• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Verlander/Avila Trade Scenario

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would you be willing to give up? Let's assume the Tigers eat one third of Verlander's remaining salary.

I would package RP Justin Grimm, C Victor Caratini, OF Mark Zagunis, P Pierce Johnson, and a player to be named later.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know why the Tigers would take that and pay part of his salary. Any list from an AL team still starts with Schwarber.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I Tiger fan I am surprised that Haps has been thrown around as a possible trade chip.

Verlander has not had a good year but if you take the two bad outings against Cleveland out of the equation he is sub 3.80 ERA.

If the National writer is accurate it tells me JV has a lot of interest around the league. As for the salary it's high but you get him for the next 2-3 years. A solid number 2-3. I think he is worth more as part of a package with Avila.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happ is being called the new Zobrist in chicago. But Ben has 3 more years and they need to pay Javy by the time he leaves or deal him too.

The writers here feel that the cubs are going to jump early like they did last year before too many other teams are ready. Its going to take a big name to get him, not the suggested scrubs and I would really like to see Pierce Johnson make it as a pitcher here since he would be one that we actually developed.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happ and Schwarber aren't going anywhere.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you want Verlander and ALL his money, then yeah, it will take alot less. The names going back are what is reducing that salary he can no longer earn.

All people complain is Schwarber cant catch, schwarber sucks in the outfield, so if he is not driving in a few runs every couple games he is someone that should go to the AL.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Heyman on MLB Network this morning speculated on several trades. He has Verlander going to the Cubs for three minor league pitching prospects - Hatch, Paulino, and Rosario.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Heyman on MLB Network this morning speculated on several trades. He has Verlander going to the Cubs for three minor league pitching prospects - Hatch, Paulino, and Rosario.

No way, would I pull the trigger on that trade.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know why the Tigers would take that and pay part of his salary. Any list from an AL team still starts with Schwarber.
Schwarber does nothing unless Victor Martinez is gone.

Neither can play in the field. I'd really be surprised if he's involved.

I'd also be surprised if Verlander is involved tbh. Avila I see being moved. And JD Martinez and possibly Kinsler. JV has to sign off and there's so much money left on his deal. Doesn't seem likely, to me.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwarber does nothing unless Victor Martinez is gone.

Neither can play in the field. I'd really be surprised if he's involved.

I'd also be surprised if Verlander is involved tbh. Avila I see being moved. And JD Martinez and possibly Kinsler. JV has to sign off and there's so much money left on his deal. Doesn't seem likely, to me.

Upton and JD are both turning 30 very soon. No talks of moving them? It feels like you all are headed towards a pretty big rebuild. I guess I don't see why you wouldn't have them on the table. I mean, I would have everyone besides Fulmer and a couple other younger guys. If I'm really committed.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upton and JD are both turning 30 very soon. No talks of moving them? It feels like you all are headed towards a pretty big rebuild. I guess I don't see why you wouldn't have them on the table. I mean, I would have everyone besides Fulmer and a couple other younger guys. If I'm really committed.
JD is getting traded. There's no way he isn't. Mostly because of Upton, or his deal. Upton has three years left on his deal. He can opt out after this year, but that doesn't seem likely. Unless Detroit and whoever would trade for him payout like suckers.

My main drawback on Upton as a Tiger is only that JD can't be longterm. JU doesn't have bad seasons, ever. Bad stretches, but never bad years. Not a good contract for Detroit though. And one I don't see moving.

I'd be open to offers on anyone. Cabrera is at about the worst point to deal him. So he's not really an option unless Big Al doesn't care about value and needs to ditch money. I'd listen on NickyC and Fulmer too. Justin wilson I'd shop. Romine even. Iglesias for sure.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD is getting traded. There's no way he isn't. Mostly because of Upton, or his deal. Upton has three years left on his deal. He can opt out after this year, but that doesn't seem likely. Unless Detroit and whoever would trade for him payout like suckers.

My main drawback on Upton as a Tiger is only that JD can't be longterm. JU doesn't have bad seasons, ever. Bad stretches, but never bad years. Not a good contract for Detroit though. And one I don't see moving.

I'd be open to offers on anyone. Cabrera is at about the worst point to deal him. So he's not really an option unless Big Al doesn't care about value and needs to ditch money. I'd listen on NickyC and Fulmer too. Justin wilson I'd shop. Romine even. Iglesias for sure.

Upton is a streaky hitter, but yes, he's very reliable year-to-year.

JD is a guy who I honestly believe has/had hall of fame level ability, if he could have just stayed healthy in his 20's. Doubtful that he suddenly does in his 30's. However, that dude goes through stretches where he's just downright unconscious at the plate. When he came back from the DL this year, it felt like he either homered or had 2-3 hits every night for a while. If healthy, he could be a centerpiece in the lineup for a contender.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upton is a streaky hitter, but yes, he's very reliable year-to-year.

JD is a guy who I honestly believe has/had hall of fame level ability, if he could have just stayed healthy in his 20's. Doubtful that he suddenly does in his 30's. However, that dude goes through stretches where he's just downright unconscious at the plate. When he came back from the DL this year, it felt like he either homered or had 2-3 hits every night for a while. If healthy, he could be a centerpiece in the lineup for a contender.
I think JD has a good deal of value in a deal.

And I think he's a 100mil guy in the winter. He isn't helping in the field, but he's turned himself into a helluva hitter.

I don't think he's been the same defensively since he got hurt last year. Not that his athleticism took a huge hit. He thinks about it, even if he doesn't think about it. Ya know?