• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 14 vs Georgia State

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they did it. The Idaho Vandals are guaranteed their first winning season in 6 years after taking down South Alabama 38-31 last week in the Dome. It wasn't a particularly clean game, but it could have easily been a much bigger victory had Idaho capitalized more on turnovers. South Alabama put the ball on the ground 3 times and was fortunate enough to recover all three times.

Luckily that didn't matter thanks to Isaiah Saunders who had another amazing performance going for 142 and 3 TDs on 23 carries. That was good enough to get him named Sun Belt offensive player of the week. And Idaho needed him to have that big game. Other than two huge TD plays Matt Linehan really did not have a great game. His second pick was just a crazy play involving a dropped pass that got tipped 4+ times before USA came down with the ball. But the other two were unadvised throws into coverage and across his body while rolling out of the pocket. He's going to need to clean that up this week against Georgia State's 9th ranked pass defense.

There were of course a ton of positives from last week's game too. Tony Lashley having an amazing game with a huge punt block and a team leading 14 tackles, true freshman Ty Graham getting an INT and a sack, and Kaden Elliss coming up with yet another huge pick. The defense struggled against the pass overall, but still made some big plays and stops when they needed to, and that's a big step up from what they were doing last year.

I'll move on to this week's game, and it's a pretty interesting one. It marks the first meeting between these two schools and it comes a week after the Panthers took out their rival Georgia Southern for the second straight year. That win was the first of interim coach Tim Lappano's career after he took over for the fired Trent Miles the week prior. If Lappano's name sounds familiar it's because he played running back for Idaho back in the late 70s and had a short stint as the RB coach under Dennis Erickson in the mid 80s. As far as I know this will be his first game in the Kibbie Dome where he's not wearing Silver and Gold.

As far as the team itself goes though, this is not the best match up for Idaho. GSU plays great pass D and likes to throw the ball a lot. Idaho of course has been more of a passing team and has a pretty poor pass defense. The Panthers have a solid QB in Utah graduate transfer Conner Manning and a group of very talented WRs lead by Robert Davis but they have struggled to run the ball this year ranking nearly dead last in FBS in ypg. I don't expect them to get much going against a decent Idaho front 7 this week.

I seem to always bring this point up, but it would serve Idaho well to control the ball with the running game and keep GSU off the field in this one. Saunders is playing too well right now to not feed him the ball 25 times today. If they can do that and limit turnovers there is no question in my mind they can win this game handily. If they can't, the match up dictates that Georgia State will be able to exploit Idaho's weaknesses. The Panthers are not as bad as their record indicates and Lappano has them playing better than they were at any point this season.

Prediction:
This one will probably be close. I can't see Petrino letting the team get complacent after clinching a bowl though. They'll be hungry for a win here and a chance to match Idaho's record for wins in an FBS season. Idaho comes out victorious in this one thanks in part to the Austin Rehkow factor but Georgia State fights until the end. Same score as last week.

Idaho 38
GSU 31

Go Vandals.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note: South Alabama beat NMSU and ULL is up 21 on ULM in the third. If that last result holds the Sun Belt will have 6 bowl eligible teams and only 5 bowl tie-ins. That may make things interesting but I have it on pretty good authority that the Arizona Bowl is already a done deal for Idaho. USA will get in somewhere as there just won't be enough bowl eligible teams. With two FCS wins they will get last priority on a bowl, but they'll get one in all likelihood.

Also, Georgia Southern beat Troy so it's looking like App St. and stAte will tie for the league title. Idaho has a chance to finish second if they can win today. Well, sort of. Troy would technically have a tie breaker since they beat Idaho head-to-head. Pretty happy to be in this position considering I predicted Idaho to be 5-6 right now and playing for a bowl bid.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, 24-12 at half.

Idaho is taking advantage of a lot of turnovers, but GSU is really moving the ball at will. Two missed extra points and a missed FG keeping Idaho in a decent position. Isaiah Saunders went down, probably won't be back. Going to have to keep the foot on the gas pedal .

Also now hearing that Idaho may be playing their bowl game in Boise. That's enough to make me want to throw up.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like listening to these fucktard ESPN3 announcers trying to justify the move down to the Big Sky as a good move. Any time these retards open their mouths on the subject it becomes clear how clueless they are about the situation. As if just being bad at their jobs wasn't annoying enough. Now they've got to flaunt their stupidity. Really, fuck them.

