• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp Discussion Thread

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but at an injury risk!

If we sign ET to a 4 year extension, what is the probability that Earl PLAYS all 4 years at an All-Pro Level?

Or does it NOT matter?

It doesn't matter. The FO can not in no way run a franchise because of fear of a possible injury concern down the road.

Example I'll give you is Brian Dawkins. Played at a high level for many many years in Philly but the FO cut bait cause they thought he had lost a step. He signed with Denver and finished out his career still playing at a high level. A mistake the Eagles brass finally admitted to.

If ET is still playing at a high level then sign him cause I don't want to see another BD repeat to help another team.

rightstuff

Trump convicted on Washing Money.LOL.
Hoopla Cash
$ 13.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If ET is still playing at a high level then sign him cause

I think I echo this thought. Just NOT for 4 Years.
Give Earl 2 or 3, then let him earn more.

Kam got an extension, then got injured (I love Kam) but he helped the Hawks for 1 of the 3 years.

NO WAY we extend Earl for MORE than this year and 2 more.
Pay Earl and Gaurentee NO MORE than the 2 years.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I echo this thought. Just NOT for 4 Years.
Give Earl 2 or 3, then let him earn more.

Kam got an extension, then got injured (I love Kam) but he helped the Hawks for 1 of the 3 years.

NO WAY we extend Earl for MORE than this year and 2 more.
Pay Earl and Gaurentee NO MORE than the 2 years.

Maybe ET takes the 3 yr deal with most of the money up front.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, I'll try my spin/opinion/

Sure, NFL players have a short career, but they make massive money. Most of them. Like ET has.
$10 Million is MORE than most of us will EVER make in a lifetime, and ET has exceeded that by far.
I do feel they should earn HUGE $$$$, BUT ET already has.

BUT, the team needs to exercise their options, because PA has Billions BUT is ONLY allowed to spend so much.

Earl has already earned enough to live the life of luxuary. FACT.

They signed KAM, and it will cost the Seahawks. Not PA, but the Seahawks. Kam is NOT retired, so will continue to draw his guaranteed salary and affect the CAP. This HURTS the Team.

I have no idea why people keep comparing players to average people. What does that have to do with anything?

What matters is where he stacks up against his peers.

And to be clear MOST NFL players don't make massive money. Some of the stars do. The length of the average NFL career tops out at 3-4 years, and players are still on their rookie deals for that time-frame.

Why do players hold out for immediate money? Because of 2 reasons.

1. NFL salaries (besides a few exceptions) are not guaranteed.
2. As happened to Kam, and Avril, their careers can go from pro-bowl to out of the league on ONE PLAY.

Would I PREFER Earl to be in camp? Sure I would.

Do I also UNDERSTAND why he's holding out? Sure I do. Just like Atlanta understood when Julio Jones held out.

Why do NFL stars hold out?

Because sometimes,

Julio Jones, Falcons agree to reworked deal for 2018, plan to talk about new contract

that happens.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be what happens.

FO can tag him 3 more times if they want which I don't see happening but def could see him tagged next off season and then a contract in hand to end his career a Hawk.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My prediction on Earl, he holds out, the Seahawks hold firm. Earl misses a few regular season games and comes back just in time so he will lose the ability to be an unrestricted free agent next year. The Seahawks tag, him then try to trade him

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where was this guy on your depth chart? Another younger one with the concussions

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where was this guy on your depth chart? Another younger one with the concussions

I don't know. I didn't really know he was on the team until this happened. He kind've slipped through the radar. Hell, I haven't even thought of him much since I mocked him to Seattle in 2016, before he actually went to SD.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Main reason why the Patriots have been able to sustain their run is the fact that they don't pay people for what they've done... They pay people for what they believe they will do... Why would we pay Earl top money when he's on the other side of his prime? We'd basically be paying him for what he's done, not what he's going to do... I don't like paying players top money at their position in their 3rd contract unless it's a QB (i.e. Tom Brady; Aaron Rodgers... I would include RW as well)...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter. The FO can not in no way run a franchise because of fear of a possible injury concern down the road.

Example I'll give you is Brian Dawkins. Played at a high level for many many years in Philly but the FO cut bait cause they thought he had lost a step. He signed with Denver and finished out his career still playing at a high level. A mistake the Eagles brass finally admitted to.

If ET is still playing at a high level then sign him cause I don't want to see another BD repeat to help another team.

That rarely happens though... One of the few people I've been happy about giving top money to a player in their 3rd contract was Walter Jones... He was as committed, loyal to the frachise as they come... Thomas isn't as committed to the franchise imo, which is another reason I don't want to pay him... I would rather save the money and use it to make a serious run in '19... Plus i'd like to see what Tedric brings to the table...

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea why people keep comparing players to average people. What does that have to do with anything?

What matters is where he stacks up against his peers.

And to be clear MOST NFL players don't make massive money. Some of the stars do. The length of the average NFL career tops out at 3-4 years, and players are still on their rookie deals for that time-frame.

We must have different definitions of "massive money".

If the average NFL career is the rookie contract, that's 465k year one, 540k year two, 615k year 3 and 690k year 4. So that's either 1.6 million for 3 years or 2.3 mil for 4. It will probably take me my whole life to make 2.3 million dollars.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We must have different definitions of "massive money".

If the average NFL career is the rookie contract, that's 465k year one, 540k year two, 615k year 3 and 690k year 4. So that's either 1.6 million for 3 years or 2.3 mil for 4. It will probably take me my whole life to make 2.3 million dollars.

Again, comparing them to US, is silly.

It'll take me five lifetimes to make what Tom Cruise makes on his latest movie.

But people aren't lining up to see chf pretend to kill bad guys.

What he makes compared to me, is irrelevant.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Main reason why the Patriots have been able to sustain their run is the fact that they don't pay people for what they've done... They pay people for what they believe they will do... Why would we pay Earl top money when he's on the other side of his prime? We'd basically be paying him for what he's done, not what he's going to do... I don't like paying players top money at their position in their 3rd contract unless it's a QB (i.e. Tom Brady; Aaron Rodgers... I would include RW as well)...

I'd agree with this in theory. And if people want to JUST make the financial argument, I've got no bones to pick with them. But I don't get the need to bad-mouth them when they've been not just good players for us, but stars - some of the best Seahawks of all time.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree with this in theory. And if people want to JUST make the financial argument, I've got no bones to pick with them. But I don't get the need to bad-mouth them when they've been not just good players for us, but stars - some of the best Seahawks of all time.

I'd agree with that point about Sherman but not about Bennett... People were bad mouthing Bennett for a few years now... His act was getting old along w/ all his offside penalties... That is one guy i'm very happy to see exit this team... I hope that Sherman will retire as a Seahawk and get into our Ring of Honor...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's great to hear that the OL has been playing with more power and winning their share of the blocking drills in camp...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree with that point about Sherman but not about Bennett... People were bad mouthing Bennett for a few years now... His act was getting old along w/ all his offside penalties... That is one guy i'm very happy to see exit this team... I hope that Sherman will retire as a Seahawk and get into our Ring of Honor...

I think people take Bennett too far, but I can see the point with him if I try hard enough. But Sherman absolutely. And Thomas? Well he looks like a choirboy next to Sherman.

But we saw this when Kam held out too. People get all angsty when players step outside the bounds of what they consider acceptable. Kam was never in trouble, mentored younger players, played his ass, er neck off for this franchise.

But when he held out, reading on here, you'd have thought he was Greg Hardy.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's great to hear that the OL has been playing with more power and winning their share of the blocking drills in camp...
Yep. I read yesterday that Fant was back on the field. I'm rooting for that guy.