• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are your expectations for this team?

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the fact that 17 players from the Stanley Cup team are still here and the fact that the Kings made it to the WCF, expect nothing less than a Stanley Cup appearance.
My expectations are that the Kings should a will hoist the cup again this season.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All depends on Kopitar and a healthy team for me. If he returns to 2012 form and the team keeps relatively healthy, Kings will be in the running for a chance to win it. Kopitar was all but unstoppable in 2012 but in 2013 I would have put money on him being hurt (and was pretty surprised when they said he wasn't). Not just for the lack of scoring but for everything from losing crucial faceoffs to skating slow.

The guy is too good and takes too much cap to disappear for 3 Playoff Series in a row. But on that note, losing Stoll for all but one game against SJ, and losing Richards for the majority of the Chicago series were huge blows to the team. Also, no Mitchell meant Muzzin for that Playoff run, so that is a big difference from 2012 too. Hopefully that experience really helps him going forward.

For Quick, I see no reason to drop off, and he has had one full year since surgery, so barring fatigue from the Olympics, he should really be on it this year.

At the end of the day, I am just grateful that they won a cup and have a serious chance to compete for more in the coming years. But yea, new division (My biased opinion says the toughest division) will throw a wrench into things and Kings need to make sure that they don't sleep on assuming that they are a lock to make the Playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect no less than WCF games. I hope for a Stanley cup. They have the ability to win it all but it is a long season and they have no backup goalie

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see no reason to not win the cup again.

Anything less than WCF though would be a bad season imo (barring injuries)

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been cheering for the Kings long enough to never expect anything. Just be thankful for whatever success they can achieve. Of course I always hope for the best, a Stanley Cup Championship, and I am disappointed if they don't get that but I can never be unhappy with whatever do.

Ox

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect the playoffs, of course I would love for them to hoist the cup again but anything can happen in the playoffs and I just want them to earn that spot for a shot.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they have to think about home ice in the playoffs and forget thinking they can repeat 2012 road wins. If they secure home ice there is no reason why they shouldn't be WCC.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking a WCF appearance should be a minimum with the roster mainly intact from 2012, as well as getting Mitchell back and having Regehr in for a full training camp.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TSN Rankings

This Week #3 - Los Angeles Kings 0-0-0

There's a lot of continuity with the 2012 champs too. A healthy Willie Mitchell on defence gives the Kings virtually too much depth and newcomer Matt Frattin has a chance to play in a scoring role, though if he can't hold a top six spot, Tyler Toffoli or Linden Vey can be summoned to fill the void.
Key Injuries: None.

ouendan1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN "experts" released their predictions, 7 of the 12 have LA going to the Cup Finals, with 6 of those 7 predicting they would win it all, so there's that.

WCF is my expectation. Having Greene back is going to be big, if Mitchell is able to stay healthy he's going to be even bigger. I'm curious to see what a full training camp under Sutter actually does for this team. We shall find out!

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the fact that 17 players from the Stanley Cup team are still here and the fact that the Kings made it to the WCF, expect nothing less than a Stanley Cup appearance.
My expectations are that the Kings should a will hoist the cup again this season.

Isnt winning the cup every teams expectations. Also as long as the Blues dont win Im good with whoever.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isnt winning the cup every teams expectations. Also as long as the Blues dont win Im good with whoever.

Real expectation or pipe dream?

I think the Blues will be very good this year.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real expectation or pipe dream?

I think the Blues will be very good this year.

Blues still lack some high end forwards. I don't think adding guys like Lapierre, Morrow, Pajaarvi or Roy really addresses those needs. Roy is essentially a replacement for MacDonald, who finally retired due to the concussions (Andy McDonald of St. Louis Blues announces retirement - ESPN).

No forward on their roster is as good as any of the Kings' T3 for example of Kopitar, Brown or Williams consistently. They are still operating on the "team scoring" model, which as we Kings fans know didn't work out ever when Leiweke and Co. avoided higher salary guys by going down that route with the Heinze type players.

Until they spend some money on some true T3 forwards, they will be a team that plays tight and hopes to pounce when a chance presents itself. That isn't a contender in my opinion. Their goaltending and team defense is solid, but that will only take you so far. They need a game breaker and they don't have one.

I also think extending Bouwmeester to a 5 year/$27 million deal was an awful idea, this money should have went towards upgrading their forward corps.

Last edited by a moderator:

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blues still lack some high end forwards. I don't think adding guys like Lapierre, Morrow, Pajaarvi or Roy really addresses those needs. Roy is essentially a replacement for MacDonald, who finally retired due to the concussions (Andy McDonald of St. Louis Blues announces retirement - ESPN).

No forward on their roster is as good as any of the Kings' T3 for example of Kopitar, Brown or Williams consistently. They are still operating on the "team scoring" model, which as we Kings fans know didn't work out ever when Leiweke and Co. avoided higher salary guys by going down that route with the Heinze type players.

Until they spend some money on some true T3 forwards, they will be a team that plays tight and hopes to pounce when a chance presents itself. That isn't a contender in my opinion. Their goaltending and team defense is solid, but that will only take you so far. They need a game breaker and they don't have one.

I also think extending Bouwmeester to a 5 year/$27 million deal was an awful idea, this money should have went towards upgrading their forward corps.

They signed Petrangelo to a 7 year contract a few weeks ago.... Blues will be good but they are terrible winners when it comes to baseball I dont want to hear how they finally won in hockey until next season.... But I agree they play defense first and lack true scorers. Who knows though once you make the Playoffs Kings were an 8 two years ago and 5 last year. Blues do play in a weak division only Blackhawks will challenge them.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They signed Petrangelo to a 7 year contract a few weeks ago.... Blues will be good but they are terrible winners when it comes to baseball I dont want to hear how they finally won in hockey until next season....

