• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where do the Lakers go from here...?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying that from the beginning, Lakers fans dreams are outrunning their rationale.

You won't be saying that when Kawhi/Lebron/PG/Anthony Davis/CP3 raise another banner next year for the Purple and Gold!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, acted like it was somehow a diss to Ingram to say it wasn't.

Like I told him, maybe Ingram will one day develop into a player that is good enough to be considered at Kawhi's level or better.

But right now...it's not even close.

It's also no insult to not be considered as good as Kawhi anyway. Dudes a top 5 player in the league.

There are guys with multiple all star and all NBA appearances that aren't considered as good as Kawhi.

Of course Ingram isn't on Kawhi's level. However, there will also be draft picks included most likely. Whether or not that is enough to get Kawhi (doubtful, but not impossible) depends on what the other offers are. If everyone else shies away, not wanting to give up a top prospect and picks for a 1 year rental, the Spurs are left with taking an undervalued offer (all of them will be; you can't get an equal value trade for a top 3 player in his prime) or waiting until the deadline, when the offers will likely be worse. Kawhi kills the Spurs leverage and the competing offers by saying he will only re-sign with the Lakers. Until/unless that changes, this could take a while, unless someone pops up like OKC last year willing to take a chance. If George signs with the Lakers, that could scare away some offers as well, seeing that it didn't work for OKC last year, even though they made the playoffs. Of course, if he stays in OKC, that could embolden some teams to make a stronger offer as well.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't like Wagner at the time they drafted him but he's a stretch 4/5 and could be a solid player. But, he still would have been there early in the 2nd round.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course Ingram isn't on Kawhi's level. However, there will also be draft picks included most likely. Whether or not that is enough to get Kawhi (doubtful, but not impossible) depends on what the other offers are. If everyone else shies away, not wanting to give up a top prospect and picks for a 1 year rental, the Spurs are left with taking an undervalued offer (all of them will be; you can't get an equal value trade for a top 3 player in his prime) or waiting until the deadline, when the offers will likely be worse. Kawhi kills the Spurs leverage and the competing offers by saying he will only re-sign with the Lakers. Until/unless that changes, this could take a while, unless someone pops up like OKC last year willing to take a chance. If George signs with the Lakers, that could scare away some offers as well, seeing that it didn't work for OKC last year, even though they made the playoffs. Of course, if he stays in OKC, that could embolden some teams to make a stronger offer as well.

Agree. I think it's going to cost them more than just Ingram and picks though. I think we're looking at a minimum of Ingram, Kuzma, picks and maybe one of the guys they drafted last night. All 3 are Euros and the Spurs love their Euros. Wagner seems like a perfect fit for the Spurs. So does Mykhailiuk

If I'm the Lakers, if/when I get a chance, I'm throwing my best offer out there.

That's not normally how you do it. But the Lakers will be dealing with a team that doesn't want to deal with them anyway. No point in taking a chance at pissing them off with some lowball offer and have the Spurs decide not to deal with them over it.

Reactions: DJ

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things can change when teams make offers that are low balling the, because they think he'll be a 1 year rental if he truly wants to be in Los Angeles.

I highly doubt it man. I thought if LA offered them something they couldn’t refuse they could get him but they probably wont trade him at all, if they do it’s to the East

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. I think it's going to cost them more than just Ingram and picks though. I think we're looking at a minimum of Ingram, Kuzma, picks and maybe one of the guys they drafted last night. All 3 are Euros and the Spurs love their Euros. Wagner seems like a perfect fit for the Spurs. So does Mykhailiuk

If I'm the Lakers, if/when I get a chance, I'm throwing my best offer out there.

That's not normally how you do it. But the Lakers will be dealing with a team that doesn't want to deal with them anyway. No point in taking a chance at pissing them off with some lowball offer and have the Spurs decide not to deal with them over it.

A week or so from now it should start to get interesting.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt it man. I thought if LA offered them something they couldn’t refuse they could get him but they probably wont trade him at all, if they do it’s to the East

I think people are making way too much out of what Ramona Shelburne said.

Based on the timeline, it looks like the Lakers contacted the Spurs before Pop met with Kawhi. So, of course they shut the door on them. They would have shut the door on anyone.

Now that Kawhi apparently told them he still wants out, I think things will change and the Spurs will now at listen to a Lakers offer. Especially if Kawhi keeps saying he won't re-sign anywhere but LA.

Btw, there's a chance that re-signing in LA could mean the Clippers. Most seem to think The Logo has something up his sleeve.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, what you're saying is that the Spurs are petty and stupid?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter what Kawhi has been demanding, Popovich and the Spurs so hate the Lakers that the Spurs are going to do everything possible to make it difficult for the Lakers to obtain Leonard, I believe. This includes demanding as many assets as possible to cripple the Lakers. I think the Lakers should move along from this scenario because Magic really doesn't want to trade his young stars-in-the-making especially Kuzma who he personally drafted. That Leonard trade ship has sailed for now.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what you're saying is that the Spurs are petty and stupid?

No it means that they think the Lakers offer isnt much better than others or they end up just keeping him. They dont want Lonzo, that leaves Ingram and Kuzma. Others can offer just as much or close to that. The goal is to keep him at this point

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt it’s at the deadline. No reason to trade for him

There is to fit his salary under the cap (and for the other team to get something for him while they can). Actually makes sense for both teams (especially if the Lakers already have George/Lebron).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it means that they think the Lakers offer isnt much better than others or they end up just keeping him. They dont want Lonzo, that leaves Ingram and Tatum. Others can offer just as much or close to that. The goal is to keep him at this point

Others can, but will they for a likely rental? It's the Paul George situation all over again. If Paul stays in OKC, that may embolden other teams a bit, but really doesn't mean much, as they are two very different people.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is to fit his salary under the cap (and for the other team to get something for him while they can). Actually makes sense for both teams (especially if the Lakers already have George/Lebron).

It makes sense but I just dont see it ever happening. No way he wants to start over with a new team halfway through a season and the Cavs would not do that unless Lebron told him he wanted to be traded