• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Unique mid to upper tier bourbons

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I've been thinking for a while that I'd like to find a bottle of Bourbon that is a little harder to come by, and at the mid tier and above price range to save for a special event. (First child's birth or 10 year anniversary maybe). I was hoping some of you fellow bourbon lovers might be able to make some suggestions. I don't mind spending money, but I want it to be worth the money I spend.

Ive seen a couple that I'm not quite sure are what I'm looking for. Jeffersons presidential select 25 yr certainly fits the price bill, but I'm not certain the quality is there. I've read some reviews that suggest it's not quite as good as you'd thinl at a price point of $125. There's a couple of bottles of the orphan barrels (rhetoric and barter house) aged around 20 years, but the reviews on those have been meh as well. I've seen the wild turkey bottle celebrating Russell's 50 years with the distillery that might fit. I'll have to do some research on that.

So I would very much appreciate your input guys. And don't say Pappy unless you're willing to sell it to me. I have zero hope of getting it here in oklahoma.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely depends on what you like in your bourbon. Expensive doesn't mean good.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely depends on what you like in your bourbon. Expensive doesn't mean good.

I like bourbons aged 10-12 years. A little older is fine, but bourbons aged around 20 years get awfully oaky. I prefer single barrels. Barrel proofs are fine. I tend towards bourbons like eagle rare and woodford reserve.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like bourbons aged 10-12 years. A little older is fine, but bourbons aged around 20 years get awfully oaky. I prefer single barrels. Barrel proofs are fine. I tend towards bourbons like eagle rare and woodford reserve.
Try some of the 4Roses bourbons. Barrel Strength is really hot to me, but the single barrel and even the base blend is nice.

Look into their coding that you'll find on the back of the bottles. It tells you about the blend, whether you're getting a spicier, fruitier, or more flowery character.

Ten Recipes of Four Roses Bourbon - Bourbonr Blog

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update here...

I've also heard great things about Evan Williams Single Barrel, surprisingly. One bottle I've been loving lately is Weller Antique. I need to pick up a Weller 12, which I hear is awesome also. (The rumor is blending 60/40 or 50/50 Antique to 12 is the "poor man's Pappy.") :noidea: I've had all the Pappy's. They're good but certainly not worth the prices they're commanding over the last few years. These are all sub $50 bottles by the way.

You mentioned the Jefferson's Presidential earlier. I've had the 25 year and it's good, but like I said, I don't think it's $65+ better than anything mentioned above. If you're looking for something a little unique though, see if you can find their Ocean Aged bourbon. It's pricier, but an interesting idea. They sent the casks out to sea on a ship so they'd be jostled constantly, giving the bourbon more contact with the wood over time. If I had more money to work with I'd definitely check that out.

IMO I'd rather drink something I enjoy than something that some "expert" rates higher than I do. Find what it is you like based on your own tastes.

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update here...

I've also heard great things about Evan Williams Single Barrel, surprisingly. One bottle I've been loving lately is Weller Antique. I need to pick up a Weller 12, which I hear is awesome also. (The rumor is blending 60/40 or 50/50 Antique to 12 is the "poor man's Pappy.") :noidea: I've had all the Pappy's. They're good but certainly not worth the prices they're commanding over the last few years. These are all sub $50 bottles by the way.

You mentioned the Jefferson's Presidential earlier. I've had the 25 year and it's good, but like I said, I don't think it's $65+ better than anything mentioned above. If you're looking for something a little unique though, see if you can find their Ocean Aged bourbon. It's pricier, but an interesting idea. They sent the casks out to sea on a ship so they'd be jostled constantly, giving the bourbon more contact with the wood over time. If I had more money to work with I'd definitely check that out.

IMO I'd rather drink something I enjoy than something that some "expert" rates higher than I do. Find what it is you like based on your own tastes.

Weller's 107 and EWSB really aren't the types bourbon I'm talking about. Though, I've had both and enjoy them consistently. Both are outstanding bourbons at their price point. I'm hoping to get som Weller 12 yr when it goes back on the shelf.

I've seen the ocean aged stuff, and that seems a little gimmicky to me. I was in the liquor store the other day and saw some Beam Distiller's select for $185, but after some research it looks like that's just their attempt to test the market for super premium priced bourbon.

I'd really really like to find a bottle of Jeffersons reserve 17 or 18 year, or any of the buffalo trace antique collection like Eagle Rare 17yr, George T. Stagg, William Larue Weller etc... I'm not sure I like my chances of getting any of those though. I also know Four Roses does a limited release select super small batch I'll be on the lookout for as well.

