• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Voynov article

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voynov has domestic violence case dismissed
A judge dismissed the case, his next step is applying for reinstatement.
His next step is to get a work Visa, but with his record dismissed that should be easy. Hall of Famer Gary Bettman was not thrilled with being left out of the loop during the trial. However, with no conviction on record the NHLPA will fight to reinstate

Now do the kings have the capspace or desire to sign him?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have about $2.15 million, which wouldn't even be close to market value for a player like him so I see a few options:

- they will get him reinstated and either trade his rights or a sign and trade for help up front. Even with Kovalchuk, they need reinforcements considering Brown totally overachieved last season and Pearson/Tofolli underachieved. That's 50% of your T6 and I am completely expecting a Brown regression, meh improvement from Toffoli if he isn't moved and a much better year from Pearson.

They still need help in their T6 after all that.

- They will move one of Muffin or Martinez for help up front - they have been established NHLers for some time where as Voynov has not and thus has less perceived value - and Voynov will take that defender's spot. If that is the case, it's Martinez because he can play both sides where as Muffo can only play LD and Martinez played RD most of the time here. Voynov is a right handed RD and slips into Martinez's spot.

You can get a M6 forward for about $3 million, and either one of those guys frees up about $1 million. Take the $2.15 million space available + $1 million savings + a few moves here and there moving B6 players = enough money for the M6 forward and Voynov at around $3.75-4 million, which is closer to his value but also a discount considering his situation.

My .02.

Last edited:

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Voynov's horrible situation and subsequent departure was the #1 reason for the decline of Kings. The decline of Richards, Stoll, Williams, Scuderi, Mitchell were all bad, but expected (albeit Richards a lot sooner than expected). The subsequent Sekera trade to replace Voynov, and of course the Lucic debacle, have of course been well documented on this board. We all know the story.

Now in the summer of 2018, all the rumors surround the Kings adding another forward, even after signing Kovalchuk. And I get it, the forwards overall haven't looked great the last few years. But really (from a pure hockey sense, i.e., overcoming the PR, legal, & morality issues), then I think adding Voynov back in should've been the #1 priority.

I say "should've been #1 priority" because the Kings took on the Phaneuf contract (and his limited NTC) last season. That might have been the clearest signal they will eventually trade Voynov instead of putting him back in the line-up. If they really wanted Voynov back-in, then I think they would've paid (with assets) to get rid of Gaborik's cap hit. I was mildly in favor of the Phaneuf trade at the time. As they essentially got rid of boarder-line-NHL player in Gaborik for at least a decent player in Phaneuf. But I now I see it as another reason preventing the return Voynov to the Kings.

If you assume that 2018 Kovalchuk's production is more or less = to 2014 Williams, then the forward crop doesn't look a whole different than the last Cup winning version of the Kings. Richards had a very small role in 2014, and Stoll was moderate, less than 2012. On the flip-side, we cannot overlook the leadership roles of all those departed players either.

Again, I am not against trading players/assets for another forward. I just think adding Voynov back in might do more. But as we all know, even if the Legal and PR issues are handled properly, the Salary Cap issue for adding Voynov is another huge hurdle.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Voynov's departure certainly did accelerate the decline, they were set on defense for some time. Assuming Martinez and Muffo progressed as they have, the T4 would have been Doughty, Martinez, Voynov and Muzzin. That is a pretty solid T4 overall with a very diverse skill set. The bottom pairing would have been addressed with stop gaps and low dollar players so it would have rounded out quite well IMO.

Dumbo went on a quest to fill that big void - Voynov is a T2 defender - as we saw and it depleted the assets, there were band aids and jerry rig moves (McBain, McStiff, Schultz, etc.) and it never was addressed properly. The plan was maybe a guy like McNabb develops (he didn't), or one of the draftees develops (they haven't) to where Voynov isn't necessary.

I disagree about Phaneuf however, Blake corrected that contractual mistake by essentially flipping Gaborik's money sitting on IR most of every season to a veteran, T4 defender (phasing out into a B6 defender soon) and slotting the B6 well. Phaneuf is not the man here in LA, nor is he expected to be, like he was in Toronto and Ottawa and I think fills that second pairing well.

