all time... which must have taken a toll to his legs... Just like Trout stealing so many bases...

But I do think that Trout is too important to any offense that if he does show decline, they will move him to Left Field...
Trout barely steals any bases anymore and Andrew Jones turned into The Blob......The work ethic between the two was never even close.....