• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Update on GM search

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dolphins notifying candidates of finalists for GM job. Ray Farmer (CLE) remains a frontrunner sources said. Brian Gaine internal candidate

Per Jason LaCanfora on twitter.

IMO, Gaine and Farmer are the best candidates the Fins have interviewed with Xanders rounding out for a top 3. Xanders is coming from DET. Farmer is coming from CLE. And Gaine is an internal candidate.

Some, even those who dont know nothing about these guys may not like these choices considering one comes from the Browns who are often a disappointment and the other from the Lions who cant ever get over the hump - But, just look at their rosters, they have some talent on the rosters and these guys have a lot to do with it - So, they are very capable of identifying talent if they take the job with the Fins - the rest would be on the players.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be ok with Farmer as he helped build the Chiefts. He'd be a good fit. Xanders may be ok too but not sure about our internal choice as would he really be any different than Ireland? I think they need a new perspective....

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be ok with Farmer as he helped build the Chiefts. He'd be a good fit. Xanders may be ok too but not sure about our internal choice as would he really be any different than Ireland? I think they need a new perspective....

FlyerFinFan & All,

I also think Farmer could be a good choice for GM. RE Gaine: I think of him as a guy that is not solely an Ireland protege, he also worked with Parcells. I think he could still bring some additional insight to the team in a position under Farmer. Gaine did not have final say RE the draft picks or personnel decisions therefore he shouldn't get either all the credit or blame for draft picks that he has been a part of. Also, Gaine is scouting now at the Seniorbowl and that could be useful to the team.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes agreed I'd have no problem with him staying on as assistant GM makes for a smoother transition.

Do you guys think they are waiting for someone off the seahawks or broncos? They may already have a deal but don't wish to announce it yet.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is the Fins were attempting to find out if one of the candidates of the top 2 to 4 teams in the playoffs would be interested in the Fin's GM job and those candidates are not going for the job.

RE Farmer withdrawing as a candidate: From what I've heard, there is concern RE how much power Aponte has. She is great at managing numbers but can the new GM be assured that if there is a player he really wants to keep such as Grimes, will he have the power to make those decisions. The Fins cap has been in good shape for a few years but the Fins' front office need to ease the apprehension of the candidates regarding that. What the Fins really need is a person that is good at evaluating and keeping talent, has final say on those decisions, and can bring in free agents to meet team needs. Also, I think Philbin deserves another year or 2 to prove himself but at some point he needs to be responsible for the team's success. I think hiring Lazor was a good move and could help the team alot. The foundations are in place to be a winner instead of being stuck in mediocrity.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes agreed I'd have no problem with him staying on as assistant GM makes for a smoother transition.

Do you guys think they are waiting for someone off the seahawks or broncos? They may already have a deal but don't wish to announce it yet.

I just read that Nick Caserio of the Pats' personnel dept. will be interviewing for the avail GM position.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they should look at him for sure....

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the latest on the GM search via Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald
Though owner Stephen Ross loves Tony Dungy and gave thought to hiring a football czar who would oversee over his GM, he knew luring Dungy wasn’t realistic, and he decided not to give Carl Peterson the job, even though a friend said Peterson would be interested.

“I have not had any conversation with the Dolphins about a position with their organization, nor do I intend to do so,” Dungy said this week. “…I have retired from the NFL and will not be returning in any capacity.”

So instead of a football czar choosing a GM, Ross is doing it himself, and as of early afternoon Friday, had candidates remaining from only losing franchises (his own, Tennessee, Tampa Bay), with four candidates having declined interviews and a fifth (Ray Farmer) declining a follow-up interview. And so it goes.

But internal candidate Brian Gaine is respected around the league, and his chances increase at least somewhat with Farmer's decision not to pursue the job further. If Lake Dawson gets the job, Peterson's influence would again be apparent; he drafted Dawson and thinks highly of him.

### As the Dolphins prepare to interview Dawson and Gaine again, they also remain in conversations with Tampa Bay player personnel executive Dennis Hickey.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, today at 4 is the Senior Bowl - Be sure to watch as some good prospects and choices for the Fins will be on there.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be against Gaine as walker said they could just reset next year if they fail...but on the other hand that could cost them a year if that happens. A fresh view may be better at this point. Maybe a guy like Caserio could bring in that confidence although I'm hesitant with those patsie people....