• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We are going to lose Dansby...

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and to be brutally honest...

I'm not that broken up about it... not in the least.

We have Kevin Minter as a potential in house replacement, that will cost 1/20th the cost, and we will still probably address the LB position (both inside and outside) via the draft.

I view Dansby as a player who benefited the Cardinals system, not a player who truly elevated it. I think the Cardinals need to stay the course, look for younger talent, and build exactly like they did last year.

Remember... Dansby was a cheap 1 year replacement for the 2013 season, there will be others like him for this year if we need be.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sources say the browns and titans are willing to offer a big contract for dansby. We all know he is about the money. I would be happy if we sign him but the money provides many other options. Dallas is discussing possibly cutting ware. He is a guy who deserves the 10-12 million a year contract. We could get a nice safety and pass rusher for 12 million!

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like it is the browns that Dansby will go to.

Dansby was great last year but I don't see him duplicating those numbers. With Washington hopefully playing the whole season & Minter having a year of experience, I don't think we will lose much. The just need to find a good speedy veteran ILB to backup those guys.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and just like that... he's gone...

but like I said before... I'm not at ALL upset about it.... it was money that we could spend elsewhere...

Now Im chomping at the bit to hear news of Veldeheer...

In my mind, he was always the BEST LT option available.... and if we can get him... in my mind, the rest of the Free Agency period is gravy.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the contract signing is already getting panned.

WalterFootball 2014 NFL Free Agent Signing Grades

Browns sign ILB Karlos Dansby (4 years, $24M; $14M guaranteed): C- Grade

Sigh... same old Browns. Only inept teams like Cleveland would pay this much money to a soon-to-be 33-year-old linebacker who is almost certain to decline sometime soon. Granted, Dansby played out of his mind this past season, but he was on a 1-year deal, so he was extremely motivated to land another big contract. Cleveland naturally fell for this charade.

Once again, free agents who take big money to go to inferior franchises almost always disappoint. Dansby has shown that his No. 1 priority is money, so how motivated will he be while playing for a perennial loser? This is a disastrous move by Cleveland's new front office.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but...

VELDHEER IS OURS !!

I'd trade Dansby for Veldheer any day of the week !!!!

We got better today, even in losing Dansby.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am okay with losing dansby. That was way too much money to offer a 33 year old veteran.

sunsguns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad we "lost" Dansby at that price

Dude has said in the past, "At my age, it's all about getting a ring." Uh....good luck with that in Cleveland ...... LOL. :laugh3:

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleary he didn't say ring suns....

He said "Bling"

:-P

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Losing Dansby leave a giant hole that I don't think Minter just steps in and fills. Dansby was fantastic last year, a leader in the lockerroom, and arguably our best defensive player. So to act like losing him is no big deal I think is a little unfair.

Would I have given him the contract the Browns did? No. So if that's what it took, it just wasn't going to happen for AZ. But let's be real...the D just took a hit losing him.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Losing Dansby leave a giant hole that I don't think Minter just steps in and fills. Dansby was fantastic last year, a leader in the lockerroom, and arguably our best defensive player. So to act like losing him is no big deal I think is a little unfair.

Would I have given him the contract the Browns did? No. So if that's what it took, it just wasn't going to happen for AZ. But let's be real...the D just took a hit losing him.

I don't think it's as big a hit as you think. Is he a good player ? Yes, is he a supreme difference maker ? Not really... remember, even in interviews with Todd Bowles and Bruce Arians, it was the Cardinals defensive scheme that made Karlos Dansby... not the other way around. There was plenty of rumblings that when Dansby was dropping interceptions early in the year (and he did drop them... ALOT) it was all due to his being put in the right place at the right time via scheme... He just wasn't making the play.

In the long run... having that cap space available for this season, is much better than locking it up on a 33 year old LB (What he will be in the 2014 season). I don't think he is going to be able to sustain that type of production for the Cardinals, and especially the Browns.

I also look for the Cardinals to invest a #1 draft pick on a Defensive player this season, and if the upper tier CB's are gone, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cardinals draft an interior LB, or a player like Dee Ford out of Auburn, and using him as a pass rushing 3-4 OLB, something they need more than the interior LB like Karlos Dansby.-

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As others have said, Dansby was very good last year but he wasn't the big time difference maker that some think he is. He didn't start playing at a high level till D-Wash was back in the lineup. D-Wash being on the field freed him up to make the plays he did. For as great as Dansby played last season, he was still a liability in coverage, as witnessed by the torching TE(s) put on us to start the year. He was at his best when he played zone coverage within the defensive scheme.

Do I think his production will be missed next season? Yes, but I don't think it will be that big of a drop off. Minter is a very good ILB prospect that needs playing time to grow into the position. The guy can hit & make plays.

I think we all would have liked to have Dansby back for another years or two. But not at the cost of future cap space. Keim made the right decision to stand firm & not overpay a soon to 33 year old LB for a great season.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone will be surprised at what we have in minter! I loved Eric Reid for the niners (different positions but both LSU tigers) but minter was clearly the better player. Reed was a massive dropoff from Patrick Peterson, Morris Claiborne and even tyrann Matthieu in the defensive backfield. Minter was extremely consistent. He plays with such intensity! He has a knack for tackling and lives to hit the player with the ball. He will not get you the sacks or interceptions, maybe because he has been never really used in a blitzing scheme, but he will fill in nicely on the outside.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a big part of your run D though... He had a helluva good year for you guys... No doubt he ran to the money though..