• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wanting a New Gun Dog

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After having to put my Brittany down this fall, I'm contemplating a new pup in the upcoming year. Been researching LLewellen setters and leaning toward one of these stunners:

Rickki_Lyn2.jpg

They're so beautiful and I def want to stick with a pointer. Nothing cooler than a bird locked down under point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After having to put my Brittany down this fall, I'm contemplating a new pup in the upcoming year. Been researching LLewellen setters and leaning toward one of these stunners:

Rickki_Lyn2.jpg

They're so beautiful and I def want to stick with a pointer. Nothing cooler than a bird locked down under point.
I think they are a great dog. Very nice on birds and they make great pets.
We hunt behind English Pointers but our country is big and we need the range of them to get out and find those covey's

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always thought the best looking dog on point was an English setter with a 12 o'clock tail. But I'm a short hair guy, so I won't be much help.

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always thought the best looking dog on point was an English setter with a 12 o'clock tail. But I'm a short hair guy, so I won't be much help.
I think any dog on point is a beautiful thing.
All the pointing breeds have something about them, that itensity and drive. Never get tired of seeing them work.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My brother's English setter is a thing of beauty when she goes on point.

I think any dog on point is a beautiful thing.
All the pointing breeds have something about them, that itensity and drive. Never get tired of seeing them work.

Not just on point but watching them hunt and as they start getting scent how deliberate they become in finding the birds.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well guys, I made the leap and was successful in finding a really solid LLewellin breeder and dog trainer just 60 miles away. We bantered back and forth and he wants his last male to go to me so he's refunding this other guy's deposit 'cause the other dude was on the fence or something so I really lucked out. It's one of the pups from this litter:

img_8071_zpsfb6925f7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I won't know the actual color phase for a few more days but I'll post a pic when I find out. He should be close to this when full grown:

220px-Zoe-llewellin.jpg

I'm so excited. Fortunately, I have plenty of property right behind my house to train all year. I can even plant and shoot birds.

Finally, after 5 years, I'm going to be able to hunt upland birds this fall!

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats NE! You going to send her to a trainer?

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well guys, I made the leap and was successful in finding a really solid LLewellin breeder and dog trainer just 60 miles away. We bantered back and forth and he wants his last male to go to me so he's refunding this other guy's deposit 'cause the other dude was on the fence or something so I really lucked out. It's one of the pups from this litter:

img_8071_zpsfb6925f7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I won't know the actual color phase for a few more days but I'll post a pic when I find out. He should be close to this when full grown:

220px-Zoe-llewellin.jpg

I'm so excited. Fortunately, I have plenty of property right behind my house to train all year. I can even plant and shoot birds.

Finally, after 5 years, I'm going to be able to hunt upland birds this fall!
That is awesome. You just might have to make a road trip to Texas and turn that dog out on some Bob's.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks guys. The breeder/trainer is only about an hour away so I may well use his services when the pup's 4 months but I do have my own property to use as well.

Yeah Neb, I was talking to my best bud yesterday and we are planning on some type of trip with him next year or perhaps the year after.

Now.....names. Currently considering Scout, Gauge or Harley.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks guys. The breeder/trainer is only about an hour away so I may well use his services when the pup's 4 months but I do have my own property to use as well.

Yeah Neb, I was talking to my best bud yesterday and we are planning on some type of trip with him next year or perhaps the year after.

Now.....names. Currently considering Scout, Gauge or Harley.

Congratz on the new daggot. I never had a Harley (motorcycle) in my life so I once had a dog named Harley.

Enjoy

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha Ha thanks, well I do ride a Harley so that's where that one came from...still haven't decided. I do know which pup I'm getting though. He'll be an orange benton so he won't be tricolor. He'll be something like this:

ruger.jpg

We pick him up in two weeks. I'm so stoked I can't stand it!

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean me? I pick him up on the 24th. If you mean the breeder, he has instagram pics and vids up.
Garnet's (his temp name from the gemstones litter) the blonde sleeping in the forefront of this pic. You can see that he'll get a dark orange ear and a patch on his right side...another at the base of the tail. I think he's gonna look a lot like the image I found and posted above(though that should have read "belton").

garnetsleep_zps461946cd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol! BF did you read what I typed? Perhaps you're plorsting but you ain't makin' sense!

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much better than a good bird dog, well after my children and wife of course but they're close. I have GSH's but I have a buddy with a Llewellin and he's a great dog, have hunted many a covey behind him. Congrats on your new pup, and hope you bag your limit many times.

I ride a Harley as well but haven't ever named a bird dog after one. I did have dogs named Remy (after Remington) and Nelli (as in Benelli). Yeah really original I know.

Hunt em up!

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks man!

I've had two brittanys and I do love GSPs but I'm excited about this breed.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you got any questions about anything, holler at me.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will do, thanks.

So we've been mulling names and just could not find anything that we all like. I thought Scout for a while, maybe Gauge. Def some sort of gundog name. Well me and wifey were running errands yesterday when she says out of nowhere what about Whip?

I loved it immediately.

We pick up Whip nest Saturday. I couldn't find that name on any list of dog names and it's a little odd but it's nice and sharp, dissimilar from any command and suggests speed and a sharp crack!