• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where we're at

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at the Martin hiring from the perspective of what could it hurt. We have all seen how stubborn Dan Bylsma can be when his system isn't working, and he is unwilling to change the dynamic of the breakout, or simply adjust to what the opponent is doing. If that third asst. coach were to be Hynes, where he is basically running the same system in WB/S that Bylsma is running Pgh., what kind of different perspective is he really going to provide? Also, and I think Reirden and Granato may be guilty of this... are they ready to step up to Dan and say, "hey, this isn't working, why don't we try something else?"

I almost think that because they have a history with Bylsma, that maybe they're unwilling to suggest a different plan of attack, and I would fear that Hynes would fall into that same trap because he's never been a head coach above the AHL level.

With Martin, he has a unique outsiders perspective. Plus, he is a seasoned coach who has been around the league for a long time. He has coached against Bylsma in the post-season and beaten him. Since that 2010-11 series loss to the Canadiens, this team has suffered more post-season disappointments. Perhaps Martin can be that coach who can say to Dan, "hey, look why don't we try to change it up a bit. Don't let yourself be married
to one single philosophy for your plan of attack. Adjust to what is working for the opponent, and use it against him."

At least that is what I hope Martin will do. :hope:

Absolutely. I agree 100% with everything you say here.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at the Martin hiring from the perspective of what could it hurt. We have all seen how stubborn Dan Bylsma can be when his system isn't working, and he is unwilling to change the dynamic of the breakout, or simply adjust to what the opponent is doing. If that third asst. coach were to be Hynes, where he is basically running the same system in WB/S that Bylsma is running Pgh., what kind of different perspective is he really going to provide? Also, and I think Reirden and Granato may be guilty of this... are they ready to step up to Dan and say, "hey, this isn't working, why don't we try something else?"

I almost think that because they have a history with Bylsma, that maybe they're unwilling to suggest a different plan of attack, and I would fear that Hynes would fall into that same trap because he's never been a head coach above the AHL level.

With Martin, he has a unique outsiders perspective. Plus, he is a seasoned coach who has been around the league for a long time. He has coached against Bylsma in the post-season and beaten him. Since that 2010-11 series loss to the Canadiens, this team has suffered more post-season disappointments. Perhaps Martin can be that coach who can say to Dan, "hey, look why don't we try to change it up a bit. Don't let yourself be married to one single philosophy for your plan of attack. Adjust to what is working for the opponent, and use it against him."

At least that is what I hope Martin will do. :hope:

Nice post, maybe we need someone who could think on their own and break the mold. IDK, can't hurt I guess. Still would like to see us promote those from within the franchise instead of going for outsiders. We'll see how this goes. Like you said, ":hope:"

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. I agree 100% with everything you say here.

Same here.

I also see it from the perspective if Bylsma is let go and they replace him with Hynes they will have a good experience staff behind him.

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think of it this way. If Disco can change enough to be on board with bringing in the defensive minded Martin to the coaching staff, maybe he'll change his developmental point if view and start to play his young guys

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you guys are right about Martin, I personally don't see him having that great of an impact on our tendencies to favor vets over prospects, but hopefully I'll be wrong on this.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we'll look something like this to start the season,

L1: Chris Kunitz - Sidney Crosby - Pascal Dupuis
L2: James Neal - Evgeni Malkin - Beau Bennett
L3: Craig Adams - Brandon Sutter - Tanner Glass
L4: Joe Vitale - Jussi Jokinen - Matt D'Agostini
Reserve: Dustin Jeffrey

D1: Kris Letang - Rob Scuderi
D2: Paul Martin - Brooks Orpik
D3: Simon Despres - Deryk Engelland
Reserve: Robert Bortuzzo

G1: Marc-Andre Fleury
G2: Tomas Vokoun

I could see a different arrangement on L3, L4, & D3, but I'm fairly certain those players will be on the roster. We'll have to be more defensive orientated this season, I don't think we have the depth on our forward lines to put up the goals we've put up in recent seasons. Really glad we got Scud back.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man it got quiet come this off season. Well can't wait now.

