• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade deadline/Playoff push

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but both are rentals vs a franchise type pitcher. It's never going to happen, but they should at least ask before getting the door slammed on them...and ya, they have no reason to trade him.

True, but almost all deadline deals are for rental players. The off-season is where you can get the game changers that you have control of. Jerry missed that opportunity last year when they could've had Verlander because he'd already dealt the one prospect that Detroit would've swallowed some money on.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but almost all deadline deals are for rental players.

Any other year I would agree with you, but it is a new day in baseball where 95% of the teams are not trying to win and just trying to sell off contracts. I haven't looked up if any type player/team exists where this makes sense, but I think it is out there this year opposed to years past.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any other year I would agree with you, but it is a new day in baseball where 95% of the teams are not trying to win and just trying to sell off contracts. I haven't looked up if any type player/team exists where this makes sense, but I think it is out there this year opposed to years past.

Looking up a few higher paid vets on losing teams, well there wasn't as many as hoped but there were a few.

1- Danny Duffy - $54M thru 2021 season owed (from now til end of 2021). He has had better years, but is under control and only 29.

2- Mike Minor - $23M owed thru 2020. Texas may want to get out of deal he just signed. Hasn't pitched as well as hoped, but has been better lately.

3- Ivan Nova - $13M million owed thru 2019. Steady pitcher and RH. Could do worse.

That is about all I have outside of Happ and Hamels. I am sure I missed a guy or two.

I wish Dip would just sign a stud in the off season, but that isn't his thing. I guess this year that was a good thing because the top 3 free agent pitchers have really disappointed.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True, but baseball as a whole in the past few years haven't been giving out the huge terrible contracts. I see your point completely, but I just don't think (I've only skimmed the rumors) but there doesn't seem to be too many salary dump guys who aren't basically rentals.

I wish we could go back in time and have traded for Verlander last August.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but baseball as a whole in the past few years haven't been giving out the huge terrible contracts.

As I was looking up guys, I thought that exact same thing. Baseball got smart at least with pitchers.

I wish we could go back in time and have traded for Verlander last August.

I wasn't real disappointed when we didn't him because I thought he was a Felix trend, but boy I was wrong on that. But would he have okayed a trade to Seattle?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I was looking up guys, I thought that exact same thing. Baseball got smart at least with pitchers.

I wasn't real disappointed when we didn't him because I thought he was a Felix trend, but boy I was wrong on that. But would he have okayed a trade to Seattle?

The last part for sure. Kate Upton would love to be closer to either of the coasts and boys do what their women say, at least if she looks like that. Plus, with him passing through waivers doesn't it void the no trade clause since he hit the waiver wire? I'm not sure how that exactly works.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, with him passing through waivers doesn't it void the no trade clause since he hit the waiver wire? I'm not sure how that exactly works.

I thought that a couple years back when a guy had us on his no-trade list and I asked a writer and they said it doesn't void the contract. Contract remains in place.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that a couple years back when a guy had us on his no-trade list and I asked a writer and they said it doesn't void the contract. Contract remains in place.

Ya, no idea how it works, just seems if he should lose that if 29 teams don't put a claim on him as opposed to normal trades where the player can semi control his destiny. The no trade clause thing is dumb anyways since it is waived 99% of the time.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking up a few higher paid vets on losing teams, well there wasn't as many as hoped but there were a few.

1- Danny Duffy - $54M thru 2021 season owed (from now til end of 2021). He has had better years, but is under control and only 29.

2- Mike Minor - $23M owed thru 2020. Texas may want to get out of deal he just signed. Hasn't pitched as well as hoped, but has been better lately.

3- Ivan Nova - $13M million owed thru 2019. Steady pitcher and RH. Could do worse.

That is about all I have outside of Happ and Hamels. I am sure I missed a guy or two.

