• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

White Sox draft catcher Zack Collins #1

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been remiss about posting this.

Looks like we've finally got around to drafting a long time need ... a REAL catcher.

This Zack Collins from "The U" is a Top 10'er and everyone's gushing over this kid.

I didn't realize it had been since way back in 1994 where we took a catcher in top spot ... and I don't even remember the guy, Mark Johnson.

White Sox take catcher and right-handed reliever with 1st two draft picks

I, also, remember everyone claiming the last big hope at catcher when we took Tyler Flowers to be AJ's heir apparent and that turned into a steaming pile. In fairness, catcher might be the most difficult draft option and grooming project for big leagues of all positions ... they're difficult to 'cultivate'.

Here's to hoping this guy pans out for a change.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been remiss about posting this.

Looks like we've finally got around to drafting a long time need ... a REAL catcher.

This Zack Collins from "The U" is a Top 10'er and everyone's gushing over this kid.

I didn't realize it had been since way back in 1994 where we took a catcher in top spot ... and I don't even remember the guy, Mark Johnson.

White Sox take catcher and right-handed reliever with 1st two draft picks

I, also, remember everyone claiming the last big hope at catcher when we took Tyler Flowers to be AJ's heir apparent and that turned into a steaming pile. In fairness, catcher might be the most difficult draft option and grooming project for big leagues of all positions ... they're difficult to 'cultivate'.

Here's to hoping this guy pans out for a change.

the problem is, by the time he might be ready for the sox he will no longer be a catcher. everything i've read so far indicates he's very bad as a catcher and will become a first baseman.

leave it to the sox to FINALLY draft a catcher .... who won't be a catcher.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reliever we drafted round one, lol...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that Nate Jones? :L

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins should make an appearance on the major league club this year, I'd imagine. Why the hell not considering the trajectory the team is now on after unloading important pieces?

Omar Narvaez as the team's 2017 starting catcher is just not palatable.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like you guys are catching up with the cubs of drafting a catcher that wont be a catcher too.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like you guys are catching up with the cubs of drafting a catcher that wont be a catcher too.
Collins will certainly be a C on the MLB roster. He can hit, but will polish his defensive skills before being called up.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the problem is, by the time he might be ready for the sox he will no longer be a catcher. everything i've read so far indicates he's very bad as a catcher and will become a first baseman.

leave it to the sox to FINALLY draft a catcher .... who won't be a catcher.
I don't now about that. Recent talk from the club makes it sound like they will try Collins at C on the MLB club eventually. They just signed Soto to a MiLB contract and I'm assuming Narvaez will get most of the 162 games.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't now about that. Recent talk from the club makes it sound like they will try Collins at C on the MLB club eventually. They just signed Soto to a MiLB contract and I'm assuming Narvaez will get most of the 162 games.

possibly, possibly not. few bad catchers can be turned into acceptable ones just because they are being coached in the minors (especially in the sox's minors). if you listen to the rhetoric the sox spit out year round they'd have you believe the sox will contend for the championship this year. pay no attention to it.

many major league catchers had to be converted to another position because they just couldn't handle the position. joe torre, dale murphy, paul konerko, jayson werth, mike sweeney, justin morneau, wil myers, jason motte ........... it's a long list of guys who were drafted as catchers who couldn't actually handle the position. of course, most of the guys i mentioned here became pretty good or at least acceptable players at other positions. there are many who never made it at all because they just couldn't catch and didn't hit well enough to even move to another position.

i would not count on collins being a catcher. if he does make it it will be a surprise.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
possibly, possibly not. few bad catchers can be turned into acceptable ones just because they are being coached in the minors (especially in the sox's minors). many major league catchers had to be converted to another position because they just couldn't handle the position. joe torre, dale murphy, paul konerko, jayson werth, mike sweeney, justin morneau, wil myers, jason motte ........... it's a long list of guys who were drafted as catchers who couldn't actually handle the position. of course, most of the guys i mentioned here became pretty good or at least acceptable players at othedr positions. there are many who never made it at all because they just couldn't catch and didn't hit well enough to even move to another position.

if you listen to the rhetoric the sox spit out year round they'd have you believe the sox will contend for the championship this year. pay no attention to it.

i would not count on collins being a catcher. if he does make it it will be a surprise.
It's actually refreshing the White Sox don't have their heads completely up their asses this year. This rebuild should've happened after Ventura's first season in 2012 when the winning record was a fluke.