• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tyrod Taylor gets his extension

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 years, $90M + incentives, but contains team options. I'm sure the guaranteed money will be conservative for the second half of the contract as well.

Shaggy

Administrator
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for him. I think he will do well for BB for awhile.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an awful lot of money and term for someone who has started 14 career games.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an awful lot of money and term for someone who has started 14 career games.

True, but when you look at what a guy like Osweiler got, it almost seems like a bit of a bargain for a starting NFL QB...(4yrs 72mil(18 per) vs 6 years 90mil(15 mil per))

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man from being a bench guy for the ravens with what it looks to be a short nfl career to a 6 year 90 mil deal I know that man is super happy. If he does pan out to be a great QB then buffalo got a deal for the next 6 years. If not then someone just lost their job. Either way I can see why some other non QB player like Michael Bennett can get salty about how much unproven QBs get paid lol

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but when you look at what a guy like Osweiler got, it almost seems like a bit of a bargain for a starting NFL QB...(4yrs 72mil(18 per) vs 6 years 90mil(15 mil per))
Yeah, considering the market precedent, this actually looks pretty darn good on Buffalo's end assuming Taylor doesn't implode.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guaranteed $ is important since NFL contracts aren't guaranteed. Osweiler got more and he has abt same amount of game experience.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
might become the going rate for a guy who can go through all the progressions of NFL QB play

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I am reading, 7.5 mil raise this season is all he gets. IF they pick up his team option for next year, 40.5 mil guaranteed (50 mil for injury). So he needs that team option in 2017 to be Osweiller money (2 year take of 37 mil with that option, so exactly Osweiller money).

So he really needs to play well this year to get anything beyond the raise this year. Pick up some of that situational play (3rd down, red zone, 2 min drill), and he's got a chance at it... The big risk is if he plays well but the Bills fall apart. Change head coaches for one who isn't invested in him, and have a pick to grab an elite prospect QB.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I am reading, 7.5 mil raise this season is all he gets. IF they pick up his team option for next year, 40.5 mil guaranteed (50 mil for injury). So he needs that team option in 2017 to be Osweiller money (2 year take of 37 mil with that option, so exactly Osweiller money).

So he really needs to play well this year to get anything beyond the raise this year. Pick up some of that situational play (3rd down, red zone, 2 min drill), and he's got a chance at it... The big risk is if he plays well but the Bills fall apart. Change head coaches for one who isn't invested in him, and have a pick to grab an elite prospect QB.

It's a fair deal for both sides. Tyrod gets a raise this year and, if things go well this year, will have a solid contract to reward him. If he doesn't build on last season, they can decide to go with Cardale Jones, who looked pretty good in his first action tonight, or draft another.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guaranteed $ is important since NFL contracts aren't guaranteed. Osweiler got more and he has abt same amount of game experience.

Taylor actually has double the experience and played better in those 14 games compared to the 7 for Osweiler at least stats wise. Very surprised that Taylor took this deal but he was playing for pennies on the dollar and maybe thought with the season nearing that this is better than nothing. If he had been on the FA market this year though man he would be making bank after the promise he showed last season.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor actually has double the experience and played better in those 14 games compared to the 7 for Osweiler at least stats wise. Very surprised that Taylor took this deal but he was playing for pennies on the dollar and maybe thought with the season nearing that this is better than nothing. If he had been on the FA market this year though man he would be making bank after the promise he showed last season.

I think you are right on the inability for him to hit FA. I don't know if he would have made Osweiler money, depends on how they felt about him with the team, as that's a tiny sample size there of their play on the field. Plus lots of one hit wonders who do it with great athleticism and soon after fail to match as teams learn to defend them, or get hurt and can't be that same guy.

But I think he got the best he can. He gets a 7.5 mil raise this year and either becomes a free agent next season (like he would have without the deal) or gets paid big time.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are right on the inability for him to hit FA. I don't know if he would have made Osweiler money, depends on how they felt about him with the team, as that's a tiny sample size there of their play on the field. Plus lots of one hit wonders who do it with great athleticism and soon after fail to match as teams learn to defend them, or get hurt and can't be that same guy.

But I think he got the best he can. He gets a 7.5 mil raise this year and either becomes a free agent next season (like he would have without the deal) or gets paid big time.

I'm just thinking he played more games than Osweiler, put up better numbers, is the duel threat QB that many teams are liking these days, and is still a very young guy in the league. So I think on the open market he would get at least as much as Osweiler. I know the Broncos are wishing he had signed with us last year when we offered him more money than what Buffalo was but Buffalo offered the better opportunity to start. At the time the Broncos were quietly trying to trade Osweiler (at least that was the whispers) and thought Taylor because he worked with Kubiak would be a very good fit as the back up/possible future starter in Denver.