He cost the Kings a grand total increase of around $700,000 so it's not like Blake went out and made an audacious move to address a need. He isn't the solution, but he is the solution for the foreseeable future. I don't think his acquisition was related to anything Voynov at all, there was a need in the T4 on defense and Blake did it.

Getting Voynov back would push him down to the B6 sooner, where a guy like LaDue, Brickley, Fantenberg, etc. could play sheltered minutes with a veteran, experienced defenseman and learn the ropes in a secure environment. It would also limit Phaneuf's minutes as he isn't (or shouldn't be anyway) a guy you rely on for minute munching in all situations.

While Dumbo dished out some eye popping contracts, one thing I think he did very successfully was mix the lineup with youth and experience, green and leadership. Legal issues aside for some guys I feel the loss of glue guys like Stoll, Mitchell, Regehr, Richards, Williams, etc. had a big hand in the slide we've seen the last few years - those guys kept the youngins in check and also led by example whereas the transition to the new leadership group hasn't gone as smoothly but is getting there.

Phaneuf fills that role somewhat but it's still lacking, but one thing Phaneuf has always been is a good leader and a professional.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone hear anything new on Voynov? Obviously the Kings (and any other club) have to get a definitive answer from NHL on his potential re-admittance, suspension, etc. before they pull the trigger on any trade.

Given the slow start of the Kings, and potential trade(s) to shake-up the team, I am wondering if Voynov might be part of larger package deal. Given his status, he probably wouldn't bring much of a return alone. But in a package deal, a team could justify taking on the high-risk-high-reward Voynov if there are other pieces (both current NHLers and picks/prospects) involved. A package deal could dilute the backlash of acquiring Voynov on his own.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone hear anything new on Voynov? Obviously the Kings (and any other club) have to get a definitive answer from NHL on his potential re-admittance, suspension, etc. before they pull the trigger on any trade.

Given the slow start of the Kings, and potential trade(s) to shake-up the team, I am wondering if Voynov might be part of larger package deal. Given his status, he probably wouldn't bring much of a return alone. But in a package deal, a team could justify taking on the high-risk-high-reward Voynov if there are other pieces (both current NHLers and picks/prospects) involved. A package deal could dilute the backlash of acquiring Voynov on his own.
He had met with Bettman about two months ago and they are reviewing IF he can return. I doubt a ruling happens soon. Once the NHL makes a ruling, the NHLPA will fight it to lessen it. If they don’t make a ruling then neither side has to do anything. Voynov could force the PA to fight but hasn’t yet. I think they will wait until the offseason so he will be a UFA.
If they were smart announce his return on Super Bowl Saturday and bury it when no one will cover it

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited:

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize that bigger, multi-player trades are more difficult to consummate. But it would clearly "dilute" the Voynov issue if multiple players/ pieces were involved in a trade. For both the Kings and the acquiring team.

Also, any team acquiring Voynov + another NHL player would have to have the corresponding cap room. Specifically, I am thinking of Voynov + NHL roster player (Martinez, Pearson, etc.) and another pick /prospect for a NHL forward + pick/ prospect.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if his contract has been “canceled” or whatever the term is, what is his CAP hit to the team that he goes to? Or will they have to renegotiate a new deal and the CAP hit would be based on that?

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if his contract has been “canceled” or whatever the term is, what is his CAP hit to the team that he goes to? Or will they have to renegotiate a new deal and the CAP hit would be based on that?
I don’t know. I am just spouting nonsense

I would think they would have to honor whatever his deal was. Otherwise players with long term deals that maybe pay a lot less toward the end, would play a year in Russia and then come back to renegotiate a better deal

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe our resident "lawyer" Puck had previously researched this and posted that Voynov and Kings would negotiate a new contract, that the Kings were not bound by the previous terms.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think he has got to have some kind of idea about reinstatement sometime during this year. Otherwise why not play another year in Russsia?