Anyway those lines if that is the talent on the 3rd they are in trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if Vitale/Adams and Glass is the 4th and the the other 4 rotate on the 3rd or they go with Bennett/Sutter/? with Jokinen to start with Malkin/Neal.

I would rather see Bortuzzo play over Engelland who should be the 7th.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man it got quiet come this off season. Well can't wait now.

Anyway those lines if that is the talent on the 3rd they are in trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if Vitale/Adams and Glass is the 4th and the the other 4 rotate on the 3rd or they go with Bennett/Sutter/? with Jokinen to start with Malkin/Neal.

I would rather see Bortuzzo play over Engelland who should be the 7th.

Back 2 lines could probably be any combo. I totally agree about Bortuzzo over Engelland, but I doubt if it'll happen.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back 2 lines could probably be any combo. I totally agree about Bortuzzo over Engelland, but I doubt if it'll happen.

Oh yeah we all know that is the reality I just wish it wouldn't happen. All that needs to happen is one time is the new coach Martin to fall in love with one little thing Engelland does, one time on one shift and he is in the lineup every night. We already know Bylsma wants it that way.

I don't get that one, neither are world beater defensemen, neither will be mistaken ever as a top 4 shutdown type but at least Bortuzzo has upside.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah we all know that is the reality I just wish it wouldn't happen. All that needs to happen is one time is the new coach Martin to fall in love with one little thing Engelland does, one time on one shift and he is in the lineup every night. We already know Bylsma wants it that way.

I don't get that one, neither are world beater defensemen, neither will be mistaken ever as a top 4 shutdown type but at least Bortuzzo has upside.

Yeah, we give priority to fighters over prospects. I would also like to play both Vitale & Jeffrey over Glass, but I know that won't happen either.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN Insider:

Summer Skate: Pittsburgh Penguins

pit.gif

Was 2009 an exception? Pittsburgh fans are surely asking themselves this question, as their beloved team faltered in the Eastern Conference finals against the Boston Bruins, scoring just two goals in a four-game sweep by Boston. Most alarmingly, offense was thought to be the only thing the Pens had going for it entering the series, as a cavalcade of Marc-Andre Fleury errors for the second straight postseason planted thoughts of a buyout in some fans' minds (and gave the team a goalie battle to decide in camp between Fleury and Tomas Vokoun).

The electric duo of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin remain this team's cornerstones, but two players cannot win a Cup by themselves, and the Penguins need to ensure the right supporting cast is in place (particularly in goal) if they are to repeat the 2009 success that now seems so, so long ago.

Trending up: F Evgeni Malkin
Last season: 11.8 GVT | VUKOTA projection: 15.1

Malkin's points-per-game mark over the past five seasons, starting with the Stanley Cup year of 2008-09, read as follows: 1.38, 1.15, 0.86, 1.45, and 1.06. VUKOTA is naturally confused a tad by the Magnitogorsk native, but with a history of bounce-back seasons, our projection system likes Malkin to come back strong in 2013-14, to the tune of 1.22 points-per-game.
Bounce-back is a relative term, of course, as a "down" season for Malkin in 2013 featured 33 points in 31 games, and 16 more in 15 postseason contests. A bona fide international superstar, Geno committed to Pittsburgh long-term over the offseason, and the projections suggest he will have a campaign closer to his Hart and Art Ross year of 2011-12 than his "down" season of 2013. -- Schwepfinger

Trending down: F Chris Kunitz
Last season: 24.8 GVT | VUKOTA projection: 11.6

Kunitz is assuredly a top-line winger alongside Crosby, and a steal for Ray Shero both in what it cost to trade for him and what the team pays him annually, but expecting regular GVTs above 20 for him is foolhardy. Crosby can make anyone look good, but a spike in Kunitz's shooting percentage to 19.5 percent sticks out like a sore thumb.
Extrapolated out to 82 games, Kunitz had an 88-point season, which would have been a career high by 27 points. Even if the skater in question happens to play alongside the best player in the world, VUKOTA is never quick to buy into sudden spikes like this, and it foresees a 64-point year for the former Duck -- right in line with previous seasons he has had alongside Crosby. -- Schwepfinger