Idaho leading 37-12 midway through the fourth.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
37-12 Idaho win. Might have overestimated GSU but when you win the TO margin 6-0 and return a blocked punt for a TD it's hard to now win in blowout fashion. Bit flukey I guess but Idaho was clearly the better team.

Just gotta wait for the bowl announcement tomorrow. Really hope we get Arizona instead of Boise but I have a feeling we're going to get fucked here.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Cave_Johnson

So what bowls are the Vandals eligible for?

Arizona Bowl
Cure Bowl?
Camellia Bowl?

Been hearing mumblings about a possible matchup with Air Force as well. Only if Vandies get the 'Zona Bowl.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Cave_Johnson

So what bowls are the Vandals eligible for?

Arizona Bowl
Cure Bowl?
Camellia Bowl?

Been hearing mumblings about a possible matchup with Air Force as well. Only if Vandies get the 'Zona Bowl.

Oh boy man, I had it on pretty good authority that Idaho had essentially sealed the deal on the Arizona Bowl earlier this week with the opponent more than likely being Air Force. Now though USA and ULL are bowl eligible meaning that the SBC has 6 teams eligible with only 5 tie-ins. That being the case it has now been reported in at least one location that Idaho will get stuck in the Potato Bowl against Colorado State.

In that case USA will take the Arizona Bowl bid which is a fucking joke considering they're only eligible due to a waiver since two of their wins are FCS. You'd think Idaho would get the conference bowl and then USA would fill in somewhere else since they're basically being treated as a 5-7 team with the waiver. If Idaho gets stuck in Boise it's going to be due to either our own inept administration, the Potato Bowl committee, the SBC, or a combination of all three doing something fucky.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh boy man, I had it on pretty good authority that Idaho had essentially sealed the deal on the Arizona Bowl earlier this week with the opponent more than likely being Air Force. Now though USA and ULL are bowl eligible meaning that the SBC has 6 teams eligible with only 5 tie-ins. That being the case it has now been reported in at least one location that Idaho will get stuck in the Potato Bowl against Colorado State.

In that case USA will take the Arizona Bowl bid which is a fucking joke considering they're only eligible due to a waiver since two of their wins are FCS. You'd think Idaho would get the conference bowl and then USA would fill in somewhere else since they're basically being treated as a 5-7 team with the waiver. If Idaho gets stuck in Boise it's going to be due to either our own inept administration, the Potato Bowl committee, the SBC, or a combination of all three doing something fucky.
That would be ridiculous if South Alabama got the 'Zona Bowl. But honestly, I wouldn't mind if the Vandies got the spud bowl because they would get a huge turnout. It's not as glamorous, but the turnout would be pretty cool to see. I'd definitely be down there with a Kamchatka I.V., or somethin of the sort, rollin around the parking lot.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be ridiculous if South Alabama got the 'Zona Bowl. But honestly, I wouldn't mind if the Vandies got the spud bowl because they would get a huge turnout. It's not as glamorous, but the turnout would be pretty cool to see. I'd definitely be down there with a Kamchatka I.V., or somethin of the sort, rollin around the parking lot.

I'm sure they'd all of a sudden start caring about the tailgating alcohol ban if Idaho had a game there.

They'd get more Vandal fans in the seats, but damn I wanted Arizona. The date was better for that one too, not sure I can even make it if it's in Boise. Fuck, it's like they can't do everything specifically to make it easier on me. Those bastards.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure they'd all of a sudden start caring about the tailgating alcohol ban if Idaho had a game there.

They'd get more Vandal fans in the seats, but damn I wanted Arizona. The date was better for that one too, not sure I can even make it if it's in Boise. Fuck, it's like they can't do everything specifically to make it easier on me. Those bastards.
I bet Kustra will, at the very least, have somethin to say about it to the press if Idaho gets the spud bowl... :heh:

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the Arizona Bowl was a done deal until ESPN came in swinging their cocks and decided to fuck us over.

Hansen's Sunday Notebook: Arizona Bowl would like Air Force but ESPN may ground that mission

There might be some advantages to playing in Boise, but I can pretty much guarantee none of the players and coaches wanted that game. Who would? Especially after weeks of being told it was Arizona. And to give the better game up to a 6-6 team with two FCS wins that you beat two weeks ago? This just smells like shit all the way around.