• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Two games in and still plenty of ??

RoyHobbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new season is barely underway and I think we can all put to rest the summer hype that Brett Hundley is /was a Heisman Trophy candidate. This team has not been operating on all cylinders and Mora really has no excuse for that now entering his third season at the helm and I'm beginning to see a pattern here and maybe this is as good as it gets with Mora et al.
I guess I expected Hundley to hit the ground running as this will be his last year wearing the true blue and gold. Winning on the road in Charlottesville, Va. was basically a lackluster performance but we also had 4 fumbles to go along with 12 penalties. Hardly worth a top 7 ranking at the time. Coming back home to play the Memphis Tigers the Bruins dropped 4 spots in the rankings and once again did not put away an inferior foe until midway through the 4th quarter. This time we had 2 fumbles to go along with 9 penalties. These inconsistent approaches are not going to get the likes done against the upper echelon of teams in the PAC-12. I'm talking about Oregon, Stanford and throw in USC for that matter. I could easily see this team going 6-6 by the time this season is all said and done. We've been the favorite in the first two games and haven't put either team away like championship teams do. We travel to Austin to play the Longhorns and don't think for a minute that this team will play like UCLA's previous two opponents. Jim Mora better have a good game plan this coming Saturday.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new season is barely underway and I think we can all put to rest the summer hype that Brett Hundley is /was a Heisman Trophy candidate. This team has not been operating on all cylinders and Mora really has no excuse for that now entering his third season at the helm and I'm beginning to see a pattern here and maybe this is as good as it gets with Mora et al.
I guess I expected Hundley to hit the ground running as this will be his last year wearing the true blue and gold. Winning on the road in Charlottesville, Va. was basically a lackluster performance but we also had 4 fumbles to go along with 12 penalties. Hardly worth a top 7 ranking at the time. Coming back home to play the Memphis Tigers the Bruins dropped 4 spots in the rankings and once again did not put away an inferior foe until midway through the 4th quarter. This time we had 2 fumbles to go along with 9 penalties. These inconsistent approaches are not going to get the likes done against the upper echelon of teams in the PAC-12. I'm talking about Oregon, Stanford and throw in USC for that matter. I could easily see this team going 6-6 by the time this season is all said and done. We've been the favorite in the first two games and haven't put either team away like championship teams do. We travel to Austin to play the Longhorns and don't think for a minute that this team will play like UCLA's previous two opponents. Jim Mora better have a good game plan this coming Saturday.

Calm down. Two PAC-12 South Championship in three seasons is nothing to wince about. Now, with that stated, I think your team is struggling to find an identity. I think Mora wants people to think you're a tough defensive minded team but I don't really see that.. Also, when I think of UCLA I don't think of a power offense. So what does that leave? Well, I think you have talented players and that's carrying you.. Mora has shown that his team's are undisciplined and lazy with ball security. That's fine. But, if you're going to play that way you need swagger, real toughness, and unbreakable confidence. Right now I don't see that.

RoyHobbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calm down. Two PAC-12 South Championship in three seasons is nothing to wince about.

I guess winning the PAC-12 south is worthy of some kind of an award. But being thoroughly dominated in the first championship game by Oregon and in the next game by Stanford really leaves you questioning your abilities when you then accept a bowl bid. How did it feel when ASU lost the championship game to Stanford last year ? We lost twice to them that year by a combined total of 61 points in back to back games.

We open the PAC-12 season on Thursday 09/25 in Tempe. Your Sun Devils will be favored and pretty much the whole Bruin season will be riding on this very game. Except for Colorado and WSU, I think the whole PAC-12 fields very competitive teams with Oregon being the cream of the crop led by Mr. Mariota.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess winning the PAC-12 south is worthy of some kind of an award. But being thoroughly dominated in the first championship game by Oregon and in the next game by Stanford really leaves you questioning your abilities when you then accept a bowl bid. How did it feel when ASU lost the championship game to Stanford last year ? We lost twice to them that year by a combined total of 61 points in back to back games.