Pronman's name to know: D Brian Dumoulin
The Penguins are about to have an injection of young defensemen in the next few years with former first-round pick Olli Maatta close to NHL-ready and other top prospects like Derrick Pouliot and Scott Harrington will push themselves into the picture soon. Dumoulin is the oldest and most developed of the Pens' top D prospects and was excellent as an AHL rookie this past season. He's a big, skilled defenseman who showed he could play quality defense at the pro level. He was part of the trade that sent Jordan Staal to Carolina.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN Insider:

Summer Skate: Pittsburgh Penguins

pit.gif

Was 2009 an exception? Pittsburgh fans are surely asking themselves this question, as their beloved team faltered in the Eastern Conference finals against the Boston Bruins, scoring just two goals in a four-game sweep by Boston. Most alarmingly, offense was thought to be the only thing the Pens had going for it entering the series, as a cavalcade of Marc-Andre Fleury errors for the second straight postseason planted thoughts of a buyout in some fans' minds (and gave the team a goalie battle to decide in camp between Fleury and Tomas Vokoun).

The electric duo of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin remain this team's cornerstones, but two players cannot win a Cup by themselves, and the Penguins need to ensure the right supporting cast is in place (particularly in goal) if they are to repeat the 2009 success that now seems so, so long ago.

Trending up: F Evgeni Malkin
Last season: 11.8 GVT | VUKOTA projection: 15.1

Malkin's points-per-game mark over the past five seasons, starting with the Stanley Cup year of 2008-09, read as follows: 1.38, 1.15, 0.86, 1.45, and 1.06. VUKOTA is naturally confused a tad by the Magnitogorsk native, but with a history of bounce-back seasons, our projection system likes Malkin to come back strong in 2013-14, to the tune of 1.22 points-per-game.
Bounce-back is a relative term, of course, as a "down" season for Malkin in 2013 featured 33 points in 31 games, and 16 more in 15 postseason contests. A bona fide international superstar, Geno committed to Pittsburgh long-term over the offseason, and the projections suggest he will have a campaign closer to his Hart and Art Ross year of 2011-12 than his "down" season of 2013. -- Schwepfinger

Trending down: F Chris Kunitz
Last season: 24.8 GVT | VUKOTA projection: 11.6

Kunitz is assuredly a top-line winger alongside Crosby, and a steal for Ray Shero both in what it cost to trade for him and what the team pays him annually, but expecting regular GVTs above 20 for him is foolhardy. Crosby can make anyone look good, but a spike in Kunitz's shooting percentage to 19.5 percent sticks out like a sore thumb.
Extrapolated out to 82 games, Kunitz had an 88-point season, which would have been a career high by 27 points. Even if the skater in question happens to play alongside the best player in the world, VUKOTA is never quick to buy into sudden spikes like this, and it foresees a 64-point year for the former Duck -- right in line with previous seasons he has had alongside Crosby. -- Schwepfinger

Pronman's name to know: D Brian Dumoulin
The Penguins are about to have an injection of young defensemen in the next few years with former first-round pick Olli Maatta close to NHL-ready and other top prospects like Derrick Pouliot and Scott Harrington will push themselves into the picture soon. Dumoulin is the oldest and most developed of the Pens' top D prospects and was excellent as an AHL rookie this past season. He's a big, skilled defenseman who showed he could play quality defense at the pro level. He was part of the trade that sent Jordan Staal to Carolina.

I would love to see Dumoulin get a chance this year, but I don't see it happening unless we have a ton of injuries. If you follow the Pens you'll notice we don't have a tendency to give young guys a chance unless we absolutely have to. Even if we get injuries, we're still unlikely to go to the farm, we'll probably sign some washed up has been for a 1 year deal instead.