• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

VT vs. GT - 9/3/12

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Ok, I know it's acouple days after the fact, but some of my observations of the game Monday night:

The crowd seemed louder than similar night games recently. Not the loudest ever, but overall very loud all game. I don't know if reseating helped that at all (maybe we're just in a louder section).

The defense was extremely well prepared for cut blocks. I know VT was practicing for it, and I think this was the biggest improvement from last GT game. Their Oline was wiffinng on blocks all night, and the times our guys were cut down, they were right back up.

Al Groh had his defense well prepared for us. The zone read and bubble screens were useless for the Hokeis. VT offered a weird mix of newer offensive concepts with older tendancies at times. Credit Groh for weeding out the fluff and keeping them alive. Ofcourse, we always find a way to move the ball against Groh when we absolutely need it.

I'll credit Tevin Washington too for some great plays. That 4th down conversion was great for them. One a night when they were struggling, he was leading. Unfortunately for him, he still hasn't been prepared for handling the pressure that led to the INT. A senior quarterback should never make that mistake.

Logan Thomas struggled at times, but I'm not worried. The running game will get started. Recievers stepped up, and no one showed panic. It's obvious that the offense is trying to adapt.

With that in mind, I'm just glad we have a few weeks now to prepare for the rest of our conference games. I feel like we have a number of progressing steps from now until North Carolina to build and get better. The burden that was opening against GT, is now our benefit.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sentiments about the game generally reflect everyone else's. Here are some of my observations:

When I went back and watched the game on Phreak's channel, Holmes actually looked reasonably quick on his cuts. Most of his bad plays were where he got blown up in the backfield. That being said, I loved JC's runs so I would be surprised if he didn't start getting more carries.

Logan looked very average. He did throw some great balls, but he sailed a bunch of em as well. On the read option, he should really start handing the ball off more. Not only is he making the wrong read sometimes, but handing it off will keep him from getting hit. Last year, I was one of his biggest critics at the beginning of the season and he had a HUGE turnaround so I fully expect him to be rolling here in a few weeks.

I really have no criticisms for the defense. Bonner looks meh, but were we expecting him to be that great? He was pretty awful last year.

Overall, it was a pretty ugly win, but GT by no means outplayed us. If it weren't for that muff, they probably would not have scored in the first half. We just got to iron shit out and get everyone 100% for the big games coming up later in the month.

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sentiments about the game generally reflect everyone else's. Here are some of my observations:

When I went back and watched the game on Phreak's channel, Holmes actually looked reasonably quick on his cuts. Most of his bad plays were where he got blown up in the backfield. That being said, I loved JC's runs so I would be surprised if he didn't start getting more carries.

Logan looked very average. He did throw some great balls, but he sailed a bunch of em as well. On the read option, he should really start handing the ball off more. Not only is he making the wrong read sometimes, but handing it off will keep him from getting hit. Last year, I was one of his biggest critics at the beginning of the season and he had a HUGE turnaround so I fully expect him to be rolling here in a few weeks.

Concur with all the above, especially the bold. LT cant take all the reads up the middle, and only give Holmes the ball when the middle is clogged. I would love to see Holmes take it to the middle more, especially when its wide open. I noticed on replay that LT was looking winded during the first drive, after his several runs. The running game should be RB first, QB second, IMO.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I really have no criticisms for the defense. Bonner looks meh, but were we expecting him to be that great? He was pretty awful last year.

Overall, it was a pretty ugly win, but GT by no means outplayed us. If it weren't for that muff, they probably would not have scored in the first half. We just got to iron shit out and get everyone 100% for the big games coming up later in the month.

There was definitely one play were he tried to hand it off to Coleman on the read option and Coleman did not take it. Logan looked a little alarmed, but being the great athlete and player he is, was able to still get a big gain for a first down. I think there was definitely a little trust issue that should develop over the next few games. It being a big game so early in the season, I think he tried to do too much, especially when some of his senior receivers were having off nights as well (Roberts and Davis).

