• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who are the most overrated and underrated college football coaches?

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Iowa as being a pretty good coaching gig. The school pumps lots of money into the football program (the brand new facilities are said to be spectacular, and the stadium is undergoing another upgrade). The fan base is pretty darn loyal & rabid. Many visiting B1G football players throughout the years have said that Kinnick Stadium is one of the most intimidating venues in which to play (the fans are practically right on top of the player bench area).

Also, the new recruiting visit rules help/favor out-of-the-way schools such as Iowa: parents now also get paid official visits, and recruits & parents can now take official visits during the Junior year of high school (far-away low income families & their sons are no longer limited to taking only unofficial visits in their Junior year to inexpensive near-by university locations.)
Location and instate talent are abysmal though. I do ageee that it has some nice positives. You get a pretty good fan base to back you that won’t be going for you head unless things really suck, which is nice in terms of job security and stress as a coach.

They’ve also been able to produce a decent amount of NFL talent which speaks to the positional coaching that goes under the radar.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sherman2.jpg

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, they going back so far in time that dude could have started for Michigan while they were still relevant.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should ask USC and Tenn fans how Kiffin is on the list, but duck immediately afterwards

I don't know how you can come off of last years turn around at FAU and call him overrated. He looks like a brilliant coach right now, and 2 more big winning seasons at FAU and I would expect him to be picked up again by a P5 school and rightly so.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how you can come off of last years turn around at FAU and call him overrated. He looks like a brilliant coach right now, and 2 more big winning seasons at FAU and I would expect him to be picked up again by a P5 school and rightly so.

I don't think it will take 2. And if he knocks off OU that might be all it takes.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Kirk Ferentz considered overrated? Iowa fans are content with 7-8 wins a year and Kirk never disappoints them.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Kirk Ferentz considered overrated? Iowa fans are content with 7-8 wins a year and Kirk never disappoints them.
Probably because he is like the 12th highest paid coach in college football and should be better more consistently than once every 5 years.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably because he is like the 12th highest paid coach in college football and should be better more consistently than once every 5 years.

Just means Kirk has the best agent in the country and the people paying Kirk are idiots.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think it will take 2. And if he knocks off OU that might be all it takes.

IF FAU knocks off OU he deserves it.

I think you guys are forgetting something very important: this was Florida Atlantic University.
Yeah, 11-3 was a huge turnaround from 3-9, and their former coach (Partridge) absolutely sucked, but let's not get carried away.

They play in what is probably the weakest league in D-1/FBS -- which includes several teams who are just a few seasons removed from D1-AA/FCS.

In their OOC, they played Navy, Wisconsin, Buffalo, and AA Bethune-Cookman from the MEAC. The only one of those games they won, was against B-C.

Their Bowl win was a home game, in their own stadium, against 7-6 Akron, who somehow won their division but were probably the 5th-best team in the MAC last year.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, YOU cheel

Kiffin, when at UT, was recruiting Alshon Jeffery hard to come to Knoxville. Alshon was leaning to South Carolina, and Kiffin told him, "If you sign with us, you'll be a Pro; you sign with them, you'll be pumping gas in a few years"

Alshon now has a SB Ring; Kiffin coaches a minor league team in Florida