I'm not a baseball fan so I don't know much about how their fans reacted to both the Cardinals and Rams championship wins, but I hear all kinds of stuff about how ungracious winners they are.

The last two years leading up to the playoff series' between them, perusing the boards, some of these fans were beyond myopic or delusional. It was pretty funny actually.

But I agree they play defense first and lack true scorers. Who knows though once you make the Playoffs Kings were an 8 two years ago and 5 last year. Blues do play in a weak division only Blackhawks will challenge them.

Defense wins championships, but it doesn't matter if you don't have a guy who can get one at the other end. The lack of scoring from the Blues really hurt them the last few years, which is why I was surprised they went for band aids like Morrow etc rather than hang their hat on a proven sniper. The money for Bouwmeester should have went towards that instead of taking a chance on a young, talented but inexpensive player like Paajaarvi (or however you spell it) for example who hasn't turned into the offensive dynamo he was pegged to be.

I see what you're saying about the Kings, but while most people just look at the 8th seed (Kings 2012) they don't know the true story behind it. The Kings also only ended up 3 points out of 3rd (I believe), the Pacific was unbelievably tough that season.

Up until January 2012, the Kings couldn't buy a goal if their life depended on it. When the trade for Carter happened, it not only added a bonafide threat it balanced the lines out the way they should be. The Kings averaged 3.00+ GPG from about February on, but they were so bad from October to January all that did was bump up the already pathetic average to barely above pathetic average.

Dwight King was no longer a second line player, and Jarret Stoll no longer was a second line center (when Richards was acquired). Players were slotted exactly where they should be instead of playing over their heads hoping for some puck luck instead of having skilled guys going out there and simply doing it.

So while I agree that "just get in" should be the goal, a team has to have the tools to make something happen when they do. I don't see that with the Blues until they shift some of those dollars on defense to forward upgrade.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a baseball fan so I don't know much about how their fans reacted to both the Cardinals and Rams championship wins, but I hear all kinds of stuff about how ungracious winners they are.

The last two years leading up to the playoff series' between them, perusing the boards, some of these fans were beyond myopic or delusional. It was pretty funny actually.

Oh god you have no idea. I mean I know we can all be homers but I swear St. Louis fans take it to a whole new level. I guess just because they got screwed over once in the 82 WS they think every call that goes against them is wrong. It was terrible the last two years against the Kings because the Kings have a way of trying to agitate you until you take a penalty. So it was the whole series ohh they are so dirty we should have won. I cant stand watching sports with my roommates anymore cause the Blinders go on and there is no common sense used. He actually said the only reason the Blues lose is cause they beat themselves.

St. Louis has such an inferiority complex its sad even something they are good at like Baseball they have to make up reasons like ohh Bud Selig hates us because we beat him Brewers once in a WS in the 80s. Yeah Im sure he hold a grudge for 30 years over losing a WS.

Defense wins championships, but it doesn't matter if you don't have a guy who can get one at the other end. The lack of scoring from the Blues really hurt them the last few years, which is why I was surprised they went for band aids like Morrow etc rather than hang their hat on a proven sniper. The money for Bouwmeester should have went towards that instead of taking a chance on a young, talented but inexpensive player like Paajaarvi (or however you spell it) for example who hasn't turned into the offensive dynamo he was pegged to be.

I see what you're saying about the Kings, but while most people just look at the 8th seed (Kings 2012) they don't know the true story behind it. The Kings also only ended up 3 points out of 3rd (I believe), the Pacific was unbelievably tough that season.

Up until January 2012, the Kings couldn't buy a goal if their life depended on it. When the trade for Carter happened, it not only added a bonafide threat it balanced the lines out the way they should be. The Kings averaged 3.00+ GPG from about February on, but they were so bad from October to January all that did was bump up the already pathetic average to barely above pathetic average.

Dwight King was no longer a second line player, and Jarret Stoll no longer was a second line center (when Richards was acquired). Players were slotted exactly where they should be instead of playing over their heads hoping for some puck luck instead of having skilled guys going out there and simply doing it.

So while I agree that "just get in" should be the goal, a team has to have the tools to make something happen when they do. I don't see that with the Blues until they shift some of those dollars on defense to forward upgrade.

Oh I agree they need a sniper but if Shwartz and Terasanko? start scoring like they think they can then they might be dangerous. Also if they are going to win a cup they need to before these guys start becoming FA. But last year might have been a little different if the Blues could have hit the open net instead of posts on open nets.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hate the Blues and all they did was add dickhead Lapierre (but at least got rid of Perron). I used to really hate Vancouver, but since they have been humbled the past few years, they have fallen to second on my list (Though I still don't like them). The Blues though, they still get way too much credit and are way too confident for their own good. One Playoff series win the past decade somehow makes them a contender. This year will be a good test though, as they have no chance of playing LA until Round 3, if at at all. So, if by chance they are truly good and just can't beat LA, this will be their year to prove it.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a chance the Kings and Blues face each other as early as round 1.
One way is if the Kings finish 5th and 5 Pacific teams make the playoffs. If the Blue have the best record in the West then Kings vs Blues. There are other ways but all involve 5 teams from one conf making the playoff

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a chance the Kings and Blues face each other as early as round 1.
One way is if the Kings finish 5th and 5 Pacific teams make the playoffs. If the Blue have the best record in the West then Kings vs Blues. There are other ways but all involve 5 teams from one conf making the playoff
My bad, you're right. One of them will need to be a one seed and the other will need to be the Wild Card.

Not too likely, but definitely could happen.