• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where do the Lakers go from here...?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just go to espn.com. They have an article up about it right now. Sources: Lakers warn staff about tampering ahead of free agency.

Right, an article about how the Lakers AREN'T saying those players are coming to LA. That is supposed to prove your point?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, an article about how the Lakers AREN'T saying those players are coming to LA. That is supposed to prove your point?

I'm not trying to make any point. @Battlelyon mentioned an article about Lakers tampering. You asked for a link. I mentioned an article on the same topic from a different site.

:crazy:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to make any point. @Battlelyon mentioned an article about Lakers tampering. You asked for a link. I mentioned an article on the same topic from a different site.

Battleyon also said "isn't Magic out there telling everyone that PG and Lebron are coming to the Lakers."

Pretty sure that's the link he was asking for.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's an article about the Lakers NOT tampering. Magic got his hand slapped last summer for talking up Paul George's abilities. Not that he was coming to LA, not that Lebron was coming, etc.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an article about the Lakers NOT tampering. Magic got his hand slapped last summer for talking up Paul George's abilities. Not that he was coming to LA, not that Lebron was coming, etc.

My bad there. That's what I get for not reading the article. Sometimes I shouldn't be in such a hurry. Just going by the title I thought it was about something else.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Battleyon also said "isn't Magic out there telling everyone that PG and Lebron are coming to the Lakers."

Yeah I got it mixed up. Like I told shopson67 my bad.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the rumors I've been hearing

Where? Haven't seen or heard a thing since Magic got fined from his appearance on Kimmel. That was months ago.

The only thing I've seen reported is that they held an organizational meeting to specifically warn everyone to be very careful so they don't even accidentally say something that could be construed as tampering.

Smart move, imo. Considering they've been warned and fined, the league will likely be paying very close attention to what Lakers representatives say. Another tampering charge could result in them not being allowed to negotiate with that player.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The ESPN article does mention the 2 previous tampering violations by the Lakers.

I think Jeannie only wanted to send the letter to Magic but felt it couldn't hurt sending it to everyone else as well.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ESPN article does mention the 2 previous tampering violations by the Lakers.

I think Jeannie only wanted to send the letter to Magic but felt it couldn't hurt sending it to everyone else as well.

Those tampering violations were crap. One of them all Magic did was call George a great player when asked on a late night show.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those tampering violations were crap. One of them all Magic did was call George a great player when asked on a late night show.

Actually the one fine was for praising Giannis and it came after the league warned Magic about that sort of thing. Minor to be sure but also something that a GM should be mindful of, which is probably why you don't see GMs on late night TV much.

The 1st fine was pretty clear cut. Pelinka contacted George's agent.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the one fine was for praising Giannis and it came after the league warned Magic about that sort of thing. Minor to be sure but also something that a GM should be mindful of, which is probably why you don't see GMs on late night TV much.

The 1st fine was pretty clear cut. Pelinka contacted George's agent.

That's right, Giannis not George.

As far as Pelinka's goof, according to the league, “the investigation did not reveal evidence of an agreement or understanding that the Lakers would sign or acquire Mr. George." That shit happens ALL the time.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but if you're a player with an intended destination in mind - The first thing is negotiating a price is to not show your hand - it's one thing to screw the Spurs, but it's another to let the Lakers or any other team know that you intend to sign with a certain team no matter what - then you get offered less money and your value drops and if you suddenly change your mind about signing with the Lakers - No question he will get offers, but all of them could drop - It's just not a smart thing to do and while I agree that's what he might be doing - I also think the chances are greater that like most of the time, there are a lot of unsubstantiated rumors flying around. I therefore remain cautiously happy

Wrong.

There is absolutely nothing to negotiate. Kawhi is a max player. He is actually worth significantly more than the max the Lakers are allowed to pay him. This is completely unlike any other sport or even any other industry I can think of. His contract amount is essentially predetermined.

Negotiations only matter for non-max players.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's right, Giannis not George.

As far as Pelinka's goof, according to the league, “the investigation did not reveal evidence of an agreement or understanding that the Lakers would sign or acquire Mr. George." That shit happens ALL the time.

Maybe but when you get caught you get punished for it.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong.

There is absolutely nothing to negotiate. Kawhi is a max player. He is actually worth significantly more than the max the Lakers are allowed to pay him. This is completely unlike any other sport or even any other industry I can think of. His contract amount is essentially predetermined.

Negotiations only matter for non-max players.
Bullshit - they all negotiate