• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What is the ingredient that allows OU to dominate the BIGXII?

Bawlz Deep

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it coaching? Is it the family atmosphere you hear recruits speak about on visits? Is it the OUDNA that players have in them?

Whatever it is, can OU find a way to spread those winning ways and dominate the CFP?

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

Heh...it's a little of all of that. BS was able to stay a step ahead of everyone somehow, I'm not sure how.

The brain drain OU experienced from 2000 until 2010 was phenomenal...so many coaches gone in that timeframe yet they still found ways to win.

The family atmosphere has to play a part. When every recruit that comes in can meet Joe Washington, Ted Lehman, Jamiel Holieway, Roy Williams, Ryan Broyles, etc.,that leaves a lasting impression. They know that after their career is over that the community of Norman will be there to accept them and support them. Heck, that's Oklahoma overall isn't it?

I've always said that I'd take a team of walk-ons and 3 stars that have always dreamed of wearing the Crimson and Cream over a team of primadonnas that are just looking ahead to the next step. Those dreamers will be more invested in the team and the school...you won't have to doubt their commitment to excellence.

As far as dominating CFP in general...heck, I scratch my head a lot and think about why we aren't. You can blame the media pumping up the Southeastern schools or not giving the Big XII equal coverage and attention, forming that narrative. You can blame the coaches here for failing to identify and pursue the right talent. You can blame 7 on 7. You can blame a lot of things and people but at the end of the day, you either do the thing or you don't.

Lincoln Riley seems like the kind of guy that does the thing.

I may be wrong, but he seems a little more determined to come out on the right side of things than BS was in general.

I hope I'm right.

@The Derski join the convo bud...share what tickled you?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

Heh...it's a little of all of that. BS was able to stay a step ahead of everyone somehow, I'm not sure how.

The brain drain OU experienced from 2000 until 2010 was phenomenal...so many coaches gone in that timeframe yet they still found ways to win.

The family atmosphere has to play a part. When every recruit that comes in can meet Joe Washington, Ted Lehman, Jamiel Holieway, Roy Williams, Ryan Broyles, etc.,that leaves a lasting impression. They know that after their career is over that the community of Norman will be there to accept them and support them. Heck, that's Oklahoma overall isn't it?

I've always said that I'd take a team of walk-ons and 3 stars that have always dreamed of wearing the Crimson and Cream over a team of primadonnas that are just looking ahead to the next step. Those dreamers will be more invested in the team and the school...you won't have to doubt their commitment to excellence.

As far as dominating CFP in general...heck, I scratch my head a lot and think about why we aren't. You can blame the media pumping up the Southeastern schools or not giving the Big XII equal coverage and attention, forming that narrative. You can blame the coaches here for failing to identify and pursue the right talent. You can blame 7 on 7. You can blame a lot of things and people but at the end of the day, you either do the thing or you don't.

Lincoln Riley seems like the kind of guy that does the thing.

I may be wrong, but he seems a little more determined to come out on the right side of things than BS was in general.

I hope I'm right.

@The Derski join the convo bud...share what tickled you?
I think it was just the family atmosphere part. Every recruit that commits anywhere credits the family atmosphere. I don’t think OU has any better or worse “family atmosphere” than most places. And of course other than probably Texas they are going to consistently get better recruits than the rest of the conference. Basically isn’t OU doing what they’re expected to do?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s face it. The big 12 isn’t that strong. There’s OU and some pretty good teams that can’t recruit as well as even middling teams in the Big10 and SEC. its not their fault. They’re just not in a talent rich part of the country and those that are certainly aren’t the flagship program in Texas. It’s really not that hard to dominate this conference with Texas being down if you can light up the score board when you consider our resources and recruiting comparatively. Now what’s it going to take to do the same in the CFP? Recruiting and coaching. Riley seems hell bent on fixing both where bob settled for “better than most”.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was just the family atmosphere part. Every recruit that commits anywhere credits the family atmosphere. I don’t think OU has any better or worse “family atmosphere” than most places. And of course other than probably Texas they are going to consistently get better recruits than the rest of the conference. Basically isn’t OU doing what they’re expected to do?
Its just different here...

...you ever have a 3 minute chat with Barry Switzer on your way to your car from the game?

...you ever rub against Sherri Coale accidentally while in line for a beer at an OU football game and discover how delicious she smells?

...?

Its different here.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...right this second I'm going to have to pin this down to one thing...

CHARACTER

Put LR up against Tom Herman. :dhd: No contest there...

Heck, put him up against virtually any other coach in Div 1. The dude is real. He's homespun but not hokey. He's humble but very confident. He wears his feels on his sleeve. Very passionate. He's got that football mind, but he isn't cold.

I think he has a way to get the best out of the people and students around him that very few coaches or LEADERS can. I think his unique characteristics allow him the ability to identify character as well.

Bob Stoops may go down as the greatest OU coach of all time...but not because of his successes on the field...but because of his selfless actions in guaranteeing that Lincoln Riley stayed in Norman, OK.

We're so fucking lucky....

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it coaching? Is it the family atmosphere you hear recruits speak about on visits? Is it the OUDNA that players have in them?

Whatever it is, can OU find a way to spread those winning ways and dominate the CFP?

could be the lack of competition?
not trying to troll

baylor - dead from the sex shit
UT - clusterfuck
WVU - good but will never be good enough
TCU - same as WVU

not trying to troll but really.

Bawlz Deep

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could be the lack of competition?
not trying to troll

baylor - dead from the sex shit
UT - clusterfuck
WVU - good but will never be good enough
TCU - same as WVU

not trying to troll but really.

Have all those things be happening for 20 years?