I wish Dip would just sign a stud in the off season, but that isn't his thing. I guess this year that was a good thing because the top 3 free agent pitchers have really disappointed.

yeah im doing the same thing ..and passed on those guys as well

but there is one more place to look and that is at AAA..PCL and international league ..click pitching..SO ...then see who has more SO,s than innings ..then see who has a good era..not a good chance any of the teams want to give those guys up
but ya never know..they should go on the list anyway....even if it is a dream......lol

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so i was doing that exact thing when i saw luis perdomo..who pitched for san diego last year..is now at there AAA
went 8-11 last year with a 4.67 in 163 innings 118 so two seam fast ball guy..and that is not great...which is why he is at AAA
but my point is there are pitchers down there....if you can find one that will suit

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just for example ..daniel poncedeleon (st louis) AAA 7-3..257 era 77 inings pitched 91 SOs...yeah not a good chance on that one

either way its not easy to put two teams together for a trade some times...when you are talking high rated ..or high saleried or talented players..on both sides

Last edited:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as starting pitcher is a need, I think something that should be looked at is a RH bat that can play CF. Heredia is great defensively but just isn't providing anything at the plate lately. His June was about as good as Romines offensively. I think getting someone that could allow Heredia to go back to AAA until September would be a good thing.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah heredia is like that.. streaky..just gotta put span in there
cuz john andreoli is hitting 270 at tacoma right now..and ian miller is L/L.

yeah there seems to be a hole there

braden bishop is R/R but at AA gotta wait for next year for him..and logan tayler is the next R/R LF but he is at AA as well
not hitting all that well with a 244

guys wont come up as fast as you would like them to sometimes..so yeah they need a right handed hitter at tacoma

one more year for everything to balance out i think..in the minors

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kyle lewis is next on that list so those who think the mariners will trade him i disagree..at least this year........ but part of the prob is he has been injured so much we have not really gotten a good look..but if he does well in the second half we will prob see him at AA next year

more likly is vogy (then we would see curletta1B and falia DH at tacoma next year) or falia and falia is the better hitter..,miranda..cano is the big chip

they can only do what they can do(the mariners)..they dont have a houston minors system.............yet.lol

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FALIA...nice beard

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
think of this the future with rowdy Tellez. toronto 1B L/L( i have had an eye on him sense he was drafted from elk grove cal) and vogy as dh L/L..that is a possible HR machine
with cano and donaldson for the next five years

while happ is on his last year he does better in toronto..so i will give them miranda ,romine ,vogy and cano

and i will take sanchez R/R RHP and solarte S/R utility and ...a prospect or two .. idk on who

they are not going anywhere this year but that gives them better odds for the future
in a division with NYyankees and boston

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as starting pitcher is a need, I think something that should be looked at is a RH bat that can play CF. Heredia is great defensively but just isn't providing anything at the plate lately. His June was about as good as Romines offensively. I think getting someone that could allow Heredia to go back to AAA until September would be a good thing.

yep and that would fiil them up ....except for that last outfielder..elusive..and perkins did not pan out so far

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ya I have been saying the same thing as well. I have said from Day 1 that Heredia is a great 4th OF and that hasn't changed.

Broxton was one guy I was hoping for from Brewers. He just got called up and is still more in the potential phase than pure production phase.

JaCoby Jones for Tigers was also a thought because he can fly but hits like Heredia.

Pillar from Jays would be awesome, but doubt he is available.

Merrifield from KC is a great get but probably untouchable. Plays 1B, 2B, CF, RF and can hit and steal bases. A perfect Mariner.

I am sure there are more but was just working from the top of my head.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya I have been saying the same thing as well. I have said from Day 1 that Heredia is a great 4th OF and that hasn't changed.

Broxton was one guy I was hoping for from Brewers. He just got called up and is still more in the potential phase than pure production phase.

JaCoby Jones for Tigers was also a thought because he can fly but hits like Heredia.

Pillar from Jays would be awesome, but doubt he is available.

Merrifield from KC is a great get but probably untouchable. Plays 1B, 2B, CF, RF and can hit and steal bases. A perfect Mariner.

I am sure there are more but was just working from the top of my head.

Pillar was actually the first name that popped into my head, however I looked up his offensive numbers and they aren't great. Still an upgrade tho. In all seriousness I would gauge Adam Jones. Not great defensively and not having his best offensive year with free agency pending. There probably aren't a ton of great names out there. The best one would probably be Starling Marte but that's probably too pricey