I bought a bottle of Blantons for some special occasions such as birthday, Anniversary, etc that I'll be trying for the first time tonight.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Blanton's is nice for sure. Very smooth to be certain. This particular bottle was bottled at 94 proof. It actually sits on the tounge like a lower proof spirit. You definitely gets some of the oakiness in the finish. Not a ton of burn. It's a very nice bourbon, but maybe just a little flat in the flavor department for my liking. I had some Booker's Friday night, and think I like it better for a bourbon in this price range.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm... Starting to get more flavors on the 4th and 5th sips. Maybe a hint of toffee and leather maybe. The woodiness is definitely prevalent on the back end. Not a particularly oily feeling bourbon.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That George T Stagg BTAC is HOT! It's about 140 proof and you feel every bit of it. IMO it's not something I'd spend that much money on because I just wouldn't enjoy drinking it much. I'm sure those Antique Collection bottles are getting scarce these days. We have a few at work but not the WLW that I'd like to try someday.

Booker's is barrel strength so you're gonna get a bigger wallop up front compared to Blanton's. Both great drinks.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which antique collection bottles do you have?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well piss. I'd love to get my hands on any antique collection bottle.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just tried some Bird Dog Maple Bourbon. It's not mid- or upper-tier, but definitely unique. Don't get it if you don't like sweet sweet whiskey, the maple is pretty strong.

I've always like sweet labels like Makers, so I liked this one too

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snagged two Elijah Craig 18 yr bottles. Will be saving those for a special occasion. I've also stocked up on Weller 12 year when I can find. Also have a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrell Proof as well.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been hitting the Pappy 15 and Weller 12 lately when I have some time to unwind. I prefer the Antique to the 12 personally, and the Pappy 15 is great but pricey. 20 and 23 are too oak forward for me, especially considering the price increase.

If you're into the real hot "fire water," look for the George T Stagg if you can find it. Plenty of flavor but the ~130+ proof is just too hot for me to enjoy without making faces with every swallow.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been hitting the Pappy 15 and Weller 12 lately when I have some time to unwind. I prefer the Antique to the 12 personally, and the Pappy 15 is great but pricey. 20 and 23 are too oak forward for me, especially considering the price increase.

If you're into the real hot "fire water," look for the George T Stagg if you can find it. Plenty of flavor but the ~130+ proof is just too hot for me to enjoy without making faces with every swallow.

I'll never see any of the antique bottles. We do have the stagg Jr. I have a bottle of Elijah Craig barrel proof that is 139 proof. A couple drops of water really mellows it and opens up the flavor.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll add Basil Hayden to the list. Very solid bourbon. Ryes are starting to get popular again. Crown Royal made one that won best whiskey of 2015.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll add Basil Hayden to the list. Very solid bourbon. Ryes are starting to get popular again. Crown Royal made one that won best whiskey of 2015.
Sorry, 2016. And I just saw the thread on it. Guess I don't have any new info.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just did a Bourbon Trail in Kentucky. Beautiful time of year in that state. I'd tell you all about my trip of a million great things and maybe a dozen bad things but I'll skip straight to what I thought of the Bourbons. Very little of the Bourbon or Whiskey is what I would call 'unique mid to upper' but I'll just rank them based on personal preference. Some of the times price on Bourbon is purely based on proof or potency of flavor.

A+
Makers Mark Private Select

A
Bulleit Barrell Strength
Jim Beam Urban Stillhouse (Thick and Smooth)
Booker's (Great finish for a HIGH proof)
Bluegrass Sundown (Dessert beverage. Panties dropper)

A-
Maker's Mark (Classic good stuff)
Four Roses Single Barrel
Knob Creek
Bulleit Rye (Amazing Rye if you like that kind of thing)
Makers 46 (Higher Proof MM)
Bulleit Orange (Probably the best cheap stuff)

B+
Maker's White (Sipping Whiskey. Tasty and Light. Not Bourbon)
Knob Creek Maple (Probably a fantastic mixer)
Basil Hayden (A light Rye)

B
Bakers (Solid not amazing, Strong, gf hated it)
Evan Williams Master Distiller Select (Embarrassingly low for something super expensive)
Four Roses Yellow (10 recipes in one. Jack of all trades flavor. Cheap)
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale (A beer. Not bad)
Knob Creek Double Barrel (Sweet, a better American Honey)

Not Worth My Money:
Old Forester Anything I tried
Woodford Reserve Anything I tried
Four Roses Small Batch (Harsh Bite)
Evan Williams Anything I tired
Wild Turkey Anything I tried
Tom Moore Rum/Bourbon mixes

Worst thing I tried:
American Honey. (Flat, sugary rams piss)