• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wanting a New Gun Dog

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second hatch of Quail are flying and I am seeing pairs again. We have had two strong hatches of Pheasants also. Should be a great year.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's terrific. I still have a good number of woodcock on my property including one that's always in the same spot. It gets pointed and flushed just about every day!

Time to go snag some pigeons and do retrieve training but the heat's been unbearable.

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been in the hundreds here. Way to warm for running dogs.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second hatch of Quail are flying and I am seeing pairs again. We have had two strong hatches of Pheasants also. Should be a great year.

Saw a hen with her 10 little chicks in line behind her crossing the road.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure that the woodcock who set up her nest at the edge of our yard has re-thought that decision each time she's been flushed!

59e58f55-1374-417c-9ca0-94e8b6bb1000_zpsrm4yx1ha.jpg

Luckily, I have a trout stream and swimming hole on my property so at home my guy can run and soak, run and soak all day. If I take him somewhere with no water to cool off in he gets distressed. In the cool of Autumn, he'll run all morning and not slow down.

whip%20swimming_zpstsylbags.jpg

I slap the GPS on him and he's free all day though he mostly just hunts minnows in the stream during the heat.

203be233-d987-44fb-90f1-59d37dd8dfde_zpseeixrobc.jpg

Reactions: 006

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure that the woodcock who set up her nest at the edge of our yard has re-thought that decision each time she's been flushed!

View attachment 140998

Luckily, I have a trout stream and swimming hole on my property so at home my guy can run and soak, run and soak all day. If I take him somewhere with no water to cool off in he gets distressed. In the cool of Autumn, he'll run all morning and not slow down.

View attachment 140999

I slap the GPS on him and he's free all day though he mostly just hunts minnows in the stream during the heat.

View attachment 141000
Lord that is a pretty dog. Good job of training.

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made a round this morning checking the water and feed birds at every place I stopped. My kids are running Aberdeen Angus cattle and not as many cattle pure acre ( oil production does that ) so plenty of cover for the birds. I have to give it to them they are doing well. My Lord the horses they have I never in my wildest dreams had a remuda like that.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lord that is a pretty dog. Good job of training.

Thanks Neb.

That's awesome country you folks have out that way. Do you mostly hunt from horseback?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
beautiful dogs! I grew up with Irish Setters and Springers, but the birds in south NJ eventually dried up and we got out of the birddog game. I have a Catahoula now, but he is not a working dog.

My dad was big into hunting. I went with him and did some when I was a kid. The addition GPS is a nice little surprise, I have never heard of that. Very cool thread.

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Neb.

That's awesome country you folks have out that way. Do you mostly hunt from horseback?
I walk most of the time. I like being on the ground with the dogs. I will ride when I'm just running the dogs to get them in shape. Old John Henry likes dogs and he has a second gate lope that is perfect speed.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I walk most of the time. I like being on the ground with the dogs. I will ride when I'm just running the dogs to get them in shape. Old John Henry likes dogs and he has a second gate lope that is perfect speed.

I always walk. Things happen too fast to be messing around on horseback or on a four wheeler.

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some little birds running around yesterday. Things are looking great for Dove, and Quail season. Deer are going to be good also. Not seeing any stud's but I have a bunch of cull bucks.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You live in God's Country!

I netted 8 pigeons this week and I've launched and shot three. We're just beginning formal retrieve training but he's still figuring out marking and finding the downed birds. He gets so excited that he runs right past them a few times....he's still a pup. Do you guys have your dogs steady? Whip breaks at the flush and I gotta say, it doesn't really bother me. I know that there's a safety aspect and they say that a steady dog marks better but it seems like a lot of training work when my goal is just a hunting buddy.

I made a raised training bench with a cable across the top. I'm going to begin the force fetch process. I just want my dog to find them, staunch up and then retrieve downed birds to hand.

As for finding and locking up staunchly, that part's finished. He won't even twitch for a full 10 minutes over a bird and is picking up on the fact that he needs the gun to get the bird. We still have all those woodcock surrounding the property so he's off pointing them all the time. He's also very compliant on recall and being directed in the field.

It's nice to look forward to this season with the pup so well started and I don't have to worry about him being gun shy, hard mouthed or other negative stuff.

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have dogs that stand and some do not. I do not care either way.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You live in God's Country!

I netted 8 pigeons this week and I've launched and shot three. We're just beginning formal retrieve training but he's still figuring out marking and finding the downed birds. He gets so excited that he runs right past them a few times....he's still a pup. Do you guys have your dogs steady? Whip breaks at the flush and I gotta say, it doesn't really bother me. I know that there's a safety aspect and they say that a steady dog marks better but it seems like a lot of training work when my goal is just a hunting buddy.

I made a raised training bench with a cable across the top. I'm going to begin the force fetch process. I just want my dog to find them, staunch up and then retrieve downed birds to hand.

As for finding and locking up staunchly, that part's finished. He won't even twitch for a full 10 minutes over a bird and is picking up on the fact that he needs the gun to get the bird. We still have all those woodcock surrounding the property so he's off pointing them all the time. He's also very compliant on recall and being directed in the field.

It's nice to look forward to this season with the pup so well started and I don't have to worry about him being gun shy, hard mouthed or other negative stuff.

Mine are all broke steady to wing and shot, but I only keep them there till the next hunting season. It's good to do with a young dog in training. Helps them slow things down and also makes it easier to call them off birds. Having a dog that is steady to bumped birds or can be stopped on bumped birds is a big advantage too.

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so happy hunting season is almost here. I plan on going at least three or four times a week.

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dove season starts Thursday night and we may have more resident birds than ever. Of course we also have a batch of Rattlesnakes so snake boots are a must.
I shreaded my hailed out Millet this weekend and have two weeks before it has to be disked in. Beers, friends, food and Doves this weekend.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have fun....sounds like a blast.

We're less than two months away from our opener.