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
There was definitely one play were he tried to hand it off to Coleman on the read option and Coleman did not take it. Logan looked a little alarmed, but being the great athlete and player he is, was able to still get a big gain for a first down. I think there was definitely a little trust issue that should develop over the next few games. It being a big game so early in the season, I think he tried to do too much, especially when some of his senior receivers were having off nights as well (Roberts and Davis).

Not only with LT but hopefully with the coaches also.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good read, always glad to hear the current Hokies are still treating visitors with class and respect

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The 2 things I got out of that were LT really sucked and our coaches called for WR screens and slants against a D that was playing up close when they should have done the complete opposite and at least tried a deep bomb or two. One of the most disappointing things when the new weights came in for the fall was that Wang hadn't gotten any bigger. Now it looks like he's getting pushed around because of it. The guards should be always be 300+ IMO unless you've got a really special player

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2 things I got out of that were LT really sucked and our coaches called for WR screens and slants against a D that was playing up close when they should have done the complete opposite and at least tried a deep bomb or two. One of the most disappointing things when the new weights came in for the fall was that Wang hadn't gotten any bigger. Now it looks like he's getting pushed around because of it. The guards should be always be 300+ IMO unless you've got a really special player

Agree on Wang, he got pushed around a lot. I thought, except for the one missed block, Painter looked really good. And you hit the nail on the head about short vs long passes. The one time we really stretched the field, TD. I was afraid we were gonna throw pick sixes with how tight the dbs were playing those screens.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the most disappointing things when the new weights came in for the fall was that Wang hadn't gotten any bigger. Now it looks like he's getting pushed around because of it. The guards should be always be 300+ IMO unless you've got a really special player

You'll notice the article talked about him not keeping his feet moving, which is a technique issue not a weight issue. I think Wang can be ok playing at that weight if he corrects a couple things. Ideally you'd like 300+, I agree, but I've been pretty impressed with Wang. I think he's got enough other things in his favor to overcome his smaller size and be a good OG for us.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You'll notice the article talked about him not keeping his feet moving, which is a technique issue not a weight issue. I think Wang can be ok playing at that weight if he corrects a couple things. Ideally you'd like 300+, I agree, but I've been pretty impressed with Wang. I think he's got enough other things in his favor to overcome his smaller size and be a good OG for us.

Maybe he's so overwhelmed with a strength or weight disadvantage that he can't follow through with what he wants to do. I've read Newsome quotes saying he is the most technically sound of all of his guys but then again it's Newsome saying that so take it FWIW

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
woo! my reactions weren't too far off! way to go me!

really cool article though.. looks like they're going to do that for every game too, that's awesome

They started doing some of that off and on last year which is why, imo, TKP is the most badass Hokie site there is (non-message board that is. Can't touch HokieHoopla)

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They started doing some of that off and on last year which is why, imo, TKP is the most badass Hokie site there is (non-message board that is. Can't touch HokieHoopla)
Agreed...hokie SportsHoopla and tkp are the two sites I frequent the most..by far..the info and entertainment that I get from these two sites collectively beat the other hokie sites to shit ... Virginiatechfan.com is good, 247 seems to be good too (but I'm not payin)

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he's so overwhelmed with a strength or weight disadvantage that he can't follow through with what he wants to do.

Nope.

I've read Newsome quotes saying he is the most technically sound of all of his guys but then again it's Newsome saying that so take it FWIW

I think his technique is pretty good overall, but that doesn't mean it's perfect in all areas.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed...hokie SportsHoopla and tkp are the two sites I frequent the most..by far..the info and entertainment that I get from these two sites collectively beat the other hokie sites to shit ... Virginiatechfan.com is good, 247 seems to be good too (but I'm not payin)

agreed. Bitter's blog is good, too. Gobblercountry is ok, but not what it used to be.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty cool video of clips from the GT game.

Last edited by a moderator: