• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ventura was awful today

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
down 2 runs in the 8th, Garcia is up with a man on. he has the option of pinch hitting with konerko, viciedo, simmion, or flowers. he decides to leave that bum at the plate after he we've seen that he cant hit the ball out of the infield. he also pulls webb after he looked pretty good to throw veal in just because a couple of lefties are coming up. over managing the staff and not managing the lineup. nice work robin

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed those moves seem like mistakes but it's easy for us to second guess after the fact. You don't know who's feeling good or not good out there, you aren't seeing it up close. But yeah, Ventura's not a good manager.

This kind of game is likely to happen all year, the Sox can score but have very suspect pitching. Which is weird because it was the opposite one year ago. They may sniff .500 though which would be a big improvement over last year...I like their chances in 2015.

Even Dunn is sort of productive...in a contract year of course, that bum.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in row 2 section 127. they weren't second guesses either

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed those moves seem like mistakes but it's easy for us to second guess after the fact. You don't know who's feeling good or not good out there, you aren't seeing it up close. But yeah, Ventura's not a good manager.

This kind of game is likely to happen all year, the Sox can score but have very suspect pitching. Which is weird because it was the opposite one year ago. They may sniff .500 though which would be a big improvement over last year...I like their chances in 2015.

Even Dunn is sort of productive...in a contract year of course, that bum.

if these were isolated incidents you'd have a point but this is typical of ventura. he does not and never has known how to use his men.

i'd like their chances a whole lot more if they replaced RV.

re: dunn .... when all is said and done he will not be attractive to any team unless he takes about 1/10 what he's making now.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if these were isolated incidents you'd have a point but this is typical of ventura. he does not and never has known how to use his men.

i'd like their chances a whole lot more if they replaced RV.

re: dunn .... when all is said and done he will not be attractive to any team unless he takes about 1/10 what he's making now.

Replacing RV would help, depending on who replaces him...after all, we wanted Ozzie gone and we got our wish...

In my opinion baseball managers don't matter too much, a good one maybe wins you a couple of games more. It's an individual matchup sport, not a team sport like basketball or football. They won it all with a bad manager in 2005.

They need better players, especially pitchers. I think they'll get some for next year.

Re Dunn: 1/10 is an exaggeration I'm sure...but in a contract year I can see him putting up .230/.330/.480 which would be worth at least $5-7 mil a year in the new Dodgers' inflated world. The silver lining on that jerk not trying until this year is in late July we may be able to deal him to an AL contender for a prospect. The recipient team would only have to pay him for 2 months.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replacing RV would help, depending on who replaces him...after all, we wanted Ozzie gone and we got our wish...

In my opinion baseball managers don't matter too much, a good one maybe wins you a couple of games more. It's an individual matchup sport, not a team sport like basketball or football. They won it all with a bad manager in 2005.

They need better players, especially pitchers. I think they'll get some for next year.

Re Dunn: 1/10 is an exaggeration I'm sure...but in a contract year I can see him putting up .230/.330/.480 which would be worth at least $5-7 mil a year in the new Dodgers' inflated world. The silver lining on that jerk not trying until this year is in late July we may be able to deal him to an AL contender for a prospect. The recipient team would only have to pay him for 2 months.

in 2005 they came pretty close to blowing it all because of a bad manager. you say a good manager is worth a couple games .... i'd differ to the tune of 5 to 7 games BUT ... a bad manager can COST you 5 to 7 games also. that's a pretty big turnaround. and imo that manager is what cost the sox a pennant in 2012!

re:dunn that's a nice dream.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in 2005 they came pretty close to blowing it all because of a bad manager. you say a good manager is worth a couple games .... i'd differ to the tune of 5 to 7 games BUT ... a bad manager can COST you 5 to 7 games also. that's a pretty big turnaround. and imo that manager is what cost the sox a pennant in 2012!

re:dunn that's a nice dream.

Well, weren't they in first place the entire year, and then went 11-1 in the playoffs? In any case we can agree to disagree about the importance of the manager, we definitely agree RV isn't good.

Since we're on 2005 memory lane here, can we just give a shout out to what happened in the ALCS vs the Angels that year? We lost the first game and then won the next 4 with EVERY ONE OF THE 4 GAMES A COMPLETE GAME by our pitchers. That quite literally will never ever happen again. :yahoo:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, weren't they in first place the entire year, and then went 11-1 in the playoffs? In any case we can agree to disagree about the importance of the manager, we definitely agree RV isn't good.

Since we're on 2005 memory lane here, can we just give a shout out to what happened in the ALCS vs the Angels that year? We lost the first game and then won the next 4 with EVERY ONE OF THE 4 GAMES A COMPLETE GAME by our pitchers. That quite literally will never ever happen again. :yahoo:

Yes. However, I don't think anyone can really argue that the collapse in August and early September was unacceptable. In mid-July, at 62-29, that team was on pace to win 112 games. And should have absolutely managed to win somewhere in that ballpark.

Obviously, the 11-1 post-season run is MORE than enough to forgive and forget. However, it doesn't change the fact that the late summer collapse was large in part due to poor managing.

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. However, I don't think anyone can really argue that the collapse in August and early September was unacceptable. In mid-July, at 62-29, that team was on pace to win 112 games. And should have absolutely managed to win somewhere in that ballpark.

Obviously, the 11-1 post-season run is MORE than enough to forgive and forget. However, it doesn't change the fact that the late summer collapse was large in part due to poor managing.

A fair point, but teams don't win 112 games so they were going to pull back at some point. 2005 is not evidence that Ozzie was a good manager, he wasn't. It was evidence that you don't really need a good manager.