We open the PAC-12 season on Thursday 09/25 in Tempe. Your Sun Devils will be favored and pretty much the whole Bruin season will be riding on this very game. Except for Colorado and WSU, I think the whole PAC-12 fields very competitive teams with Oregon being the cream of the crop led by Mr. Mariota.

Oregon had immediate success under Bellotti but it still took him 6 seasons to get to a BCS Bowl. The year before Harbaugh became head coach at Stanford they went 1-11.. In one of the fastest program turnarounds in the modern era, they won the Orange Bowl four seasons later. In Mora's first two seasons he's 19-8.. That's better than both Harbaugh's and Bellotti's first two seasons. I get it, UCLA had more success than Oregon and Stanford prior to their turnarounds but it still takes time to become a contender. ASU's sort of in the same boat. As much as I want them to win NOW, I know it takes time.

overtone22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hundley has all the talent to be a Heisman stud, but UCLA's offensive line is pretty weak. It really should come as no surprise. They were weak last year, and they are weak again this year. That is the main source of our troubles, and that is what is holding Hundley back. I'd like to say we rectified some things in the Memphis game, but it was...well...Memphis.

Now, with that stated, I think your team is struggling to find an identity.

I think your overall assessment of things is correct. Right now, UCLA has no identity. After week one, you would say the Bruins are a defensive team. After weak two, one would say they are an offensive team. There hasn't been any consistency yet and there are serious chemistry issues on both sides of the ball.

From what I've gathered so far, it all stems from the line play on both sides. Both offensive and defensive lines are inconsistent as hell. They show flashes of brilliance one moment, and then just completely collapse or are non-existent the next. Until we get some consistency in our line play, we will struggle.

RoyHobbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hundley has all the talent to be a Heisman stud, but UCLA's offensive line is pretty weak. It really should come as no surprise. They were weak last year, and they are weak again this year. That is the main source of our troubles, and that is what is holding Hundley back. I'd like to say we rectified some things in the Memphis game, but it was...well...Memphis.

Look, Hundley does some things well this I can agree with you. But compared to the other real Heisman trophy candidates, he falls far short. This is Mora's third year on the job, I gave him a pass his first year. But how many years will it take to field a decent OL ? Myles Jack was quoted earlier this week and said , ''We have to take care of internally what is going on in that locker room.''
That doesn't bode well for a team with high aspirations.What does it say when a team ranked below 100 is able to amass 469 yards in the Rose Bowl ? If we can't put away the weaker foes, what will happen when the upper echelon teams come to town ?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know my opinion will be taken with a grain of salt seeing as I'm a Trojan. However, I think that there are 2 things at play here.

1.) Too much success too soon. After the Neuheisel era, it seemed that UCLA was so far down that they would need at least 3-4 years to be serious PAC contenders. However, Mora was able to "rally the troops" and get the Bruins in the mix quicker than expected. I think Mora is the right coach for your program, but winning the South in his first season raised expectations more quickly than the team was prepared for.

2.) Speaking of raised expectations. People talk about UCLA winning 2 of 3 PAC South titles, but seem to forget that the first PAC South title was under Neuheisel and with a team that was 6-6. That team "won" the South because USC was unable to participate in the post season.

Bottom line, Mora has this team headed in the right direction and I expect that the PAC South will come down to USC and UCLA most seasons while he is your coach. ASU will likely make noise from time to time, but I think it's going to be between USC and UCLA most seasons.

I also think you will be fine this season as well. Just a slow start as a result of not being used to the pressure that comes with being considered a national title contender. If both stay healthy, the USC/UCLA game will likely decide the South this year.

RoyHobbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know my opinion will be taken with a grain of salt seeing as I'm a Trojan. However, I think that there are 2 things at play here.

2.) Speaking of raised expectations. People talk about UCLA winning 2 of 3 PAC South titles, but seem to forget that the first PAC South title was under Neuheisel and with a team that was 6-6. That team "won" the South because USC was unable to participate in the post season.

