• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where do the Lakers go from here...?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit - they all negotiate

When you are talking about players at Kawhi's level, it's a negotiation only in the most technical of terms. Both sides know that the team is going to pay whatever the player says they want up to the max allowable.

Kobe's last contract "negotiation" went how virtually all of these types go:

The Lakers offered Kobe a 2 year max deal.

Kobe asked "Will we have enough to bring in another top guy?"

The Lakers said "Yes"

Kobe said "Sounds good"

The Lakers said "Sign here"

Negotiation over.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you are talking about players at Kawhi's level, it's a negotiation only in the most technical of terms. Both sides know that the team is going to pay whatever the player says they want up to the max allowable.

Kobe's last contract "negotiation" went how virtually all of these types go:

The Lakers offered Kobe a 2 year max deal.

Kobe asked "Will we have enough to bring in another top guy?"

The Lakers said "Yes"

Kobe said "Sounds good"

The Lakers said "Sign here"

Negotiation over.

Yep.

The only way Kawhi takes less than max is if it is willful choice by him.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp.....

Just ignore all that Shit I said about Pop taking the best deal, even if it's from the Lakers....lol

Not necessarily.

That contact was made before Pop met with Kawhi. The reports since that happened have been that they would deal with the Lakers if the Lakers have the best offer.

Having said that, even if the Lakers have the best offer, I'm not sure the Spurs take it. Not because it's the Lakers or it wouldn't be a good offer, but because it's not the only option.

Unless the Spurs just decide they want the drama to just be over (which I could see them doing) they can wait until the trade deadline to deal him.

If they do that, they could force the Lakers into having to decide whether they want to sign both Lebron and PG or try signing one of them and waiting for Kawhi.

If they sign both Lebron and PG they will have stretched Deng, effectively freezing them out of the Kawhi sweepstakes because they won't be able to get far enough under the cap.

Of course the downside to that is they get Kawhi drama until the trade deadline and unless some team is desperate enough to take a flyer on him, they could end up being faced with having to take a worse offer or see him walk for nothing.

But the upside is they can possibly get a bigger haul from a desperate team.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit - they all negotiate

It is amazing you can spend so much time on these boards and still be so clueless.

It is a matter of leverage and Kawhi has it all in free agency.

He can say whatever he wants. But if the Lakers lowball him and he isn't okay with it, there will be at least 25 other teams ready to step up and offer max money. The Lakers know this, as does Kawhi. If he wants max money he will get it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is amazing you can spend so much time on these boards and still be so clueless.

It is a matter of leverage and Kawhi has it all in free agency.

He can say whatever he wants. But if the Lakers lowball him and he isn't okay with it, there will be at least 25 other teams ready to step up and offer max money. The Lakers know this, as does Kawhi. If he wants max money he will get it.

Exactly.

That negotiation would be very similar to the one with Kobe.

Lakers: Here's a max deal. You can take it, but if you take a little less, we can add a couple of guys.

Kawhi: We still got Bron and PG?

Lakers: Yes.

Kawhi: I think we'll be fine. I want the max.

Lakers: Sign here.

Negotiation over.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm waiting for a Lakers fan, most likely on twitter, that will say Pops beg the Lakers to take Leonard off their hands for Kuzma, but the Lakers declined because they didn't want to put the kid in a bad situation.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm waiting for a Lakers fan, most likely on twitter, that will say Pops beg the Lakers to take Leonard off their hands for Kuzma, but the Lakers declined because they didn't want to put the kid in a bad situation.

Shit. We already had one of my fellow Lakers fans on here try to say Ingram for Kawhi was enough. :L

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed that :pound:

Oh yeah, acted like it was somehow a diss to Ingram to say it wasn't.

Like I told him, maybe Ingram will one day develop into a player that is good enough to be considered at Kawhi's level or better.

But right now...it's not even close.

It's also no insult to not be considered as good as Kawhi anyway. Dudes a top 5 player in the league.

There are guys with multiple all star and all NBA appearances that aren't considered as good as Kawhi.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Spurs would be dumb not to at least threaten other teams with the possibility of trading with the Lakers, even if there's not a realistic possibility. The Lakers are willing to give up the most because they're Kawhi's preferred destination. The idea for the Spurs is to get a franchise other than the Lakers to offer up something resembling equal value, while the idea for the Lakers is to keep the lowball offers coming in from other teams in order to force the Spurs to panic, thus the report where the Clippers and Lakers are questioning Kawhi's health knowing damn well they would both love to have him.

It's essentially a game of chicken. Will other franchises flinch first and offer up a deal similar to what the Lakers are willing to give? Or will the Spurs flinch and either take the deal with LA or get fleeced by another team?

Reactions: DJ

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Spurs would be dumb not to at least threaten other teams with the possibility of trading with the Lakers, even if there's not a realistic possibility. The Lakers are willing to give up the most because they're Kawhi's preferred destination. The idea for the Spurs is to get a franchise other than the Lakers to offer up something resembling equal value, while the idea for the Lakers is to keep the lowball offers coming in from other teams in order to force the Spurs to panic, thus the report where the Clippers and Lakers are questioning Kawhi's health knowing damn well they would both love to have him.

It's essentially a game of chicken. Will other franchises flinch first and offer up a deal similar to what the Lakers are willing to give? Or will the Spurs flinch and either take the deal with LA or get fleeced by another team?

Exactly right.

If the Spurs start ruling out options this early, they lose their best chance to generate some leverage.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Leonard really wants to go to the Lakers, they should just wait and get him without giving up anything.

They keep their young players and get to ensure Leonard is fully healed by playing a full season before signing him.

No reason for the Lakers to jump the gun. That is something little Buss would do. If this FO does something stupid like that, it will be no different than the previous one they are still trying to recover from

They can sign James and PG.....only way to add a 3rd star is to trade for Leonard.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They improved their win total over last year and went 24-20 over the last 44 games of the season. They may have played well enough to be attractive to some top FA's and even if they don't get them, the fact that they are being discussed as seriously as they are speaks to what many think of what they've done.

So yes, I'd say they've drafted pretty well.

Plus, we easily could have won 42-43 games if Ball and Ingram hadn't missed a combined 60-plus games.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily.

That contact was made before Pop met with Kawhi. The reports since that happened have been that they would deal with the Lakers if the Lakers have the best offer.

Having said that, even if the Lakers have the best offer, I'm not sure the Spurs take it. Not because it's the Lakers or it wouldn't be a good offer, but because it's not the only option.

Unless the Spurs just decide they want the drama to just be over (which I could see them doing) they can wait until the trade deadline to deal him.

If they do that, they could force the Lakers into having to decide whether they want to sign both Lebron and PG or try signing one of them and waiting for Kawhi.

If they sign both Lebron and PG they will have stretched Deng, effectively freezing them out of the Kawhi sweepstakes because they won't be able to get far enough under the cap.

Of course the downside to that is they get Kawhi drama until the trade deadline and unless some team is desperate enough to take a flyer on him, they could end up being faced with having to take a worse offer or see him walk for nothing.

But the upside is they can possibly get a bigger haul from a desperate team.

Fuckin ninja'd.