• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When should the axe fall?

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a given at this point. Mike will be seeking other pastures......but when should the harvest commence?

If we nip him in the bud right now, we might get better and we might get worse. The Venables Snakebite syndrome is still in place, so you know the uppity-ups are trying to gauge how upset and stingy they should be with their monies because we KNOW it can get worse or not progress at all. Would his departure (Kish may be in his back pocket on the way out the door) impact recruiting in a negative way?

OR

If we ride or die with him to the end, we just deal with how the cow patty flips? Are we willing to risk the laying of other eggs potentially souring many prized recruits with eyes on Norman? Would they be less willing to come here knowing who is in place? Elite DBs coming to the Big XII already have knowledge of the escalation of offensive output here....would they risk coming here and not getting to shine in a shitty defensive scheme?

Tough decisions to be made. It's not fair to Mike and his family and that part of it I really hate for anyone. But business is business, and sometimes shit gets ugly.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo it all depends on how it affects recruiting. Coaches should be able to gauge the temperature of the recruits in that regard. Pisses me off to no end to know Proctor was at the game yesterday. Either way, you yank his fucking playcalling duties right the fuck now.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lincoln needs to pull the trigger right now if he's any kind of head coach at all.
It will send the right kind of message to the defensive staff, the players and recruits.

Being a pussy and putting up with it isn't going to accomplish anything. Unless Lincoln agreed to keeping him on thru this year when he got the head coaching job or something, I'd do it now. However, we will never know if that kind of agreement was made or not, so it's hard to gauge.

As for recruits, it will only help. They see what the fuck is going on. The style of play in the Big XII and at Oklahoma only serves for great defensive players to go somewhere else outside of the Conference. I don't see that changing under Riley, but there are defenses that don't continuously give up 40 points a game year in and year out.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a given at this point. Mike will be seeking other pastures......but when should the harvest commence?

If we nip him in the bud right now, we might get better and we might get worse. The Venables Snakebite syndrome is still in place, so you know the uppity-ups are trying to gauge how upset and stingy they should be with their monies because we KNOW it can get worse or not progress at all. Would his departure (Kish may be in his back pocket on the way out the door) impact recruiting in a negative way?

OR

If we ride or die with him to the end, we just deal with how the cow patty flips? Are we willing to risk the laying of other eggs potentially souring many prized recruits with eyes on Norman? Would they be less willing to come here knowing who is in place? Elite DBs coming to the Big XII already have knowledge of the escalation of offensive output here....would they risk coming here and not getting to shine in a shitty defensive scheme?

Tough decisions to be made. It's not fair to Mike and his family and that part of it I really hate for anyone. But business is business, and sometimes shit gets ugly.

If you knew him you wouldn't be feeling sorry for him. Google "Peter Principle" and you will understand what I mean plus add a crappy personality. The fault lies with Brother Bob. Bob should have taken Mike out with him but Bob's set for life financially and Mike isn't so..................it didn't happen. But we could have the greatest DC on the planet and we'd still have problems. The talent level has been deficient at OU for years. Mike has to go but the harder thing to fix is the recruiting. We're in a crappy conference with a program that's been under performing for a long, long time which hurts us a lot. But we have the facilities and the prestige so we can get back up on top with the right moves. Just a shame Mike wasn't fired 4 years ago. It's killing us now. The offense can't be asked to score at least 40 points every game so we have a chance to win.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DEVIL'S ADVOCATE:
Well....we had a similar issue last season and I don't know how he did it, but we consistently owned teams after the Tech game.

I know the "We're Oklahoma and we're never supposed to lose" mentality and I myself have been guilty of it.

Just like when Venables said FUCK YALL, we have seen that things can get worse. Look at texico for a real good example of how things can fly off the rails when decisions are made...sometimes there could be a regret factor waiting to fuck you up.

I agree that OUR defense should NEVER give up, and it seems like they have over the last two games. I too want to return to those hard-hitting, fast and "nasty pack of wild dogs with their hair on fire" defenses but it ain't easy gents. When is the last time you've seen Blackshirts?

Our conference is an arms race, and we're keeping pace...if barely. It could be worse.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some things you just don't do:

* Do not lick a leper's face.
* Do not roll in vomit.
* Do not use bedpans for candy dishes.
* Do not stick an infected fruit bat up your ass.
* Do not expect things to ever get better with Mike Stoops.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting factoid on the Morning Animal today...

Since his return, Mike Stoops' defenses have given up an average of 30 pts per game in Big XII play.

30 GODDAMNED POINTS PER MOTHERFUCKING GAME PEOPLE.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we can do better than Mike Stoops.
However, remember when Brent Venables was getting torched a couple of times a year and everyone including me wanted him gone, and then he moved to the ACC and became a superstar??? And that was back when the Big XII wasn't even fully developed as it is now in the passing attacks.

I hear, and fully believe that really good Defensive players avoid the Big XII when given alternatives because of the style of play here, the number of snaps per game, the way we play it here. I don't think that relieves us of the responsibility of going after better players. It can be done.

Lets face it. Bob took a 5 year paid vacation after the 2008 season. Recruiting fell off gradually on both sides of the ball, pressure on assistants fell off, game planning fell off, and just a feeling of apathy feel on the program. Bob put the program on auto pilot. Fiinaly Bob did something about it when he fired the dead weight on offense and brought in Bedenbaugh and then Lincoln Riley to do something about it. He didn't do that with the Defense. One side of the ball has improved, and the other side of the ball got worse.

Riley will need to do something about the Defense, however, I'm not expecting it until the off season.

Jim Trabor on the sports animal seems to think that Mike Stoops should probably be thinking to himself that he probably needs to get out of this conference and would be productive somewhere else like the SEC ACC or BIG. I happen to agree with that.

There has to be a new face on Defense somewhere in this country that can get the job done.
If Riley doesn't pull the trigger this off season, I have little hope he will make it.

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike needs to go and he can take toast Thomas with him. Our Def is truly awful. Stoops just refuse to rush no more than 4 most of the time. Therefore opposing QB have plenty of time to pick apart our secondary. On 3rd and short he has the CB's giving a lot of space and vice versa on long distance downs and this BS happens every wk. Here's one of the many poor def strategies in the OSU game this past weekend. In the final seconds OSU had a 4th and 12 and they converted with ease. Our def cannot drop back and keep everything in front of them then go tackle the ball carrier short of the first down marker. This BS is pathetic. Guys if we are going to be in the college bowl playoffs yr end and yr out, we all know what needs to be improved. The first step is giving Mike his walking papers.