Bottom line, Mora has this team headed in the right direction and I expect that the PAC South will come down to USC and UCLA most seasons while he is your coach. ASU will likely make noise from time to time, but I think it's going to be between USC and UCLA most seasons.

I also think you will be fine this season as well. Just a slow start as a result of not being used to the pressure that comes with being considered a national title contender. If both stay healthy, the USC/UCLA game will likely decide the South this year.

You are exactly right about that first PAC-12 title TF12. I for one take no pride in the fact that we " back door'd " our way into the PAC-12 Championship game that 2011 season. We weren't the best team in the south and that was proven when we got beat 49-31. It kinda like feels like going to the prom with your sister. Sure, you're glad to be going, but you aren't going anywhere after the dance except back home.
As far as being in contention for the South Title this year, all that I see is inconsistency on both sides of the ball. Its one thing to get away with that when you play sub par teams ( Memphis & Texas ) but except for Colorado, the next nine games seem rather daunting.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are exactly right about that first PAC-12 title TF12. I for one take no pride in the fact that we " back door'd " our way into the PAC-12 Championship game that 2011 season. We weren't the best team in the south and that was proven when we got beat 49-31. It kinda like feels like going to the prom with your sister. Sure, you're glad to be going, but you aren't going anywhere after the dance except back home.
As far as being in contention for the South Title this year, all that I see is inconsistency on both sides of the ball. Its one thing to get away with that when you play sub par teams ( Memphis & Texas ) but except for Colorado, the next nine games seem rather daunting.

Yeah. I have a couple of friends who are UCLA fans and we were talking about that. You guys have a tough stretch coming up. The schedule makers definitely didn't do you any favors as it is, and ending the season with USC and Stanford back to back, seems like you guys may have pissed them off.

Not only do you get the top 3 teams in the North, you end the season with your crosstown rival and the most physical team in the conference. That's just brutal.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoyHobbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I have a couple of friends who are UCLA fans and we were talking about that. You guys have a tough stretch coming up. The schedule makers definitely didn't do you any favors as it is, and ending the season with USC and Stanford back to back, seems like you guys may have pissed them off.

Not only do you get the top 3 teams in the North, you end the season with your crosstown rival and the most physical team in the conference. That's just brutal.

Yea, I know that you mean that tongue-in-cheek about pissing of the schedule makers. But looking at the whole conference from top to bottom ( unfortunately that includes the red headed step child of Colorado and that black sheep of the family Mike Leach ) I think we match up very well with any other power 5 conference. With 5 teams currently in the top 25 AP poll and Oregon on the cusp of a NC I think that speaks loudly of where the PAC-12 is. I really believe that if the Ducks were to bring home the title, that would garner some well deserved respect ( especially if Oregon could beat an SEC team ). :suds:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I know that you mean that tongue-in-cheek about pissing of the schedule makers. But looking at the whole conference from top to bottom ( unfortunately that includes the red headed step child of Colorado and that black sheep of the family Mike Leach ) I think we match up very well with any other power 5 conference. With 5 teams currently in the top 25 AP poll and Oregon on the cusp of a NC I think that speaks loudly of where the PAC-12 is. I really believe that if the Ducks were to bring home the title, that would garner some well deserved respect ( especially if Oregon could beat an SEC team ). :suds:

:agree: Also, the PAC has been a tough conference for a good bit longer than most care to admit. During USC's run under Pete Carroll, it seemed like no one could beat us except PAC teams.

Sid Mead

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: Also, the PAC has been a tough conference for a good bit longer than most care to admit. During USC's run under Pete Carroll, it seemed like no one could beat us except PAC teams.

< Ahem > truth be told, the NCAA beat up USC pretty good and that includes taking a NC away. Hard to compete against the NCAA. Just ask Pat Haden.
:L

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
< Ahem > truth be told, the NCAA beat up USC pretty good and that includes taking a NC away. Hard to compete against the NCAA. Just ask Pat Haden.
:L

What's that saying? You can't fight city hall.:lol: