• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 8 @ Mizzoura

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to start this write up off with two questions I asked myself last week before Idaho collapsed yet again in the second half of a Sun Belt conference game.

1. How big of a halftime lead would Idaho need in a football game for you to feel absolutely comfortable that they would win?

2. How big of a fourth quarter lead would Idaho need in a football game for you to feel absolutely comfortable that they would win?

I don't have an exact answer to either question, but I know the number would be greater than the age of the average BYU senior.

This is now the second time this year Idaho has gone into the fourth quarter with a two score lead and lost. In both cases (WMU and Appy State) Idaho failed to score a single point in the final period while also giving up three scores to the opposition.

Something's fucky here. The play calling, the inability to keep your foot on the gas pedal, the defensive breakdowns, etc. I don't know where it's coming from and after avoiding these kinds of fuck ups last year I didn't think we'd see a 2015 NMSU or USA type collapse again. But the curse, a.k.a. the Vandal Factor is back.

Shit anybody, who has watched this team this year knew last week's game was over the second App St. scored their first points. You could see the momentum swing just like you could see it when Matt threw a pick in the early fourth quarter against WMU when Idaho was up 9. This team just doesn't have the killer instinct.

There are a bunch of factors you could look at to explain Idaho's obvious regression but the biggest has to be turnovers. Sketchy O-line play (especially at tackle), a lack of consistent WR play, and poor QB awareness are others . The turnovers really stick out though. Last year Idaho finished top 10 in the nation in turnover margin (+11, +0.84 per game). This year they're sitting pretty at 106th (-5 , -0.83 per game).

I get it, turnovers are often one of the more random stats, but this isn't a simple regression to the mean. It's a complete 180 and if it doesn't get fixed then turnovers are going to continue to kill Idaho.

Some positives from last week:

1) The first half

Some more negatives from last week:

1) The second half

Pretty much that simple. Whatever game plan Petrino and company put together last week worked like a charm for the first half. Appy State just made adjustments and Paul and his staff didn't. Don't know what else to say.

Moving on.....

This week Idaho is the homecoming opponent for a Missouri team that has lost 5 in a row and has yet to give up fewer than 31 to any opponent (including FCS Missouri State). Nothing cures your defensive woes like playing Idaho though. Just ask the Ragin' Cajuns of Louisiana.

So Mizzou's D is awful but I don't see anything on the offense that that jumps out as bad. QB Drew Lock appears to be the gunslinger type and as such the Tigers can really burn you with big plays (three WRs average over 20 ypr on the year). They spread the ball around well too. Four different WRs have at least 3 TDs on the year and two RBs have over 300 yards rushing. The offense really isn't their problem. If their defense can be halfway decent they'll come away with a win tomorrow.

Prediction:

If Idaho wants to win they'll need to do exactly what they did in the first half of last week's game. Rely on Duckworth, move the pocket, work the middle of the field with play action passes and crossing routes, and keep the opposing offense from making big plays.

I don't see why Idaho can't compete for the first quarter here, but I have absolutely no confidence in this team after that. O will stall and the D will pay the price. Even a bad SEC team has SEC talent.

Idaho 13
Missouri 45

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Half hour in and it's over. Worst team in the SEC making this game look like NFL players against middle schoolers. Good news is I can probably go get some work done today.

Changing my prediction to 70-13 Mizzou. Fuckin' Idaho. Y'all suck.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought you might have a chance there for a minute...seems like a mismatch unfortunately

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to start this write up off with two questions I asked myself last week before Idaho collapsed yet again in the second half of a Sun Belt conference game.

1. How big of a halftime lead would Idaho need in a football game for you to feel absolutely comfortable that they would win?

2. How big of a fourth quarter lead would Idaho need in a football game for you to feel absolutely comfortable that they would win?

I don't have an exact answer to either question, but I know the number would be greater than the age of the average BYU senior.

This is now the second time this year Idaho has gone into the fourth quarter with a two score lead and lost. In both cases (WMU and Appy State) Idaho failed to score a single point in the final period while also giving up three scores to the opposition.

Something's fucky here. The play calling, the inability to keep your foot on the gas pedal, the defensive breakdowns, etc. I don't know where it's coming from and after avoiding these kinds of fuck ups last year I didn't think we'd see a 2015 NMSU or USA type collapse again. But the curse, a.k.a. the Vandal Factor is back.

Shit anybody, who has watched this team this year knew last week's game was over the second App St. scored their first points. You could see the momentum swing just like you could see it when Matt threw a pick in the early fourth quarter against WMU when Idaho was up 9. This team just doesn't have the killer instinct.

There are a bunch of factors you could look at to explain Idaho's obvious regression but the biggest has to be turnovers. Sketchy O-line play (especially at tackle), a lack of consistent WR play, and poor QB awareness are others . The turnovers really stick out though. Last year Idaho finished top 10 in the nation in turnover margin (+11, +0.84 per game). This year they're sitting pretty at 106th (-5 , -0.83 per game).

I get it, turnovers are often one of the more random stats, but this isn't a simple regression to the mean. It's a complete 180 and if it doesn't get fixed then turnovers are going to continue to kill Idaho.

Some positives from last week:

1) The first half

Some more negatives from last week:

1) The second half

Pretty much that simple. Whatever game plan Petrino and company put together last week worked like a charm for the first half. Appy State just made adjustments and Paul and his staff didn't. Don't know what else to say.

Moving on.....

This week Idaho is the homecoming opponent for a Missouri team that has lost 5 in a row and has yet to give up fewer than 31 to any opponent (including FCS Missouri State). Nothing cures your defensive woes like playing Idaho though. Just ask the Ragin' Cajuns of Louisiana.

So Mizzou's D is awful but I don't see anything on the offense that that jumps out as bad. QB Drew Lock appears to be the gunslinger type and as such the Tigers can really burn you with big plays (three WRs average over 20 ypr on the year). They spread the ball around well too. Four different WRs have at least 3 TDs on the year and two RBs have over 300 yards rushing. The offense really isn't their problem. If their defense can be halfway decent they'll come away with a win tomorrow.

Prediction:

If Idaho wants to win they'll need to do exactly what they did in the first half of last week's game. Rely on Duckworth, move the pocket, work the middle of the field with play action passes and crossing routes, and keep the opposing offense from making big plays.

I don't see why Idaho can't compete for the first quarter here, but I have absolutely no confidence in this team after that. O will stall and the D will pay the price. Even a bad SEC team has SEC talent.

Idaho 13
Missouri 45

This was pure gold though LOL

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the heck happened? They had the lead. I went to the bathroom to pee. Come back and they are down by 40 pts . I was gone like 2 minuets.